Darkside or not to Darkside.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably great for Iron Butt, but not the fun factor in twisties. Different strokes..

20 or 30K on my '05 with a car tire. It ain't perfect, but it addressed the issue of eating tire when riding 2 up pulling a camper. I would not suggest the CT for everyone, but it works for the issue I needed to address.

NO, I don't want to discuss the evils of pulling trailer with a motorcycle. It is much more entertaining to pull a trailer than to pull the FJR on a trailer.

I haven't read the article but I have followed close behind a Triumph Rocket 3 fitted with a Car Tyre , just watching how that tyre behaved in the

twisty's was enough to scare me .

Wellalrightynow. I tried to swallow the whole book but my eyes wore out. I sprayed it with Bull Shit Spray which normally reduces these articles to a few words, but the tome remained. There is a great listing of 'facts' from which 'information' is distilled out. While a lot is presented I'm not sure progress was made. The whole time I was looking through the thesis that runs about the length of War and Peace, I had an image in my head that wouldn't go away............
So the blithering idiot had snorted the poison? neither glass was doctored?

Wellalrightynow. I tried to swallow the whole book but my eyes wore out. I sprayed it with Bull Shit Spray which normally reduces these articles to a few words, but the tome remained. There is a great listing of 'facts' from which 'information' is distilled out. While a lot is presented I'm not sure progress was made. The whole time I was looking through the thesis that runs about the length of War and Peace, I had an image in my head that wouldn't go away............
So the blithering idiot had snorted the poison? neither glass was doctored?
Gaaaaaaaaaaawd, what kind of world do you people live in that you've never seen 'The Princess Bride'? Goto Netflix or a rental place and watch it. You'll laugh your ass off. Andre The Giant is in it as well as some other characters. I won't even spoil that scene for you.

Gaaaaaaaaaaawd, what kind of world do you people live in that you've never seen 'The Princess Bride'? Goto Netflix or a rental place and watch it. You'll laugh your ass off. Andre The Giant is in it as well as some other characters. I won't even spoil that scene for you.
I'm waiting till it comes out on book.

Fred, your waiting ended 43 years ago..... :D

The_Princess_Bride_%28First_Edition%29.jpg

There are few times where a movie is better 'n the book, but this is one. It is also a movie that you can watch with your kids and you and your kids will mostly see two entirely different movies. There are many parts where the kids will hear the phrases but the adults will hear the hidden double meaning. Much of the movie takes place in Florin, after all, most good movies take place in a Florin Land. Go watch the movie before someone gives you a paper cut and pours lemon juice on it.

I haven't read the article but I have followed close behind a Triumph Rocket 3 fitted with a Car Tyre , just watching how that tyre behaved in thetwisty's was enough to scare me .
Pay no attention to the naysayers! I think those who come up with excuses against darksiding are just trying to justify the fact that they are scared
weirdsmiley.gif

55K...(km) on my Exalto and still going into it's third year. Granted it's not for everyone but spare me the drama of dying a flaming death.

Good call Mattster.
smile.png

I respect Steve and Ross's opinion regarding their not wanting to use a car tire as they have tried it.

For those who haven't and offer up negative commentary, their words like the fella with his fancy drawings and conclusions are just that.

Words.

I went to a local dealership to buy some gloves and a service guy told me not to bring the bike in like that, they wouldn't work on it. I acted all hurt and stuff, and then asked if he'd seen the bike there any time during the 7 years I've had it.......

Seriously, dude? You wouldn't do a valve check or something because I darksided???!?!?! That level of ignorance kinda 'splains why they've never seen my bike there!

I love it when people use "Science" to ignore or even disprove real-world experience and observation. (Without going there, think of Creationists and their "science!") I always rather thought that science WAS real-world experience and observation.......

Last edited by a moderator:
I can offer an explanation why a business would adopt that position: It's likely due to our modern litigious society's greed.

Nobody has ever certified a car tire for use on a motorcycle, the possible exception being when used on 3 wheelers or side-hacks that do not lean. Not the bike manufacturer, nor the car tire manufacturer, nobody.

Now I think we all realize that the CT is most likely not going to cause you to crash and burn to a fiery death, but suppose that something else (doesn't really matter what it is) happened with that tire on there that resulted in an accident and your death resulted. As an example, some cage left turns in front of you and you couldn't stop in time.

Your estate could then sue that shop because they had serviced the bike and did not make the bike "safe" when it left. And, being professionals, they should have known better. It doesn't matter that you wouldn't have been able to stop with a moto-tire either. Once they latched on to that non-conformity that wouldn't matter.

Or it could just be that they do not sell car tires.
wink.png

By the way... why or how is this thread any different from the gigantic Darkside thread? And why is this not already in the NEPRT subsection yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read the article but I have followed close behind a Triumph Rocket 3 fitted with a Car Tyre , just watching how that tyre behaved in thetwisty's was enough to scare me .
Pay no attention to the naysayers! I think those who come up with excuses against darksiding are just trying to justify the fact that they are scared
weirdsmiley.gif

55K...(km) on my Exalto and still going into it's third year. Granted it's not for everyone but spare me the drama of dying a flaming death.
I dunno... I'm pretty sure Peter Fonda's character (Wyatt) in Easy Rider was on a car tire.
winksmiley02.gif

Evening... this is a Great topic. I know some have reservations about safety / functionality / limitations, dont like how it rides / handles or just simply dont like the look. However, for Me its been great! I have used on a VTX1800 now for three years (20K) without incident and GREAT satisfaction!!! Going on My second season with FJR and will be taking her over to the DarkSide this coming week... YEAH!!!

Latest posts