Crashed today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 lucky day when you walk/ride away! Glad your ok!

I never know when I'm going to jump on the bike and take off. More often than not it's a window of time, and not a break in the weather, that decides when and where I go.

Just replaced tires with the same sticky Avon Storms. The last pair didn't last as long as I would have liked, and I cried about the cost! It's stories like these that bring it back into perspective!

Really glad you are okay. Remember, you are on drill status to and from drill. Report any injury to your chain of command, could save you down the road.

Dago

With all due respect, WRONG!!!! If you're in a hurry, you're likely to take more risks.
Just because you're in a hurry doesn't mean that good (riding/driving) judgement goes out the window.

Riding a bike is already a risky way to travel. Add something (such as being late) which negatively affects your concentration and a bad outcome is far more likely.
The first part of that statement has nothing to do with the last. Careless behavior gives rise to bad outcomes regardless of the mode of transportation.

Sure, you have a chance of arriving earlier on a fast bike, but you also have a greater than usual chance of not arriving at all.
So I got to wonder why you have an FJR if you'd never "hurry" on it. Do you always ride the posted speed limits or below? Unless you answer yes to that question your statements just don't ring true. Riding or driving is all about focus (in a hurry or not), for your safety and the safety of everyone else on the road.

JMHO YMMV

Wrong if you are in a hurry you must take the bike it is probably much faster then any of your cars:lol:

With all due respect, WRONG!!!! If you're in a hurry, you're likely to take more risks. Riding a bike is already a risky way to travel. Add something (such as being late) which negatively affects your concentration and a bad outcome is far more likely.

Sure, you have a chance of arriving earlier on a fast bike, but you also have a greater than usual chance of not arriving at all.
lighten up, did you not see the LOL. Jesus

+1 lucky day when you walk/ride away! Glad your ok!

I never know when I'm going to jump on the bike and take off. More often than not it's a window of time, and not a break in the weather, that decides when and where I go.

Just replaced tires with the same sticky Avon Storms. The last pair didn't last as long as I would have liked, and I cried about the cost! It's stories like these that bring it back into perspective!
DARKSIDE

Crashing sucks, but riding away with no tickets makes it a good day in my book.

I just gotta add that riding can save a lot of time when getting somewhere in traffic. Even those of us that don't have the option of lane splitting can take advantage of our slim profile and brutal acceleration to get around that idiot that's hogging the left lane and blocking traffic. Now way I can fit my crew cab dually pickup through the gap I can ride my bike through!

Wrong if you are in a hurry you must take the bike it is probably much faster then any of your cars:lol:

With all due respect, WRONG!!!! If you're in a hurry, you're likely to take more risks. Riding a bike is already a risky way to travel. Add something (such as being late) which negatively affects your concentration and a bad outcome is far more likely.

Wise words...being late and the associated adrenalin from trying to "not get in trouble" with the chain of command...can affect reasoning and judgement and cause you to twist the wrist greater than conditions allow...NOT saying that this was the case for the original poster at all...but it could happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your bike can be replaced or fixed back to new; you can't. Count your blessings and keep things in proper perspective. Needless to say; it was a damn good day and you're still with us. Heal up and take care.

I always take something away from a crash. Back in the day it was broken parts, bruises and a promise not to do that quite the same way again.

Now might be a good time to check over your gear, perhaps consider an upgrade to protect them knees in the future.

Glad you were able to post from somewhere other than a hospital room, that alone makes it a good day !

can you post pics of the damaged bike and damaged knee ???

dick.gif

I post pictures Saturday, I opened a "photobucket" account just to do that. I have already rubbed out as many as would come. I think that what saved both my bike and but was how slow I was going when we hit the cliff. I was lucky it was softish dirt not rock either way.

I guess I reacted with the reflexes of a cat in keeping the bike upright on the road, but I could have used the guts of Chuck Yeager and the reflexes of a flat tracker. Then I could have stylishly slid through the whole thing and made it with just an unbelievable story.

Either way, pictures are coming. Does any one know if you can but just the rubber base for the front blinker? Also, does anyone have those aftermarket LED flush mount blinkers? (I have a gen 1) THANKS