dcarvers new ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
A very nice couple on the FjrForum recently boght a new Honda cage, releasing this 1988 Honda to me for a very good price. 100k on the odo, original owner, straight bodywork, AC, power windows, 2 liter 4 banger. New tires. At the price point, a GREAT deal. The original owner was more interested in having a good new owner for the car than the price.

I'm that guy.

Drove it home, almost 180 miles, this beauty returned 43.5 mpg and ran up and down the hills on 154 from Santa Nella to 101 S in overdrive. This car is nice. And I will take care of her.

So, once home gave her a good wash and 2x wax job.
Whatcha think? Sweet? Yes!

The paint was a bit faded from years of sun. But no rust. Anywhere. The wax removed the surface layer of oxidation and she now looks GREAT!

In the background, Old Blue, a 1984 Ford F250 with 160k on the clock, OEM engine. LOL, old iron runs in my blood.

I learned a valuable lesson regarding the black molding pieces.. Don't get wax on them.. They don't come back to black after wax. Sigh.

Now, I have a winter time ride when the fog is at 30 feet visibility and/or it's been raining so hard the 3 mile long dirt road is impossible to pass with a street bike, even a DL650 Suzuki.

I can't be happier with this car than I am.
Thank You SOOO much RobN'Deb.

Deb, I WILL take care of your baby.

Promise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice coupe! Low miles for an '88, too.

Congrats.
smile.png

Don, my mom put 350k on her first accord coupe. Then traded it in on another one, same year with 60k miles, and put another 200k on. Fluids, tires, filters, and brakes, and batteries. That was it. They run forever.

A very nice couple on the FjrForum recently boght a new Honda cage, releasing this 1988 Honda to me for a very good price. 100k on the odo, original owner, straight bodywork, AC, power windows, 2 liter 4 banger. New tires. At the price point, a GREAT deal. The original owner was more interested in having a good new owner for the car than the price.
I had an '86 of this model. I really loved that car, until it stranded me on an Interview trip out of town when the ignition wires under the dash melted together. FJRs aren't the only ones with wiring weaknesses.
rolleyes.gif

Don may want to invest in a deer brush bar for the front so the wedge nose won't scoop up the deer and plant them in the windshield.

Don,

As a LONG time Honda cage owner (since 1974), a word of advice.....your "new" Accord is about 40k miles overdue for a new timing belt. About a two hour job (tops) for the first time.

Check with RogDeb if it was changed at 60k...that's the "usual" R&R benchmark, every 60k.

Good luck with your new ride...it's a good'un!!

Needs pipes, tint, a system, and dropped! ... on second thought please don't do that. Did the math and that is 4,000 miles per year! Who wasn't driving this thing?

Very nice used ride though, enjoy.

So you got a fresh ride. Did Shauna ever get her new ride? ?
Oh yeah she did. Her car payment? OUCH! Mine? Zip, zero,nada!

Nice but boring. I want more pics of Old Blue. :D
Will do!

Don,

As a LONG time Honda cage owner (since 1974), a word of advice.....your "new" Accord is about 40k miles overdue for a new timing belt. About a two hour job (tops) for the first time.

Check with RogDeb if it was changed at 60k...that's the "usual" R&R benchmark, every 60k.

Good luck with your new ride...it's a good'un!!
Timing belt was changed. Every receipt kept, organized, filed!

If you put one of those soup can exhaust tailpipes on it I will personally ride out to Kali and kick your ass.

Don, I like the truck camper with the slide out!!!

Would love to have one like that.

See you at RR2 in Sept.

JoeBob

If you put one of those soup can exhaust tailpipes on it I will personally ride out to Kali and kick your ass.
I'll bet I could use 4 of the six header pipes from his new KZ exhaust and make something really loud.
grin.gif