Cycle World Comparo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Bill

Reaction score
Just read the Cycle World comparo of the BMW 1600, the new Triumph Sport Tourer, and the FJR. They really slammed the FJR in my opinion and wrote that it was not in the same class. Big negative points were steering, suspension and wind protection. Well maybe they are not to far off the mark for a stock bike comparison. But they failed to emphasize the huge price differential. Minor, not so expensive mods, would at least fix wind protection and suspension. Lots of money left over for any other add ons before the FJR costs rise to the other 2 bikes.

However, I blame Yamaha at least for the stock windshield which I assume is similar to my 09's. I've been riding with my CaliSci midsize shield for the last two years. Very happy with it. Recently put the stock windshield on for hot weather. Took an 800 mile trip and the wind and buffeting beat the crap out of me. Rain showers proved it provides poor protection even full up. Why Yami couldn't fix this on their 3rd generation is beyond me and I think it will cost them in sales. Others like Cali Sci and Cee Baily have figured it out.

Bill

I think it's amazing that the BMW K 1600 GT is apparently now considered a "sport tourer". Pretty soon the Honda F6B will be one too!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, perhaps they don't contribute enough advertising to the magazine chains.

Agreed, pricing is key.

Also these comparisons don't factor in the price and the cost savings in maintenance. That's where the real story is.

Each bike is going to be the owner's delight. However the main thing they have in common is maintenance, they all need oil, spark plugs, fluids and brakes.

If you have to run it to the shop each time, that is a huge $$$$$$$$$$$

FJR is super easy to work on and of course this forum should get a gifting from them for the knowledge it supplies.

As far as the windshield, it's a super sport tourer first then a touring bike.....easy fix with a aftermarket shield.

The sad part is, a information novice will actually base their buying choice on those articles....

. Why Yami couldn't fix this on their 3rd generation is beyond me and I think it will cost them in sales. Bill
Because Yamaha wants you to buy the accessory Touring windshield. And I thought the FJR was a touring bike.

Long term reliability and service cost is never mentioned in these comparisons. My K1600 was anything but reliable. I don't miss it.

Pricing doesn't enter into the equation for me and i still go for the FJ. It is the most reliable motor scooter on planet earth. Low test fuel is another deal maker for me. Take a BMW and there is a 30% probability it's going to take a shit on you.

. Why Yami couldn't fix this on their 3rd generation is beyond me and I think it will cost them in sales. Bill
Because Yamaha wants you to buy the accessory Touring windshield. And I thought the FJR was a touring bike.

Long term reliability and service cost is never mentioned in these comparisons. My K1600 was anything but reliable. I don't miss it.
Penny wise dollar foolish.Bill

Wonder why nobody at Cycle World seems to care about what it costs to buy and maintain the bikes they endorse. Didn't I read recently that BMW is using new electrical fasteners that cannot be separated without a special factory tool not available to owners?

Gary

darksider #44

With all the knowlegde and experience in this forum (plus the fact that so many of you love to write on and on) perhaps an overwhelming stack of "Letters to the Editor" are in line.

Both the Idaho State Police and the Boise Police Department dumped the BMW. I had conversation with a Boise PD Motor Officer and he hated the BMW in most categories, especially maintenance. They were looking forward to getting the Kawasaki Contours 14. Now they are giving serious consideration regarding the FJR, so go figure.

As far as Cycle World and many other publications go, getting an honest non bias opinion is almost an impossibility as long as they have paid advertisers to help support the magazine. When companies are paying for adds in their magazines, they don't want to piss them off.

With that said, please don't come back and tell me they pissed off Yamaha because in future editions Yamaha will once again be in favor.

I guess it's all a game.

Just read the Cycle World comparo of the BMW 1600, the new Triumph Sport Tourer, and the FJR. They really slammed the FJR in my opinion and wrote that it was not in the same class. Big negative points were steering, suspension and wind protection. Well maybe they are not to far off the mark for a stock bike comparison. But they failed to emphasize the huge price differential. Minor, not so expensive mods, would at least fix wind protection and suspension. Lots of money left over for any other add ons before the FJR costs rise to the other 2 bikes.However, I blame Yamaha at least for the stock windshield which I assume is similar to my 09's. I've been riding with my CaliSci midsize shield for the last two years. Very happy with it. Recently put the stock windshield on for hot weather. Took an 800 mile trip and the wind and buffeting beat the crap out of me. Rain showers proved it provides poor protection even full up. Why Yami couldn't fix this on their 3rd generation is beyond me and I think it will cost them in sales. Others like Cali Sci and Cee Baily have figured it out.

Bill
Hi, Bill,

After reading the article, I didn't get the same negative impression of the FJR that you did. It felt to me that they made the point that the FJR was a good value. That may be damning-with-faint-praise, but overall I thought they did a good job of evaluating all the bikes' strengths and weaknesses.

As someone who is not a 6' 200lb guy, the main deal on the FJR for me was the smaller size. Sometimes I struggle with the 675 lbs weight of the FJR, 20 lbs lighter than the Kawasaki Concours. Now ask me to deal with a bike weighing 800 lbs ? Not to mention costing $10,000 more ...

Also of note, in Cycle World's long term test of the K1600G (https://www.cycleworld.com/2013/02/19/bmw-k1600gtl-long-term-wrap-up/) they hated the screen and fitted a cee-bailey ...

"Finally, we had to do something about the 24-inch-tall stock windscreen because there were virtually no positive comments in the logbook. Problems? With screen fully lowered on its electric adjuster, the top edge cuts the rider’s natural line of sight, regardless of his height, and buffeting was also a common complaint. Raised three-quarters of max was the sweetest spot for airflow, but most testers didn’t like looking through the screen on winding roads. To remedy this, we ordered a Cee Bailey’s Aircraft Plastics 22-inch-tall replacement ($210) that features a different top-edge shape and overall contour. Results were great for rider and passenger: no line-of-sight issues when lowered and less buffeting all around, but still plenty of protection when fully raised."

I think we each interpret the articles we read in our own way. The editors seemed to feel the FJR was a great value for the money. I interpret that as some insight into maintenance costs as well as upfront costs. The temperatures and weather encountered during the test also had some influence. Had they been riding through Arizona in July, the FJR and its windshield may have received top marks.

FWIW, I have seen the Triumph in person and thought it was the most bulbous, whale shaped thing I had ever seen rolling on two wheels. But that is just my opinion.

Somewhere in the comparo they wrote something to the effect that the FJR was not in the same class as the BMW and Triumph, implying it wasn't up to the competition in the S/T world. I take exception to that.

Bill

FWIW, I have seen the Triumph in person and thought it was the most bulbous, whale shaped thing I had ever seen rolling on two wheels. But that is just my opinion.
Agree! I attended the motorcycle show in Dallas last fall for the express purpose of viewing the Triumph. They had it parked where it was the first bike you saw when you walked in the front door - I couldn't have been more dissapointed. The front fairing on this thing is kind of ridiculous!

Then I saw the 2013 FJR (parked in the back) and I was hooked!

I do like the K1600 GT and GTL though. If it wasn't for the reliability issues I'd be a player. Still can't say I won't dip my toe in the water at some point.

I also get sick of reading these comparison articles with bikes that have price tags of over 10K apart... Makes no sense to me, if you can't buy a better or at least better equipped bike for that kind of money there is a problem!

Agree! I attended the motorcycle show in Dallas last fall for the express purpose of viewing the Triumph. They had it parked where it was the first bike you saw when you walked in the front door - I couldn't have been more dissapointed. The front fairing on this thing is kind of ridiculous!

Then I saw the 2013 FJR (parked in the back) and I was hooked!

I do like the K1600 GT and GTL though. If it wasn't for the reliability issues I'd be a player. Still can't say I won't dip my toe in the water at some point.
I could have cut and pasted this exact story into a post for what happen to me. Verbatim. I bought the FJR the following weekend.

What do you expect ? It would be a very bad thing if the cheapest bike with a real history of the design going back 11 years would win , Yamaha should start to push the reliability of the FJR and its great history as a selling point .

What do you expect ? It would be a very bad thing if the cheapest bike with a real history of the design going back 11 years would win , Yamaha should start to push the reliability of the FJR and its great history as a selling point .
Seems they took your advice. Here's the intro to the FJR on Yammy's revamped Canadian website (https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4217&group=MC&catId=79):

Conquer RoadFamous for outstanding reliability and performance, the FJR1300 has a reputation that is second to none in the sport touring world. So the engineers at Yamaha were mindful of maintaining the FJR's lofty status when making revisions to the new 2013 model. Featuring the latest electronic rider aids and a fresh new exterior, this new FJR offers more comfort, performance and value than ever before.

Yamaha needs to continue to cultivate discerning customers. Their reputation is outstanding and dollar for dollar they deliver the finest ST bike on the market – no question.

BMW owns Yamaha when it comes to technology and Yamaha owns BMW when it comes to quality. If we as consumers can drive them to the middle – We Win!