Cruise Servo Unit Hit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRJeff

Reaction score
Was doing a walkaround this morning and noticed a gouge in my servo unit. It's mounted under my right side bag. Anybody with one mounted by the bag (left or right) have any guesses as to what may have happened? It LOOKS like an abraision from the tire, but notice that it's nowhere near the edge of the tire, and the part that is closer to the tire is unmarked...

(hopefully this link works, I'm new to Flickr)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27482276@N00/173620137/

It didn't go through the case, so I'm not losing sleep over it, but I'll need to reposition it to avoid a potential problem, I think...

Jeff

Stick it under the seat plenty of room there
Cheers

That's where I had it initially, but moved it so I could place my fuse block under the seat for easy access. Several people have place their servos in a similar spot (albeit on the left side) with no problems. I've done maybe 1500 miles with mine where it is. I'm mulling over drilling extra holes in the brace to drop it down a bit and give it some more room, but haven't looked too closely at whether or not this is doable.

Jeff

It doesn't appear that your servo dinger could have happened from tire contact. Must be road debris that your tire picked up. If I am seeing your picture correctly the servo cable is pointing towards the front of the bike and your servo got whacked in the butt by something going forward. The only way this could happen is to have your tire sling ¿something? forward. So far, after 24k miles, my servo on the left swing arm is unharmed by both tire and debris. [luck]

Last edited by a moderator:
I placed my fuse block under the rear seat by drilling holes in the rear fender and using bolts, rubber washers and silicone. Seems to work well; doesn't leak. My block is one of the smaller ones-I bought it from Aerostitch. Ian, Iowa

It doesn't appear that your servo dinger could have happened from tire contact. Must be road debris that your tire picked up. If I am seeing your picture correctly the servo cable is pointing towards the front of the bike and your servo got whacked in the butt by something going forward. The only way this could happen is to have your tire sling ¿something? forward. So far, after 24k miles, my servo on the left swing arm is unharmed by both tire and debris. [luck]

It's entirely possible, but I'm fairly certain I've avoided debris since I put it on. When I took a look at the servo, it looks like abraision, not an impact, but I don't know how the tire could have hit only that part.

I took a good look at that part of the bike, and the left side (over the shaft) looks to have about .5" more clearance than the right. .5" would have avoided the ding, so I sucked it up and moved the servo over to the shaft side instead of the brake side.

And the light comes on. :D

Bet it was the disc from the brake.

We'll see how it does now on the side it should have been on to begin with....

Appreciate the input...