Critters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony C.

Reaction score
Hi all

No garage so I have to park it in the great outdoors. I have a problem with the mice. I live in Westchester New York, and for now I have to park the 08 outside. I noticed that the mice have made a nest in the back under the rear seat. Also they chewed some of the insulation. How can I keep them out, until I get the black beauty indoors, any suggestions?

Not being a cat person I would say one of these would be your best bet.

Scottish Terrier

sm_artwork.jpg

The Scottish Terrier should be alert and spirited but also stable and steady-going. He is a determined and thoughtful dog whose "heads up, tails up" attitude in the ring should convey both fire and control. The Scottish Terrier, while loving and gentle with people, can be aggressive with other dogs. He should exude ruggedness and power, living up to his nickname, the "Diehard."

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all
No garage so I have to park it in the great outdoors. I have a problem with the mice. I live in Westchester New York, and for now I have to park the 08 outside. I noticed that the mice have made a nest in the back under the rear seat. Also they chewed some of the insulation. How can I keep them out, until I get the black beauty indoors, any suggestions?

This may sound kind of stupid, but I have heard it works. Try getting a small plastic owl and setting it on the bike. It might work and it should be fairly cheap.

Rick

Hi all

This may sound kind of stupid, but I have heard it works. Try getting a small plastic owl and setting it on the bike. It might work and it should be fairly cheap.

Rick
Yes for pigeons, not sure about rodents, but thanks.

Hey Tony,

I believe Ponyfools son has a recently aquired BB gun....you did buy the touchup paint right? :rolleyes:

Seriously, why not try some sticky traps around the wheels...just an idea...good luck.

Bobby

I don't recommend a cat.... well, at least I'm having a similar problem with cats, feral cats. damn things piss everywhere. Only got the wheel of the feejer due to cover, but they get my scooter a lot which sucks.

I live in the boondocks and have this same problem with my cars. Mice love to chew stuff up including wiring and air filters. The best way to get rid of them it to put out bait. They eat it and it works like a blood thinner. The more they eat the worse off they are until the blood is so thin it doesn't work anymore. Get the bait houses and keep them well stocked. They run around the bottom of the walls mostly so put the entrances to the bait stations next to the wall so they can run right in. Keep the stations stocked and your problem will go away.

A cat is the best idea but remember not to feed it to much or it will not hunt. If you can't get a cat the put out the poison.

:skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:

Old fashioned snap traps and peanut butter. Mice love peanut butter and they can't steal it, they have to lick it right there and then........ex-mouse.

glue boards around the tires /stand. We used to bait them with peanut butter at the grocery store. Snap traps are more fun though.

Moth balls?
Balls, not moth testicles. Just so you know...don't go injuring any moths.
You know what you have when you have one moth ball in your left hand and one moth ball in your right hand? A big-ass moth.

Ok so the problem he is having stems from parking outside. Spring traps and Glue traps only work if you were to surround the entire bike with them. I believe he may live in a Apt is why he doesn't have a garage. If this is the case someone will end up kicking or moving the glue traps and as funny as it would be you know sure as God made little Apples the neighbor kid would get stuck in a spring trap and get you sued. So the Cat is the best option, but how to keep the cat from wondering off or worse getting kid napped but that little snot gobbler from next door. Chain it to the Bike. Maybe put the little Rat Dog on the other side to keep the little Life Ruiner's away from your Cat. You could also move cause I am not sure if Full Coverage Ins would cover a mouse eating the wires and making the ECM burn out. Just my thoughts.

Put Bounce dryer sheet in where the mice are getting to. It works on our popup camper that is outdoors. That said, once those little buggers get in some place they keep getting in. BAIT works as well. Hardware stores are your friend!

Tom

Cayenne Pepper will also deter them.
Heya Chris, gettin' much riding in?

Ya, pepper works well. We had a problem with mice and squirrels at our camp (cottage) and bought a gallon jug of the stuff from crappy tire. Worked great.

check out california car covers on the net,the have a enclosed bike cover.youll kill 2 birds with 1 stone.covered from the weather and varmit barrier.

I had this problem with a new car I bought, mice eating the wiring cost me $700 in repairs (not covered under warranty as it not considered defective).

Bait/traps weren't as option as I have pets (dogs).

What did work was pee, my pee.

Someone told me that cats are the best deterent and it's the cat pee that wards off the rodents. Well as cat pee isn't readily available at the local store, I read that any carnivore's pee works to an extent. So I pissed all over the engine of my new car.

No more problems. Just a really bad urine smell the first time I turned on the vents!!!