• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Cycleport

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lables in my stuff all say made in China and the fit/finish/etc was all fine and equivalent to everything i've read about their gear.

I wear the Ultra II Kevlar. Great gear. I ride in shorts and t shirt under them in the summer. Wayne is really easy to deal with. He met my wife and I for our measurements at a McDonalds in Escondido. I just washed mine and they came out like new. Mine is black, but is not hot in summer. I have heard others complain a little that the lighter colored jackets fade a bit. I don't need a group buy. My gear will last me for years.
+1 this is great gear!

I've been wearing the Ultra II Kevlar for several years now and am very pleased with this gear. It is very "functional" looking but the performance is exceptional. I've had a number of people ask "aren't you hot in that?" on a hot summer day and I can honestly say, I'm quite comfortable. It breaths very well and with the liner in, on coldest days I have never been uncomfortable. It has kept me dry in some of the nastiest downpours you can imagine.

I highly recommend this gear and Wayne is excellent to work with.

Rob

Just a quick testimonial- Saturday I took off from home when it was 33 degrees and rode for two hours. Two layers of fleece under my suit kept me quite comfortable. Only my fingers and feet got a bit cold. So, for me, the Air Mesh Kevlar has proven to be versatile from freezing to whatever the San Joaquin Valley can dish out in summer.

The lables in my stuff all say made in China and the fit/finish/etc was all fine and equivalent to everything i've read about their gear.
+1

I bought the Air Mesh Kevlar jacket in late summer and it has the Made in China tags in it. I was little disappointed to see that, but the quality really is first rate. Hopefully the Group Buy happens soon enough to have the pants for the summer season.

PTP

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking at their stuff for about 3 months now. Waiting for the holidays to be over (and bills). If we can get their stuff at a discount, then count me in.

If the product is now being assembled in China, then the pricing of the Cycleport product should be updated to reflect this. The labor cost has to be at least 60% or more of any sewn product. I'd also be very interested to know where Cycleport is currently sourcing their raw materials from and how their maintaining quality control over this material.

I am not prepared to pay anything close to their current top $ advertised price, if they are being assembled by workers who make less than $5 a day.

When I buy products from China, I expect pricing to reflect this, regardless of quality and who makes it.

Cycleport is known to have spotty customer satisfaction, it is well documented, unlike Aerostich who are very customer oriented and have an excellent track record in this department. IMO that goes a long way to justifying the high price tag.

I bought my first Motoport jacet and pant set back in 1995 when I got my 1995 Magna.

11 years later the stuff is still in good condition. I bought a couple Vanson Jackets at

the Factory Outlet, but found myself still wearing my Motoport stuff more! In 2006 I

bought a Olympia AST jacket/pant set and I'm happy with them now. But lets

see 10 years from now :clapping:

Some of the previous posts mentioned they received their MotoPort gear with "Made in China" labels. That kinda' caused some concern, as mine did not and I wanted to know if MotoPorts' standards had been compromised or the quality of their gear lessened, as I had been recommending their gear.

So.....I called Wayne at MotoPort to see what's up. He assured me that the quality of their gear is unchanged and that they had some of their "standard sized" gear assembled in china, to their specifications and all custom tailored suits are still manufactured here in Kalifornia.

Someone wanted an experienced, comparison with Aerostich gear. Follow the attached link to read one of the most comprehensive comparisons I've seen. The site is: www.advrider.com When you get to the site, click on the picture to enter the advrider/forum, go to the yellow "search" window and type in "motoport kevlar first impressions", or use the following link:

CLICKY

If you have any concerns with the service you get from MotoPort, this shoud put you at ease and there's some decent pictures of their Ultra II gear.

The comparison is made by a "scientist" who wore an Aerostich, one piece, for over 10 years.

No, I don't have stock in MotoPort, but when I've found something I really think is superior, I want to pass it on to my fellow riders.

By the way, I wore leather for many years and still have some in the closet and except for a quick ride to the local store, my Kevlar is now always first choice. :eek:k:

Rob

Hmm, then that explains why mine has the China lables in them. Mine were standard sizes with slight alterations to the jacket.

Well, I bit the big one and ordered a one-piece custom Air Mesh Kevlar suit a couple weeks ago. We finally settled on measurements, colors etc. last week, and Wayne says my suit goes into production this week. So I should be able to give you a decent review on the workmanship in about three weeks.

I have a Marine riding buddy who makes flight suits etc. for the flight crews. I plan on having him go over the suit with his trained eye to asses the quality of workmanship etc. I'll post the comments.