Dark spot on display after sitting in the sun, only 70 deg

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel S.

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
This vid came to mind:

If bike is brand new, you'll be covered at least. This shouldn't happen in those temps at all... my '14 would routinely stay out in the sun all day while at work. Temps range from 50s to 90s.

Thanks, yeah, looks like that. Not as bad,

Yep, new, was in a box this time last week. Lol

Hopefully the photo will be enough for my dealer to order the part.

Strange stuff can happen. With the sun at certain angles, the windshield could behave as a magnifying glass and focus sunlight on a particular area. That said, this is a MOTORCYCLE and is meant to be left outdoors. The LCD should be sufficiently robust to take that. If it happened on a very hot day and it returned to normal appearance as soon as you started moving, I might let that go.

Strange stuff can happen. With the sun at certain angles, the windshield could behave as a magnifying glass and focus sunlight on a particular area. That said, this is a MOTORCYCLE and is meant to be left outdoors. The LCD should be sufficiently robust to take that. If it happened on a very hot day and it returned to normal appearance as soon as you started moving, I might let that go.
In a new 300 miles bike this is impossible to happen in the year 2016...

came 'on!

Never seen that on my '14.

I would take the bike and those pics back to dealer for warranty work..

Edit: I see you are.

Sounds like not a super common problem, so at least I know it's mine, and not normal. I'll keep an eye on it, and send the dealer the pictures.

I've had my 14ES all over the southwest and western states with no issues such as described. When parking in the intense sun I usually cover the dash with my jacket. Perhaps applying a polarized film on lens of the cluster would deflect the rays causing the problem?

Polarized film does not play nice with either LCD displays or with helmet visors. Your display is likely to appear dark, uneven or otherwise messed up. Not sure why but I think that light passing through the visor is partially polarized. Maybe it depends on the visor material but I found it impossible to wear polarized sunglasses under my helmet. Same with LCD displays - try looking at one through polarized glasses held in front of you as you rotate the lens.

Yeah, I'd not be getting excited about a temporary darkening of on LCD display exposed to direct sunlight. If it happened while riding down the road maybe. But not if it was after being parked in the direct sun

I've had my 14ES all over the southwest and western states with no issues such as described. When parking in the intense sun I usually cover the dash with my jacket. Perhaps applying a polarized film on lens of the cluster would deflect the rays causing the problem?
I throw my jacket on the windscreen or put a towel over it if it's super hot.

Interesting it happens up north. After reading about the FL experience, I try to park so the sun won't hit it directly. YES is too expensive up here, so I'd have to replace it on my dime. If it blackens too many times, it is likely not to recover.

This isn't the first time that the LCD display has had sun issues, others have had problems with the sun causing the LCD display to turn black.

On the lowly Gen I dash the sun caused the tach and speedometer decal to bubble around the screw heads that held the gauge face on. A few had the gauge face simply bubble up. Some have even had the sun focused through the windshield melt the gauge rings and gauge lenses.

It's not a pervasive problem and seems to be somewhat independent of normally hot locations down south and out west, in fact it seems to be more noticeable in areas where the sun is typically at lower angles in the sky.

Some have even had the sun focused through the windshield melt the gauge rings and gauge lenses.
I had this happen on my Ninja 1000 with a Vstream attached. So ever since, when parked in the sun, I through a light colored t-shirt over the cluster.

As others have pointed out, this is a known issue. I was the first to find it unfortunately and narrow it down to having the sun directly hitting that panel. It also happens on the other bikes that use that same part, the Super Tenere, FJ09. It has nothing to do with temp, others have reported it all over the country. It's only temporary the first couple times it happens, then it's permanent. The fix is horribly inconvenient, they take the whole dash, send it off and it was a month's wait to get a new one. The mileage does NOT transfer over to the new odometer. When my 2nd unit did it, I decided to make a cover for it if I need to park it at a direct sun angle again.

I've also never heard of it being permanent. All it is is the LCD liquid expanding and filling the spaces, creating a "black" spot. Once it cools, stuff goes back to where it's supposed to be and all is good.

My VTX did it a few times, on sunny days, and tons of other motorcycles have had it happen. I've seen wrist watches left on the hood of a car do the same thing.