Crashed today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supertankerm60a3

Reaction score
Well here is the extremely condensed version...

Hello. WHAT?!? Drill... today! NOW? On my way, be there in 3 hours.

120MPH Hey dummy don't forget the plug in your rear tire, slow down.

80MPH All's well.

HMMmm... That looks like a thunder storm.

That looks like a nasty thunderstorm.

WOW that lightning was close.

Light rain, slow down, worn tires

HEAVY rain real slow, hard to see.

HAIL! Slow down more, I miss my knuckle gloves, boots are filling with water going this slow.

Heavy water on road Washover dirt on road.

WHOA! sliding! keep the bike up.

SHOULDER!

DITCH!

CLIFF!

OUCH!

Cool, nothing seems broken.

Wriggle out from between bike and cliff.

Pick up bike, reset left mirror, move to flat area.

Remove broken right turn signal.

Pickup right saddlebag, put blinker and crampbuster in it.

Get going. Real sore right knee.

Total damage a lot of scratches on the lower fairing some on the upper, 75% will rub out I hope, and a broken left blinker.

Made it to drill. Still not sure If I should count today as a good day or a bad day.

You lived to tell the tail so I would count that as a Good day. Probably a few lessons to be learned as well also not a bad thing, expensive maybe.

Glad your mostly ok.

You lived to tell the tail so I would count that as a Good day. +1

Upright not Uptight

Regards

Surly

:ph34r:

Glad to hear your fine!

I'll bet drill really sucked with sore knees!

Welcome to the
crashclub.gif
!!!

You can link this in your signature if you wish! :)

Well here is the extremely condensed version...

Hello. WHAT?!? Drill... today! NOW? On my way, be there in 3 hours.

120MPH Hey dummy don't forget the plug in your rear tire, slow down.

80MPH All's well.

HMMmm... That looks like a thunder storm.

That looks like a nasty thunderstorm.

WOW that lightning was close.

Light rain, slow down, worn tires

HEAVY rain real slow, hard to see.

HAIL! Slow down more, I miss my knuckle gloves, boots are filling with water going this slow.

Heavy water on road Washover dirt on road.

WHOA! sliding! keep the bike up.

SHOULDER!

DITCH!

CLIFF!

OUCH!

Cool, nothing seems broken.

Wriggle out from between bike and cliff.

Pick up bike, reset left mirror, move to flat area.

Remove broken right turn signal.

Pickup right saddlebag, put blinker and crampbuster in it.

Get going. Real sore right knee.

Total damage a lot of scratches on the lower fairing some on the upper, 75% will rub out I hope, and a broken left blinker.

Made it to drill. Still not sure If I should count today as a good day or a bad day.
You're typing I would call it a good day...and ouch...stuff happens ...glad you appear to be OK

Willie

Any one you pick up parts, and drive on is a great day! I am sure you learned a lesson of some type that will make you a better, smarter rider. I know I did from my get off.

I am happy for you and your family, you are well, and while the money to repair hurts, not as bad as a body healing.

Regards,

Lee

Only those of us who have made the same errors in calculating our decisions, with similar results, can understand.

Having slid mine into a ditch in BC crossing a wet wooden bridge in Sept., but it was Barb's fault.

Be thankful the damage was as slight as it was. Be extra thankful there were no opposing vehicles. Be extremely thankful you weren't severely injured and were able to continue.

Two more thoughts to aid your emotional recovery:

1.) Stupid hurts (and it hurts more when you're my age).

2.) Don't do that again!

Last edited by a moderator:
... Still not sure If I should count today as a good day or a bad day.
Guess I'd count you as unlucky with the conditions, and lucky to have survived (mostly) ok. Sounds like the outcome could have been a lot worse.

Please don't take this as criticism, just my own rule.

"If you're in a hurry, don't take the bike, take the car."

I suppose the corollary is "If you are in a hurry and MUST take the bike, ride it as if you're not in a hurry."

Once when late I took the bike and this happened - nothing like as nasty as yours, but unnecessary. And I had no "bad weather" excuse.

Ps. I assume you didn't go over a cliff, ended up against the bottom of it? Hmm. Could have been a lot worse.

Sucks man - you have my sympathy

"worn tires" - I hear you, with rain and shit on the road I really like good tires. Like a man said - 'if you think safety is expensive, try having an accident'

... Still not sure If I should count today as a good day or a bad day.
Guess I'd count you as unlucky with the conditions, and lucky to have survived (mostly) ok. Sounds like the outcome could have been a lot worse.

Please don't take this as criticism, just my own rule.

"If you're in a hurry, don't take the bike, take the car."

I suppose the corollary is "If you are in a hurry and MUST take the bike, ride it as if you're not in a hurry."

Once when late I took the bike and this happened - nothing like as nasty as yours, but unnecessary. And I had no "bad weather" excuse.

Ps. I assume you didn't go over a cliff, ended up against the bottom of it? Hmm. Could have been a lot worse.
Wrong if you are in a hurry you must take the bike it is probably much faster then any of your cars:lol:

Wrong if you are in a hurry you must take the bike it is probably much faster then any of your cars:lol:

With all due respect, WRONG!!!! If you're in a hurry, you're likely to take more risks. Riding a bike is already a risky way to travel. Add something (such as being late) which negatively affects your concentration and a bad outcome is far more likely.

Sure, you have a chance of arriving earlier on a fast bike, but you also have a greater than usual chance of not arriving at all.

19 years ago I totaled a car on the way back from drill. I feel your pain and glad you're Ok.

Makes for a really profitable weekend!!!

Most of us don't/didn't join the Guard/Reserve for the money, that's for sure.

Gerry

I would say that you were able to ride away counts as a very lucky day. I pulled a similar get-off on my Iceland trip when I was gawking at the scenery instead of watching the road, ran out of road and tumbled off. I was able to upright the bike and keep going but it was extremely remote and I might still be there if I had not gotten that lucky (yes it was that remote).

Last edited by a moderator: