Destin to Key West ride, looking for helpful information

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluedog

Reaction score
Hello, my son and I are thinking about trailering our bikes to Destin Florida the next couple of days and then dropping off in Destin and riding to Key West over a 6-8 day period. This is a last minute trip we are throwing together since there is no snow in Northern Michigan to snowmobile as we have the past 30 Xmas weeks. Any helpful do's and don't, routes, must see places, and just a general thought on if this is a worthwhile ride to be taken would sure help me in making the decision to go or not. Riding a 13' FJR and 11' R-6 so we need to stay on road. Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!

Ron

I live about 40 miles north of Tampa at perhaps 12 miles East of the Gulf of Mexico. If you come down US 19, it's a little slower but at least it's not the SLAB. Weeki Wachi Springs (remember the mermaids?) is about 30 minutes NW of my house. You're welcome to stop in at the house for lunch or something. You can catch the Sunshine Skyway bridge heading south over Tampa Bay. It's quite a sight and you should include it in your sight seeing itinerary. When ya coming through? Send me an IM on this forum or email me: [email protected]

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
What route are you planning? If you have the time to cruise, Passing through Sebring is nice. One word of caution though. As you leave the mainland on the causeway heading to the Keys, Do the speed limit because there will a Smokey the Bear pointing a radar gun at you every 5 miles or so. It can get Very expensive. Good this is, it's such a nice ride you won't wanna speed anyway. Enjoy!

We did this a few years ago. Rode from North Carolina to key west and back. Also ran into a couple of guys from the forum on the trip and ended up meeting them for supper in Key West. A couple of thoughts from my trip.

- Very straight roads and no reason to blast down them. I was leading, missed a lot of gators on the side of the road and such. I should have slowed down and enjoyed the scenery more.

- Took the 27 Northward on the way back. Much nicer than the interstates. Still remember smelling the Organges.

- Everyone said down end up driving back from Key West after dark. That's exactly what we did and it was one of the most beautiful rides I've ever done. Full moon, clear sky and ocean on both sides.

- Check motorcycleroads.com for recommended routes. I find that always very helpful.

- Ride from Jacksonville down to Daytona along the coast was also very nice.

We did spend some time looking for the one Mountain on the map. Thought we new exactly where it was but couldn't find it. Saw about a 50 ft hill in front of us and thought, should be able to at least see something. The 50 ft hill was actually Mount such and such. The boobs in Florida are bigger then the hills.

What route are you planning? If you have the time to cruise, Passing through Sebring is nice. One word of caution though. As you leave the mainland on the causeway heading to the Keys, Do the speed limit because there will a Smokey the Bear pointing a radar gun at you every 5 miles or so. It can get Very expensive. Good this is, it's such a nice ride you won't wanna speed anyway. Enjoy!
Driving in the daytime on the road to Key West takes a while. A fair bit of traffic, little passing opportunities so appreciate the scenery.

When we were driving back, it was about 1AM, no traffic at all, none. We were doing about 70 mph on the 7 mile bridge. No popo luckily. The 3rd guy with us was about 70 years old. We thought, he'll be a while because he got caught behind a car and is happy to take his time. All of sudden this thing comes blasting up behind us doing 120 mph at the end of the bridge. He just smiled and said he wanted to enjoy the ride together. That would be the fastest anyone went on that trip.

When you leave Destin on Hwy 98, head south on hwy 30A...beautiful (but slow) little seaside communities (the movie "the truman show was filmed at one of these). That will give you a slow, scenic,quiet, easy start on your adventure. You will be exiting 30A back onto hwy 98,then you can plan for scenic or speedy.

If you are going to head toward Daytona make sure you ride through the Ocala National Forest on the way. There are some nice roads and I like to smell the pine trees.

Thanks everyone for the input, my 20 year old son is raring to go. I'm still trying to weigh not going to Upper Michigan (we have a home there) or enjpoying Florida for the first time by bike. Timing puts us in Key West for New Years eve, hard to find a room but we will. Now I have to plan a route from somewhere, Destin or Jennings and then just go, any thoughts on where to drop a Suburban and trailer? We are in no hurry so speeding is not a must, I love to sight see and we have a lot of fun riding around here when it warms up, April! Sounds like this is a must do trip, am I wrong?

Thanks,

Ron M

Did the Key West thing for the 1st time last April. A place called Schooners Wharf (reserved for locals---not tourists) was recommended to me by a fjr forum member from there. I can say....without a doubt....that was the best piece of advice I got. Ask any local who lives there.....they will point you in the right direction. It's the best laid back beer and fried junk seafood place in Key West, the entertainment is #1.

Good trip, worth the ride.

If coming from the west and you are not in a hurry you can avoid alligator alley and ride further south to a 2 lane highway with some nice bends. You will come out in south Miami.

The 7 mile bridge at sunrise is awesome. Time your ride down (or up) to hit the bridge at that time. Respect the Key Deer Zone and be alert all the way through the community to the south of the zone. That is always where I have encountered them.

Enjoy the keys and don't be in a hurry cause the locals sure aren't !

When you get into Key west go to the tourist info office. They will find you a room at a good price. It will save you wandering all over the key.

Rob