Deals Gap Resort for Sale!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was there last <Gossip>someone said the owner was more focused on motorcycle riding than the business </Gossip>.

And as a turned-my-fun-into-a-business owner myself, I can completely understand his feelings.

My cyber cafe will be either sold or shut down by the end of May.

How can the Tennessee Highway Patrol shut down a business owned and operated in North Carolina?
LOL :D
I'm going to clarify this point. The Deals Gap store is in NC, but barely. The associated attraction commonly known as "The Dragon", is adjacent to Deals Gap store and mostly in Tenn. That's how someone might believe that they could shut down a NC business by activity in the state of Tenn.

Whether or not Tenn. HP activity has anything to do with the store being for sale or not, I certainly cannot say. I can say that during my visits to Deals Gap/Dragon and Shady Valley in the past year, that the level of activity was definitely significantly lower than I have seen it before. This could be nothing more than the results of unfounded Internet rumors about LEO activity and general panic reactions.

In any case, my heart still goes out to BOTH the small business owners of the areas who may be suffering from the lack of activity, AND the HP officers who are just trying to do their job and the right thing every day.

I'm done here. (Unless somebody offers up the money to buy the place and open a topless Krispy Kreme donut/hamburger bar that does motorcycle tire changes.)

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thus, if the Tenn HP or County Sheriff is in fact stepping up enforcement, it is due to one of three things.

1- High % of vehicle crashes compared to other roads requiring their response or medical response

2- High complaints of speeding by locals

3- A single or small group of cops that found a cherry patch of violations.

I've been to Deal's Gap once, in the summer of 2006. When I was there, I did not see a single vehicle honor the speed limit (myself included). But, I also didn't see the likely probability of any "locals" that would be complaining about the practice either, so that pretty much limits it to #'s 1 and 3.

If it is in fact #1, then you're pretty much shit out of luck. It's their job to reduce accident rates. However, from what I've also seen and heard, most accidents are taken care of without response. But, if medical is getting called out there frequently, then you're still shit out of luck.

However, if it is strictly #3, there may be something that can be done, but don't count on it. It isn't like you can walk up to a politician or law enforcement official and ask them to kindly ignore the illegal activity and expect results. And as a reminder, speeding is illegal.

But the simple truth is, the Dragon may well just fall down into the category of things we enjoy in life where the few ruin it for the majority.

Oh, and for the law enforcement officers stopping people for "no reason", I call bullshit! I realize I have some rose colored glasses on in my view of law enforcement because I work in the "sterile" environment of the Pacific NW, but it is illegal for an officer to stop someone for "no reason". I can damn near guarantee you, the officer has a reason. You may think it's a bullshit reason, but I'll bet he has a legal, albeit a chippy ass one, to stop the ones that are getting stopped.

I think it is #3.

Seems cops all over the united states love those roads with insanely slow speed limits. It is their Mecca and their secret love.

I cruised through the dragon at illeagal speeds..(sometimes going 40 in the posted 30) (or faster..)

It is a shame but there are other roads near the same area without the evil eye of the law so viligent. Some actualy much more scenic.

If I had the double the cash to buy the place, I'd buy it and use the other half to buy off the cops...........

Knifemaker - Hopelessly goofy on booze because of a bad day at work.........

Last edited by a moderator:
I blame global warming.
I think your right, because in a few years there won't be anymore dragon burgers to serve! In fact fatalities will be welcome on the dragon, it's whats for dinner. :glare:

Proof: Clicky
So, um . . . . Why does the second sentence of that article point out that he's a restauranteur? Eww!

The idea of forming an investors syndicate and picking up a bike friendly resort intrigues me.

If there is enough serious interest, I suggest the members pitch some other ideas. This was just one.

So what else is available out there?

Derek

Oh, and for the law enforcement officers stopping people for "no reason", I call bullshit! I realize I have some rose colored glasses on in my view of law enforcement because I work in the "sterile" environment of the Pacific NW, but it is illegal for an officer to stop someone for "no reason". I can damn near guarantee you, the officer has a reason. You may think it's a bullshit reason, but I'll bet he has a legal, albeit a chippy ass one, to stop the ones that are getting stopped.

:rolleyes:

I blame global warming.
I think your right, because in a few years there won't be anymore dragon burgers to serve! In fact fatalities will be welcome on the dragon, it's whats for dinner. :glare:

Proof: Clicky
So, um . . . . Why does the second sentence of that article point out that he's a restauranteur? Eww!
And with some mathematical interpretation....

Soylent_green.jpg
==
cooks_tshirt.jpg
==
vision_people.jpg