Creston, Kali to Stowe, VT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once you get back in Oregon give me a shout and I'll buy lunch. :D
If you come back through Montana, that goes for me too.
I think I see Northern route to Salem in the makings! :yahoo:
Here's the deal - If you let me crash at your house I'll buy you and the SO a nice dinner, if you want. It would be equivalent to a hotel room and I get a nicer place to stay, meet new/old peeps and have fun. A true win-win! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
If your mangina can handle it.. You could short cut across Canada and I could kick your ass for an hour and send you packing across Michigan..

:fuck:

If your mangina can handle it.. You could short cut across Canada and I could kick your ass for an hour and send you packing across Michigan..

WTFO do you live, sheepville?

Of course I'd like to visit your sorry broken down ooooph fart of an ass!

Hugs n' Kisses

(party on?)

While I'm in a Bustanut mood, Mapsource SUCKS.

Paid for the lifetime update.

Called customer service - ?Can I update my computer maps at my home, not work computer?"

"Of course"

Tried it tonight - not.

Contact Bill and Ray.. Those guys want to visit me (I'm such a celebrity!) and will gladly assist you on your candy ass adventure.. Shit man.. I'll even let you sleep in the breeding pen..

For free!

Called customer service - ?Can I update my computer maps at my home, not work computer?"

"Of course"

Tried it tonight - not.

Don't know why not . . . I've got Mapsource and my updated maps on 5 computers so any of them can talk to my 2720. Work PC, work laptop, home PC, Dad's PC at his house, and it's probably still on the ex Pa-in-law's PC.

When you update the computer you have to take a non-default setting somewhere, but damn if I recall exactly what they called it. By default the map update only does the device, not the computer, which is kinda stupid. To do the computer you have to select a mode where you can tell it computer, device, or both.

This is from memory from many months ago, so take it for what it's worth.

The software is not copy-protected, it will go on as many computers as you want to put it on. The unlock codes just attach it to your specific device. You can't put routes from your Mapsource on somebody else's GPS, only yours.

I-90 is the toll road right across. The only good alternative to avoiding tolls is PERHAPS from Moline, cut southeast on 74, take 70 across Ohio, 71 to Akron, 80 to 81 in PA (or 80 to 79 to 17/86 in NY), up to 88 in NY to 87 north... you'll have to figure the extra time, and whether you want to spend $50 or so to get there faster.

"Of course"

Tried it tonight - not.

Don't know why not . . . I've got Mapsource and my updated maps on 5 computers so any of them can talk to my 2720. Work PC, work laptop, home PC, Dad's PC at his house, and it's probably still on the ex Pa-in-law's PC.

When you update the computer you have to take a non-default setting somewhere, but damn if I recall exactly what they called it. By default the map update only does the device, not the computer, which is kinda stupid. To do the computer you have to select a mode where you can tell it computer, device, or both.

This is from memory from many months ago, so take it for what it's worth.

The software is not copy-protected, it will go on as many computers as you want to put it on. The unlock codes just attach it to your specific device. You can't put routes from your Mapsource on somebody else's GPS, only yours.
Figured it out. On one of the beginning screens you installation options.. sigh. still downloading via slow connection.

Don,

Just to make sure that you are aware, your Google route has you crossing Lake Champlain from Port Kent, NY to Burlington VT. That is a one hour ferry ride. That ferry only runs that way 4 times a day on Mon - Weds and 7 times a day Thurs - Sun. Cost is $6.75, one way with a motorcycle. Link here for schedule

IMO, the I-90 ride across northern Ohio and NY State is brutally boring. What about shooting up through Canada and taking the 401 across the top of the Great Lakes instead?

Like this one: Google Map Link Haven't been up there in ~30 years. Any of you Ontario Canuckians have an opinion on that? Is there a secret to getting around Toronto?

Drop down across the St Laurence in Prescott to Ogdensburg and cross the northern 'Dacks to VT. You'd still want to take a $6 ferry from Plattsburg to Grand Isle but that one is 12 minutes long and runs 24 hours a day and much more frequently. Schedule here.

Can't help you much out west. Stay hydrated, I guess. :p

Good Idea Fred.. Plus I would think he'd cut a few miles and time off the route.

I'm sure the Canadian contingent will be along shortly.

Almost any way that you can cut across Ohio is gonna suck...unless you take a southern route. If you do go the northern route, definitely plan on taking 86/17 from Erie Pa. to Binghamton NY. and up 88 to Albany NY...much nicer ride than taking 90 across NY.

Don,

Just to make sure that you are aware, your Google route has you crossing Lake Champlain from Port Kent, NY to Burlington VT. That is a one hour ferry ride. That ferry only runs that way 4 times a day on Mon - Weds and 7 times a day Thurs - Sun. Cost is $6.75, one way with a motorcycle. Link here for schedule

IMO, the I-90 ride across northern Ohio and NY State is brutally boring. What about shooting up through Canada and taking the 401 across the top of the Great Lakes instead?

Like this one: Google Map Link Haven't been up there in ~30 years. Any of you Ontario Canuckians have an opinion on that? Is there a secret to getting around Toronto?

Drop down across the St Laurence in Prescott to Ogdensburg and cross the northern 'Dacks to VT. You'd still want to take a $6 ferry from Plattsburg to Grand Isle but that one is 12 minutes long and runs 24 hours a day and much more frequently. Schedule here.

Not bad, Fred, really. Boring stretch Windsor to London. To cross Toronto on the 401 is OK if you can hit it between 9 and 2. Otherwise, you'll be in rush hour stuff. The only way to avoid it is to take the expensive 407 toll road (they take your picture and send you the bill, but likely no agreement with CA). The 401 is a smooth road on either side of Toronto, not a bad slab east of here. I'll be on it tomorrow on my way to Montreal.....

My usual (slower) route out that way is to pick some back roads through NY through Adirondack park to Ticonderoga/Chimney Point bridge, which takes me a good 8-9 hours with stops (I'm an hour from Niagara Falls). Maybe 10 to Stowe. This year however, I'm doing an overnighter with a buddy in MA, so even longer.

My usual (slower) route out that way is to pick some back roads through NY through Adirondack park to Ticonderoga/Chimney Point bridge, which takes me a good 8-9 hours with stops (I'm an hour from Niagara Falls). Maybe 10 to Stowe. This year however, I'm doing an overnighter with a buddy in MA, so even longer.
FYI that the Crown Point to Chimney Point bridge isn't there right now.

It was condemned and destroyed, and they are in the middle of rebuilding a new one.

In the meantime the states are running a free ferry service across. It departs every 1/2 hour 24 hours a day. Linky

That is always an option, in fact it is in all of the Adirondacks ride routes.

Don,

Great idea Fred, thanks. The real prob is I'm clueless as to what roads are worth riding and which ones are b o r i n g.

Almost any way that you can cut across Ohio is gonna suck...unless you take a southern route. If you do go the northern route, definitely plan on taking 86/17 from Erie Pa. to Binghamton NY. and up 88 to Albany NY...much nicer ride than taking 90 across NY.
I worked for several months in Oswego and liked the area. Based on Fred's idea tho, I'll probably be north - but tx for the tip ETJ.

...I want to run as many secondary roads as possible and -- I have 5 days
Therein lies the rub... :huh:

Am I better off just riding secondary roads...?
Absolutely...!

Don't ride any Interstates (well, maybe I-70 in UT and CO) and don't ride in (or, too near) any large metropolitan areas.

I have 5 days
Yeah, the reality of it all starts to set in. I have minimum 6 520 miles per day. Actually closer to 600 now that I think about it.. :huh:

[encouragement]

Yeah, that sounds like a lot of mileage (and it is) 'specially for CBAs like us, Donnie.

But 600 miles isn't that much on the slab. It's only 7 hours of riding at 85 mph (plus any stop time).

It's not my preferred mode either, but ripping off 600 highway miles a day is more a challenge of staying awake IMO than being physically exhausted (unless it's real hot out). Stay North and stay fresh (if you can).

[/encouragement]

You'll clearly be the rider coming from the furthest away to NERDS. You will be the object of all of our NERDLY affection. (not sure if that's good or bad)

You'll have the keys to the city village, my friend. :thumbsup: The VT women will swarm you!

It also sort of validates our little NERDS experiment. If you wimp out on us now, well hell man, I'm gonna have to come down there and seek revenge. I'll uproot your garden or mess wid your animals or sumpin. (scary ain't it?) :p

[encouragement]

Yeah, that sounds like a lot of mileage (and it is) 'specially for CBAs like us, Donnie.

But 600 miles isn't that much on the slab. It's only 7 hours of riding at 85 mph (plus any stop time).

It's not my preferred mode either, but ripping off 600 highway miles a day is more a challenge of staying awake IMO than being physically exhausted (unless it's real hot out). Stay North and stay fresh (if you can).

[/encouragement]

You'll clearly be the rider coming from the furthest away to NERDS. You will be the object of all of our NERDLY affection. (not sure if that's good or bad)

You'll have the keys to the city village, my friend. :thumbsup: The VT women will swarm you!

It also sort of validates our little NERDS experiment. If you wimp out on us now, well hell man, I'm gonna have to come down there and seek revenge. I'll uproot your garden or mess wid your animals or sumpin. (scary ain't it?) :p
I ain't wimping out.. I *like* my critters! :rofl:

Been fine-tuning the trip and looking at options like running at night.. I can still see half-way decent in dark and the cooler weather would be a relief.

A couple of small 'side-trips' look possible that offer some elevation and according to AAA maps are 'scenic'..

(have you seen Nebraska and Iowa? My gawd, them poor phookers... not a crooked road to be found?)

(..and yes, that's a challenge you Iowa and NE fookers, show me some crooked roads!)

Bought a cooler vest and neck thingie today at CycleGear (on sale!) and it looks like KrZy8 will be ready for the ride..

Regarding wild animals? I'd really appreciate it if you'd keep the WILD HOGS from killing my lawn and garden.. and I'm not speaking to two-legged Harley wanna be riders from a previous moovie, either.. ;)

Now to see if my Passport is good and all that rot..

I'm sure hoping you boyz have good whiskey up there!

...and many, many Thanks to Moosehead for his very nice offer of lodging..

greatly appreciated!

Thunderstorms are not unusual in August. You can either wear something waterproof, pull over someplace dry and wait it out, or go on and just get wet.

I've tried option 3 many times. Even at 90 degrees, when you get wet you'll be hypothermic in no time if you continue to ride.

Yeah, you'll prolly want to bring something along. This ain't no Southern California, and the girls don't warn you here either.