D & D Risers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazos parker

What??
Reaction score
I've been riding my '05 for abt 2 1/2 months now w/ no particular comfort issues regarding the riding position (6'3" w/ 34" inseam) but I have the D&D risers in my farkle box. I'm thinking of installing these to compare riding positions w/ and w/out. When I do the install, do I use blue locktite on the bottom 1/3 of the bolts?

Thanks, Guys.

BP - I used loctite (blue) on all of the bolts (6 ea side) yeah, bottom half. Heck, I should probably buy stock in the company. If you make a mistake and need to remove the bolt it's no problem. It's just meant to help keep the bolt from vibrating loose. Just don't use the red loctite unless you want the bolt to be permanent! I just installed the D&Ds last Thu and am happy with them.

Funny, I have some loctite which I got from my employer when I used to fix office machines for a living. It is the type which is intended to allow you to remove things after you use it, like the blue stuff you are talking about, but the stuff I have is red and comes in a small red plastic bottle. Mine is probably 15 years old and I use it a lot. Guess I'd better read the package if I need to buy some in the future.

Geezer - I don't like to post stuff that's wrong, so I went to a couple of sites on the internet (and you know everything you see on the net is true!) and here's what I found:

Loctite 242 Nut and Bolt Locker (part #3370) is blue in color and is a medium strength locking compound. This allows fasteners to be disassembled with hand tools yet prevents loosening under normal circumstances`........ Loctite 271 Stud Lock (part #3371) is red in color and is a very high strength compound that `is great for problem fasteners that don`t seem to want to stay tight`. `Removal may be difficult and may require heating the fastener`.......

Loctite 290 Penetrating Thread Locker (part #3372) is green in color and is a very high strength, low viscosity, compound. It `can be used to lock previously assembled fasteners such as when locking down an adjustment` (their exact words).......
On another site is gave the "break" in lbs as (break/prevailing) 60/35 for Blue and 160/225 for Red.

I know, this is more than any of us need to know, but I want to make sure I'm not spreading BS - unless I mean to do it intentionally!

Well, heres one more for ya's. I use nothing on my bolts, also D&D's. Have removed them numerous times for work etc, they have never come loose without it. Not a must in my book if torqued properly. Also be aware loctite still in liquid form (new application) will lubricate somewhat, adjust torque values appropriately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - I think you probably can't go wrong with the right torque sans anything else. Sometimes I like a belt and suspenders! :thumbup:

Why D&D over motorcyclelarry's risers? I notice larry does 6 degrees now as D&D enterprises says theres are 15 degrees?

I would love to know if anyone has tried the moptorcyclelarry risers, I need a set but can't seem to decide which would be better( MotorcycleLarry or D & D). Any help on the subject would make for one happy FJR owner. By the way love the site, I could sit and read stuff all day and night, might just about forget to go for a ride. :D

Thanks in advance for any help or discussion on this subject.

I presently have the GenMar risers and while they raise them don't do anything for the hand positioning or moving the bars back toward you. I have just purchased the D&D after looking at the motorcycle larry ones as the amount of moving the bars back seems more with the D&D's.

So the d and d s move the bar back more what about any change in the angle of said bar ? Does the d & d move out any angle or is it just bringing the bar back to the rider . :agent:

I have the D&D risers and can't recommend them highly enough!!! They are exceptional!!

AssembledSteering.jpg

SeamlessRisers.jpg

I bought D&D's back when they were still a buck and a half. They were my first farkle, and as such, hold a spot near to my heart. :thumbup: Well, not that near. Anyway, they made the bike rideable for me-getting old has some drawbacks. Smacky, they move them up and back but do not change any angles. Some prefer Larrys for that reason, some don't. With the angle change, however, comes some reduction in rearward positioning, there is, after all, only so much length to be had for cables and hoses. I have never regretted getting the D&D's, even at the then premium price. ;)

Warchild,Radman ,

You guys are my heros. I thank you for the input and as soon as I can find the address again I think I'll order the D & D's. I'm new to this type of stuff and thank all of you fine people for any help you give now and in the future.

If you have that address it would be super.

Also I am thinking of seats but need to address the risers first then tackle the windshield which was giving me fits until I got a new helment that really fits, now things are better even with the stock shield, but to change things comes good things , so windshield new is in the near future. And that seat is again rising its head to change.

Will also need to address the left side heat but thats not that bad and in the winter it will be more than welcome.

Hope to see everyone on the road

Ride safe and Be safe.

I really need to get one of those cool looking thing on the left side they r way to cool.

:p

Yeah, that one that speedy ass shot up there. :p

Yeah, that one that speedy ass shot up there. :p
Well, he apparently found you and warchild helpful and not me so I had to try and do something useful. :D

Hey Radman,

I use to have an old Yamaha Maxim 550 that I often did 100+ on when I was 19-20. And for a bike that I paid $1000 for to be as smooth as it was at 100 and this $12000 bike to do what it does I think something is wrong. Maybe 100+ sounds fast to some but on 270 where I live 80+ is average travel speed and in WV the speed limit being 70, people doing 90 isn't uncommon. Getting to 100 is so quick that you really aren't going that much faster than most of the cars around me and like I had mentioned it was only for a short time. And reading future into my other post since I am already worried about loose bolts on this thing these symptoms just make me more suspicious...