Decisons...decisions....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Steve

Reaction score
Ok, please bear in mind that I am referring to Australian models.

This week I return home (I work at a mine site in Central Australia - Nickel) and a local shop I do most of my dealings with in Perth have sourced 2 FJR's for me to look at.

1. Yet to see pictures, but I am reliably informed that it is a 2005 FJR (Blue), 17000kms, Race Tech Suspension, gear rack (yuk!), condition has been described as "better than new". No price indication yet.

2. 2006 FJR (Silver), no top box, standard all round by the appearance of the photo. Fully clutched model. $AUD18990.00 I suspect it has approx 4000kms (based on discussions with salesman about an FJR they were looking at 3 weeks ago)

Question is: IS the 2006 model that far removed (engineering wise) from the 2005? Is the 06 THAT much better than the '05?

I will be stepping up from the '93 FJ1200 (3XW). I had a penchant for the Blue FJR (with stripes), but having watched the evolution of the stripe kit thread at this forum, the Silver is now very much in my sights.

I know that the search function is available......but I have limited 'my time' on the PC here at work.

regards

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
They're different generation bikes that are evolutionarily different....not revolutionarily. The changes are numerous and small.....and of nearly endless discussion on the board. My suggestion is starting by looking at the difference between the two Bin-O-Facts.

"Better" is highly subjective. I think the Gen 1 is better because of available nose space to stuff farkles. Gen 2 may think that gen is better because the heat issue is "fixed".

Try using the search when you're not at work. Those that read a bit are most rewarded when they ask discrete questions.

Steve, go for the new gen. and you will almost certainly be... "tick free"! :clapping:

From all the posts I have read from those that have transitioned from one to the other, the lack of heat on the '06 affecting the rider is significant when compared to an '05 even with all the fixes. That alone would sway me, but hey, I'm biased towards the '06 just cuz.

Ok, please bear in mind that I am referring to Australian models.
This week I return home (I work at a mine site in Central Australia - Nickel) and a local shop I do most of my dealings with in Perth have sourced 2 FJR's for me to look at.

1. Yet to see pictures, but I am reliably informed that it is a 2005 FJR (Blue), 17000kms, Race Tech Suspension, gear rack (yuk!), condition has been described as "better than new". No price indication yet.

2. 2006 FJR (Silver), no top box, standard all round by the appearance of the photo. Fully clutched model. $AUD18990.00 I suspect it has approx 4000kms (based on discussions with salesman about an FJR they were looking at 3 weeks ago)

Question is: IS the 2006 model that far removed (engineering wise) from the 2005? Is the 06 THAT much better than the '05?

I will be stepping up from the '93 FJ1200 (3XW). I had a penchant for the Blue FJR (with stripes), but having watched the evolution of the stripe kit thread at this forum, the Silver is now very much in my sights.

I know that the search function is available......but I have limited 'my time' on the PC here at work.

regards

Steve
Steve,

I may be wrong about this, so don't take my word for it, but I thought the Euro and Oz FJRs were a year 'behind' the Yank FJRs. In 2002 Yamaha released FJRs for sale in the USA, but they were called 2003 models. If nothing has changed, I would think that the 05/06 Oz bikes would be comparable to the 06/07 Yank bikes.

You might check with the international FJR site: FJROWNERS as there are several owners from Australia on there.

Hope that helps...

Having come from an '04 and stepping up to the new gen, I am also probably a little biased. But....I believe the improvements in the '06+ models far out weigh buying and putting bucks in an older mount.

--G

Cheers guys,

I thought this was the international forum. No problems. In regard to model specifics...our 06 model was the first with YCSS (no clutch)...does that compare with the US release?

Steve

Cheers guys,
I thought this was the international forum. No problems. In regard to model specifics...our 06 model was the first with YCSS (no clutch)...does that compare with the US release?

Steve
The release of the 06 realigns the world !! All models are in step with each other now, no more is the US a year behind, a world 06 is a US 06,, etc.

As owner of an 04 and 06...get the 06, you'll be better off in the long run.

I concur, have owned an '05 and also own an '06 FJR...go with the '06.

The only difference between the '06 and the '07 is the paint color.

When I bought my Harley Sportster, it was the last year before they solved the vibration issue by installing rubber mounts. The vibration is awful, and I felt ripped off by Harley.

I have an 05 FJR, and yes it gets hot. I've done all the fixes, so I'm at the point where I don't notice it (much) or obsess about it. Nor do I feel ripped off. I love my bike. But faced with a choice between an 05 and an 06, I'd get the 06.

Jb