Dentist wanted to alter healthy tooth.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportster

Reaction score
Had two dental crowns made. Dentist and Patient (me), feel one crown is too high.

Dentist adjusts new crown, no fit. Dentist wants to adjust intact and living tooth above site to accommodate new crown below.

I REFUSE. Dentist continues adjusting (grinding) new crown. No fit. Dentist makes new impression, orders new crown.

If you are a Dentist, (Putting your Tool in someones mouth does not make you a Dentist. LOL), is it standard protocol to alter a healthy tooth to accommodate a crown? How much surface material can a crown give up and still provide the expected longevity of a new and unaltered crown?

I presume the above scenario is the Dentist does not want to eat the cost of a remake, even if he is a shareholder in the Lab?

Feel free to respond by PM if you prefer.

Thanks!

Really sounds familiar! I was having the same problem. Changed Dentist and won't look back!

New dentist makes a 3D copy of the tooth and makes a perfect replacement in house!

"Dentist makes new impression, orders new crown."

Dependent on the amount of crown and remaining tooth lost due to reshaping this sounds right. Minimal loss of crown/tooth could be okay.

If the grinding away of the good tooth gets too close to the nerve, you're screwed! Then, you'll have all sorts of new problems. Tell this so called dentist to kiss your ass and find one that knows what he's doing. Don't ask me how I know that! :)

I will almost bet you, you had one impresion for both teeth. Don't get me going on dentistry. Haven't been back in 8 years. I have good insurance too. I wish I still had my NH dentist. He was AWESOME. Went to school in Canukistan also. The great white north Eh.

Dave

There are a whole lot of knuckleheads out there that some how got a degree in dentistry. The good thing is that they are easy to pick out. They are the ones that work in a chain of dentist offices. If you ask them if they can perform a particular serious procedure, they say, Uhhhh... No! We have a doctor that can do that but, he only comes in on Wednesdays and the next available appointment is in 3 months. There's your sign that it's time to walk out. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You are the consumer, the dentist provides his services to you. You have every right to insist that the crown be made properly. If it just plain won't work without grinding it too thin, by all means get another temporary put back in and have it recast. There is no such thing as a sacrificial layer of enamel on these things we have since childhood, and should be able to take to the grave.

Doctors (Dentists are doctors too) practice medicine. Sometimes they need more practice to get right. Sounds like your Dentist is one of them.

Brodie

;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
The skill of your dentist is the real question. I had a similar situation in 2002, only my crown covers up an implant (long story). My dentist had to relieve the tooth directly below the crown to make it work. I've had no problems for the past 12 years.

Thanks for the replies.

As background, not important to the issue at hand, as a new patient, I'd already asked the dentist what kind of shop he ran and what his business model was, i.e. sell services/stuff each visit, or only recommend what is necessary/preventative. I understand that without billable services, the dentist does not have a chance of staying open very long. LOL

He said he appreciated my frankness, and wished more patients would ask direct questions. His assistant told me great job, that in 30 years she had NEVER heard a patient ask the difficult, appropriate and direct questions I did.

The dentist is young, 3 years out of school, working in a smallish shop in a nice neighborhood. The primary dentist either hired him because he was sharp, or he is the son of one of the primary dentists buddies. LOL