Day-Long Russell

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
Apparently this is THE seat to have. I wanted to get one mostly for the 2-up ironbutt rides that my wife and I love to go on. Called them the other day and the soonest I could get a production date for my seat was July 3!! Wow, I know i hit the season at its worst, but 3 months!

I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that this IS the seat to purchase and worth the wait. (Anyone canceling their order and want to donate me their slot :D ) Does it even work like that???

I guess as long it is here before WFO I'm good. That's a pretty long ride for the stock seat.

Definitely worth the wait!

My first was about a 6 month wait. The next time (FJR) they'd gotten the time down considerably.

Are you a "big" guy? If so, then the Russell is probably worth the wait. If you're average sized, you might try Rick Mayer... a lot of us swear by his seats. In fact, not too long ago, Warchild (who has a Russell and a Mayer and can feel free to correct me if I'm putting words in his mouth) was leaning towards the Mayer as the better one. Everyone has their own opinions, but Mayer is definitely in the same class with the Russell, although Russell does have some advantages for larger riders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you a "big" guy?  If so, then the Russell is probably worth the wait.  If you're average sized, you might try Rick Mayer... a lot of us swear by his seats.  In fact, not too long ago, Warchild (who has a Russell and a Mayer and can feel free to correct me if I'm putting words in his mouth) was leaning towards the Mayer as the better one.  Everyone has their own opinions, but Mayer is definitely in the same class with the Russell, although Russell does have some advantages for larger riders.
That is true.

However..............

I also know of a couple riders (NOT big guys) who have gone from a Rick Mayer seat to a Russel, and were happier with the Russel.

So, unfortunately I don't think there is a Holy Grail of custom seats. Results are extremely subjective by owner, and how well whatever company did while making the seat.

YAMV - (Your Ass May Vary)

What skooter said, but I will add: Do a ride in fitting if you can. Almost every one I know that has gone with mail-in route has sent 'em back for fixes and tweaks. I did a ride in to Bill Mayer, who is the closest saddle maker to me - about 20 miles away. Took 4 hours, 3 cups of coffee, a couple of donuts and made some new friends.

Apparently this is THE seat to have.  I wanted to get one mostly for the 2-up ironbutt rides that my wife and I love to go on.  Called them the other day and the soonest I could get a production date for my seat was July 3!!  Wow, I know i hit the season at its worst, but 3 months!
I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that this IS the seat to purchase and worth the wait.  (Anyone canceling their order and want to donate me their slot  :D )  Does it even work like that???

I guess as long it is here before WFO I'm good.  That's a pretty long ride for the stock seat.
3 months is good and even when I did mine, Mayers, in the winter I still waited as long.

Only thing was I had a sargent so I wasn't out of a seat if I did want to ride.

However Mayers didn't need the seat until a few days before so I was only out the seat for 3 weeks or so.

I have ridden the stock for about a year, had a Corbin built on a ride in, a Rick Mayer built on a ride in,and a Russell also built on a ride in. Russell by far , hands down the winner in the comfort dept. I had the Rick Mayer redone and still not comfy enough so I rode into Russell. What a difference, butt comfort is subjective but for me and all the seats definitely the Russell.

QUOTE " This kind of inquiry is subjective to the person behind the shield. Variables inclued seat height, height of rider, bar risers etc. For every action there is a reaction. Change any of these and the need for the shield height changes."

WHERE DID I HEAR THIS BEFORE ? :D

Substitute shield for seat and it's the same thing. We have done many multiple days on the stocker, 10 day road trips, 800 / 900 mile days. 33,000 on the stocker and it's just starting to compress earlier, only 500 mile days. YOMV :rolleyes:

Thanks for the great replies guys.

Here is some more info about myself and my current config.

190lbs, 5'-11" I don't have much a$$ padding at all. I recently installed some MCL risers and haven't decided on weather I like them or not, it really raises the bars! :lol:

I live in Grand Isolation, NE so no great seat crafters around here.

Price isn't really a mayor concern as long as it is done right....you know what I mean?

Also, 90% of the time my wife is along, and she loves to ride, that is until about the 600+ mile mark and she gets squirmy. I start to feel the burn/numbness at about the 800+ area. We both throughly enjoy participating in IronButt rides, but taking care of the discomfort will definately add to the experience. Getting the seat right the first time for both of us would definately be nice.

1600 miles for a ride in...then WFO 2 weeks later, I'm not sure I have that vacation saved up :blink: Ohh wait, that's only back to back BBG's then 2 weeks of healing and then WFO eh?

Alex,

I put 13k miles on the stock seat last year & vowed never again ! So this winter I got the Russell folks to build me a seat, full leather. I had them add to the height ( to try & eliminate sore knees) & straighten the contour that pushed me into the tank.

When I got the seat I went out & burned up a tank and a half of gas just to see how good it felt. After a little while I forgot all about the seat & just enjoyed the ride, all 5 hours worth. When I pulled into the garage I then remembered to think about how the seat worked for my buns over those five hours. I felt like getting back on the bike & riding for a few more hours !

The trip to Reno is going to be a long ride, but not because of the seat....

(6'3", 230 lbs, 33" inseam)

IMO the perception of people being unhappy with mail-in orders through Russell is over stated. I have heard of maybe a handful of people or so who weren't happy with their Russells, since I first learned of them in the mid 90's.

Can a ride-in result in a better fit? Sure. But if you go the extra mile in your description of what doesn't work for your current saddle, send more than the minimum photos they request, and spend time talking with them, they can have the same info as if they looked at you setting on the seat in person. Do a good job of explaining your needs and they can do a better job meeting them.

+1 on Russell being worth the wait! I got my first one via mail order, no problems.

I've got a ride in appointment allready made for the new FJR, if it ever get's here :blink:

IMO the perception of people being unhappy with mail-in orders through Russell is over stated. I have heard of maybe a handful of people or so who weren't happy with their Russells, since I first learned of them in the mid 90's.
Can a ride-in result in a better fit? Sure. But if you go the extra mile in your description of what doesn't work for your current saddle, send more than the minimum photos they request, and spend time talking with them, they can have the same info as if they looked at you setting on the seat in person. Do a good job of explaining your needs and they can do a better job meeting them.
Good recommendations and thanks for the confidence booster. I'm sure they can get it right for me. My main concer is to keep me from sliding up against the pressure cooker ie. gas tank. Other than that, add in some comfy foam make it a bit wider for more support and I'll be pleased :good:

25K on 2 different FJR's....the stock seat has given me more than enough pain.

In fact, not too long ago, Warchild (who has a Russell and a Mayer and can feel free to correct me if I'm putting words in his mouth) was leaning towards the Mayer as the better one.
I have the Rick Mayer on my Blackbird, and the Russell on the FJR. Both are outstanding. I do like my Mayer a pinch more than my Day-Long, but the truth is either one would do you proper.

If you was to score a Rick Mayer seat, should it need any adjustments, it just so happens that Rick is a vendor who will be at Reno for WFO-5! He could perhaps hook you up right on the spot! :D

I just called Rick to see what his backlog was currently. No answer, so I left a message. I noticed that they are cheaper too. Same quality I imagine.

The nice thing about Rick would be the fact that I could give them a deposit then send in my origional seat later. That way I'm not out any riding time this summer!

So is it generally agreeable the vinyl is the way to go? Never fails that it rains during long distance rides. My riding pants are water proof, but I don't want the trouble of drying the leather.

One more question, I notice that there is a 10% discount option on the order form from Rick for certian Club affiliations. Does being an IBA member, or FJRForum member count? B)

I went with leather on my Mayer... for comfort, and got a free rain cover that they were offering at the time.

I shipped him my seat right before my build date... was without a saddle for a total of less than 2 weeks, including shipping time.

Just saw this on his website....

(NOTE:The OFFICE will be closed during the week of April 9-17. The Shop will remain open and we will be building and shipping saddles scheduled for that week)
So you might not hear back from them for a few days...

Actually, I just sent Rick the payment for a dual leather seat. Spoke with him on the phone for a while actually. Nice guy. Build date 6-23.

Thanks for your recommendations and comments all!