Custom command center Farkle control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Kaye

Reaction score
First off let me start by saying Thanks to the Many extremely helpful posts that have helped me begin my Farkling adventure! I thought I would do my best to give back to the forum via my own Farkling vision. (Not for everyone!) I am an absolute certified electronics toy nut. If there is a gadget to tell me when to sneeze, I want it. To start my accessory journey I compiled many, many pages of forum recommendations, referrals, installation tips, and revues. With the extreme amount of info available on this forum (amazing how well the Search button works) <_< I started my farkle collection. The only issue I had before starting is How do I install all of these wonderful toys so they are convenient, out of the elements, away from curious eyes, :ph34r: wireless, easy to control, simple to transfer to a second vehicle, Minimal permanent modification to the bike, and finally safe to leave unattended. Hmmmm, tall order. That's when I came up with the "Command Center" approach. Everything controlled from a central location within visual and arms length. In the following photos I will do the best I can to explain how my vision works. I will also include a photo gallery link with MANY additional photos to fill in the blanks. :rolleyes:

To start the project I need access to a OMAX Precision Abrasive Waterjet system to fabricate my vision! Lucky me, that's what I sell! Time to do a FJR Demo.... All components machined from 1" 6061 Aluminum. Add some custom accent pieces and its time to hit the paint rack.

1-1.jpg

Let the farkling begin. Start with a 40 year old work bench. (My other sad hobby!) All parts layed out to neatly to begin the complete transformation.

2.jpg

The "Command Center" top view after FJR paint applied. Through cut lettering for that one of a kind look!

3.jpg

Command Center all wired up with integrated Valentine One heads up display and LED switches.

4.jpg

Dry fit of Command Center for clearance checks. All good! 100 feet of wiring left!!

5.jpg

Front driver view. I decided to use industrial strength Velcro for the mount which proved to be More than strong enough. If I ever decide to remove the unit it would be painless to return it back to stock. Thou I plan to die with this bike!

6.jpg

Next up is my need for Speed. (When the wife is not on board!) I wanted a moderately stealth Valentine One setup that I could easily transfer to my car with minimal effort. In order to accomplish my objective I needed a water proof enclosure. Unfortunately the standard one available is a bit to deep for my clearance location. Time to cut into that problem! Half inch off the bottom and I'm back in business.

7.jpg

Valentine One stealth mounted under the nose of the bike. I understand I will loose rear Laser protection but I figured my front door was more important when driving a few miles over the limit. :unsure:

8.jpg

All these wonderful toys need Juice!! I decided to keep my power station towards the rear of the bike as this is where most of my toys will go. Not sure if this will be a long term decision but I elected to mount the unit with Velcro which was amazingly strong. May fabricate a bracket later.

9.jpg

Under seat view of all wires, harness and tool kits.

10.jpg

I got Gadgets in my trunk! Sounds like a wrap video. :dribble: This is where I installed my Sirius Radio (for my Howard Stern fix in the morning), an iPod touch with 20K songs as a backup, and a charging station for charging up the helmet intercoms when we are parked. Note, I can still store Both helmets with this setup. The Satellite radio is programmed with the 10 stations we listen to with a small remote located in the front box.

11.jpg

Satellite antenna mounted and wiring harness out of trunk is sealed with a quick disconnect plug should I decide to take my toys and go home!

12.jpg

Here is the completed front Command Center under power. From left/right, the first switch enables the Mixit2 audio control, #2 is the heated grip troller control, #3 is the iPod/iPhone control, #4 is the Valentine One heads up with mute, #5 is the Satellite Radio control, #6 is Valentine One all systems Off switch (for riding with the wife), #7 is a direct wired momentary switch to open and close my garage door. (Photo's of this setup are in the Gallery)

13.jpg

All these electronics need Sound! I setup the Mixit2 and Valentine One audio controllers in the side box to keep them out of the elements but still accessible. For the most part I set them to mid level and fine tune the volume with our Scala Q2 headsets. The only item not shown in the figure is a Bluetooth stereo out adaptor. This allows us to have wireless audio feed from the Mixit2 and all of it's mating audio signals including GPS directly to the headsets without the use of wires.

14.jpg

My clean finished attempt at a full fledged farkle machine. Driver view.

15.jpg

Here is the front view of the Finally finished front Command Center! Plenty of clearance with the V-Stream in any position.

16.jpg

If anyone is interested in Many more detailed photos of my journey here is a direct link to an FJR library I setup for the viewers.

Click for more FJR photos!!

Many thanks again to all for this extremely informative site to help me along my way. Hopefully I didn't bore anyone with my long winded detailed journey. If you have any questions I will do my best to respond as I am always lurking in the back room of the forum reading. :dribble: Time to hit put down the soldering iron and hit the road!! Thanks again.

Dave K (WheatonDave??)

That is the cleanest homemade install I've ever seen. I'm really curious about your wiring routes, any alternator noise or other issues etc. Will look at the rest of the pix now to see if they are there -

Anyway you look at it, this is one fine detailed ride and you should be very proud.

:clapping:

Thanks for the kind words. I think I included images of my wiring routes but not certain. Again, using the forum as guidance I tried to run my harness as others have noted with success. I did a add double wall heat shrink tubing to the entire harness and doubled that with a secondary wire trough as a precaution.

One thing I failed to request in my post. PLEASE don't give me a hard time about how clean the bike is!! Along with my electronics addiction I am also anal about details and DIRT! My wife hates me for it but I love this bike and hate to see her dirty. Hopefully this year I will find the time to hook up with Mr WheatonFJR and make it dirty with some road time.

Dave K

Supreme install. I guess it comes in handy that you sell metal fab equipment. I sell semiconductors for electronic gadgets and that also comes in handy.

Can you describe the function of the buttons in your homemade console?

Thanks for the kind words. I think I included images of my wiring routes but not certain. Again, using the forum as guidance I tried to run my harness as others have noted with success. I did a add double wall heat shrink tubing to the entire harness and doubled that with a secondary wire trough as a precaution.
One thing I failed to request in my post. PLEASE don't give me a hard time about how clean the bike is!! Along with my electronics addiction I am also anal about details and DIRT! My wife hates me for it but I love this bike and hate to see her dirty. Hopefully this year I will find the time to hook up with Mr WheatonFJR and make it dirty with some road time.

Dave K
I can accept you are gay and a clean freak.. but friends with Wheatie? Well there went the neighborhood! LOL. :rolleyes:

Hopefully I didn't bore anyone with my long winded detailed journey...
:dribble: I think not, Sir! BRAVO, i say. :clapping:

Mike (Lake Powell), you have met your match. Here are a bunch of us checking out Mike's superb farkelization at NAFO.

DSCN2817.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh dude I might have send you some loot and make a trip to your place and pay you set-up something similar on my bike as the is the smoothest set-up I have seen to date.

Pretty cool, except (and this is just me being mean) it's too bad the letters ended up upside down from the viewpoint of someone walking up to the bike to check it out. :rolleyes:

Very good observation, I actually thought about that but decided (as I have read so many times before in the forum) the lettering and farkling is there for me to enjoy and elected to keep it facing me. However, I did take an extra few minutes while cutting the parts to make a second cover with the lettering reversed. :rolleyes: Just in case I change my mind. :good:

Pretty cool, except (and this is just me being mean) it's too bad the letters ended up upside down from the viewpoint of someone walking up to the bike to check it out. :rolleyes:

Not to be a killjoy or anything, but is there enough clearance left between your fender and the V1? Looks mighty tight in the pic #8.

Oh, and congrats for finding a use for an AMC Gremlin besides landfill. :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
I sliced the box down to be certain I had a safe clearance. Also, the bottom side of the front mask is slightly bowed down stock so I also made an Aluminum backer plate for the inside of the nose to pull it up an additional 1/2" and keep it rigid. Bouncing the bike up and down with my wife (Not the pleasurable kind) :devil: there was a safe clearance. I also took it to the street and did some power front brake stops to be certain. Keep in mind I am in the light weight class under 190 so others results may vary. :dribble: Be nice about that pretty Gremlin! She's 40 this year and looking like new!! Funny thing is when I take that Gremlin to the car shows I have a line of people around it the entire show. I get some pretty nasty looks from the fellas sitting alone with the $100K race machines that never get a second look. Odd is In!! And AMC's are ODD!

Dave K

Not to be a killjoy or anything, but is there enough clearance left between your fender and the V1? Looks mighty tight in the pic #8.
Oh, and congrats for finding a use for an AMC Gremlin besides landfill. :rofl:

I actually thought about that but decided (as I have read so many times before in the forum) the lettering and farkling is there for me to enjoy and elected to keep it facing me. However, I did take an extra few minutes while cutting the parts to make a second cover with the lettering reversed.

...it's too bad the letters ended up upside down from the viewpoint of someone walking up to the bike to check it out.
If you put the alternate cover on, you could enjoy the reflection of your handiwork in the windshield, and others could enjoy your handiwork from their perspective, ogling it in the parking lot. There ya go -- BoBW.

Very nice job, Dave. It looks a lot like mine. Except for the metalwork, the electronics, the shinyness, and just a couple other things. Hell, if we traded bikes, I wouldn't even be able to figure out how to turn all the dang components on. Impressive.

Next time, maybe you should print them facing forward in mirror writing, like those AMBULANCES do. :lol: