Custom Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teecb

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could get a quality custom seat fabricated in the New England area?

...ouch :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know where I could get a quality custom seat fabricated in the New England area? ...ouch :dribble:
Same here - after 9K+ miles, I love my new FJR but that seat is causing pain where there was none before and is really starting to ruin my riding enjoyment. :(

I have a Russel, if in the area you could check mine out and see if you like it, I work in the Middletown area.

Bob

I have a Russel, if in the area you could check mine out and see if you like it, I work in the Middletown area.
Bob
I have a Bill Mayer and I'll extend the same offer. I live in Newington.

Bill

Edited to add:

There's no way that I could've done 9000 miles on the stock brick.

Does anyone know where I could get a quality custom seat fabricated in the New England area? ...ouch :dribble:

I have a Russell I live in East Hartford and did 3600 miles in 2 weeks the longest was from Washington DC to Atlanta in 1 day. Let me know and we can hook up.

OK...looks like there's a bunch of folks in the CT area who have custom/non-stock seats. Who wants to get together some weekend to "swap seats/stories"?

I'd really like to do this for two reasons - I love meeting up with other riders and I didn't go riding today. :(

Beautiful sunny Sunday, chores done, email checked, Honey-Do List done, wife encouraging me to get out of her hair....And I didn't get on the bike for the first time in the past 5 months when I had the opportunity.

And all because of that damn seat. I had gone out riding Saturday for about 300 miles and the seat caused so much pain, I just couldn't see going out again today.

So I *really* need to get rid of the stock seat but don't have the money o test out every Sargent, Mayer, Corbin, Mustang, et al, seat out there.

So if some of you guys in Eastern NY, Southern MA and all over CT want to get together to check out each others bikes, I'm happy to ride almost anywhere. What would be a good central CT location?

OK...looks like there's a bunch of folks in the CT area who have custom/non-stock seats. Who wants to get together some weekend to "swap seats/stories"?
I'd really like to do this for two reasons - I love meeting up with other riders and I didn't go riding today. :(

Beautiful sunny Sunday, chores done, email checked, Honey-Do List done, wife encouraging me to get out of her hair....And I didn't get on the bike for the first time in the past 5 months when I had the opportunity.

And all because of that damn seat. I had gone out riding Saturday for about 300 miles and the seat caused so much pain, I just couldn't see going out again today.

So I *really* need to get rid of the stock seat but don't have the money o test out every Sargent, Mayer, Corbin, Mustang, et al, seat out there.

So if some of you guys in Eastern NY, Southern MA and all over CT want to get together to check out each others bikes, I'm happy to ride almost anywhere. What would be a good central CT location?
Lots of locations in central CT, none of 'em very good. All the good roads are north and west of you.

I'd be interested... in meeting up and checking out some seats and to see if they would be a good fit for me. Being a female @ 5'5" makes it difficult to find the right seat, that's why I'm entertaining a custom.

I'd be interested... in meeting up and checking out some seats and to see if they would be a good fit for me. Being a female @ 5'5" makes it difficult to find the right seat, that's why I'm entertaining a custom.
Teecb, please post what you find out. I had to look twice at the name my wife is the same size and looking for a seat. I did call Russell today and asked about an allday but they said it would raise the seat about an inch. If you are like her that is not the direction she wants to go. They do have a sport model but it sound more generic than custom. I also called Sargent and they informed me there seat is the same height but a bit wider at the back. Good luck and please post what you find out.

My Bill Mayer saddle is actually lower and a bit narrower than stock. I'm only a couple inches taller than Teecb and with my seat in the high position I'm still able to get both feet on the ground when stopped, not flat-footed, but still....

OK..that's one vote for a "Seat Meet Up". Looks like Meriden is about halfway between you and I, teecb. :)

Or we could just meet up at the Texas Roadhouse in Manchester. *Love* their ribs!

Good idea to organize a meet to compare seats. If I lived closer, I'd be happy to meet to let you try my Russell Day-Long.

Although some guys swear by the Russell personal customization of a ride-in appointment, don't be afraid to do the mail-in method. I participated in the group buy but, like many others, was unable to travel to California for a ride-in appointment. After taking a few photos of me and the wife on the bike and faxing the order form, the seat was built and sent to me in just a couple of weeks .... and we love it! We've put a few thousand miles on the seat (including one trip of 2,000+ miles straight) and we don't know how we lived without the custom seat before.

I have had great result with Bill Mayer Saddles. I ride in because I live in SoCal but they always have lots of pictures on the board for people that mail in their saddles. They do good work and are always a pleasure to deal with.

Have you looked at or tried the Yamaha accessory seat ( Comfort Seat ), Its on the Yamaha web site, listed under accessories for the FJR 1300 2007 or 2008 but also fits the 2006. MSRP is 375.00 but I found one on Ebay for 339.00. :rolleyes:

I would be into doing a meet and greet. I am in Northern Westchester county, NY. I do all my riding in CT anyway ( NY roads bite the big one, LOL). I have stock seat and gettin really tired of it.

I do all my riding in CT anyway ( NY roads bite the big one, LOL).
Yer kiddin me, right?
LOL I just rolled over 10k miles on my new FJR - all of those miles in CT and NY - and, for the most part, the roads are the same with a *slight* edge to NY.

I would be into doing a meet and greet.
OK...that's three...two more people join up, it's a Class Action Laws....wait, that ain't right...