Diablo Strada's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got over 8K on my Diablo Stradas, but ended up on cords 500 miles from home on the way back from WFO-6. They went from looking fine to Holy $hit! in no time... but were a great tire while on the bike. The front is still holding up well too...

They went from looking fine to Holy $hit! in no time...
I noticed that, too. Wonder if that's because there's less tread to dissipate the heat?
No, it's because there is no tread in the center of the tire so you just can't tell when it's about to go.

Stradas are my second favorite tire after the now discontinued (but I have a bunch in my garage :yahoo: ) Avon Azaros. But I will never run the Stradas again because of the instantly appearing belts. No matter how much past the wear bars I have run the Azaros, I have never seen cords or belts. But I was totally taken by surprise with the Stradas when the gleam of metal belts made themselves apparent one day. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm at 5K on my Stradas now, with E spec rear. I would estimate the tires to have at least 3-4K left. Half of the 5K is commuting and the other half is a trip from Mass to the Dragon and back via Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc...

I've had a handle bar shake from 45-65 since installation, not sure if its tire related (no front cupping) or a bad balance.

I only have stock Z4 to compare them too, and the Stradas are vastly superior.

...recently used up Strada "E" and now running 'stone 021's (3,000 mi. so far)

Got 8,000 mi out of Pirelli's but they were done, the ctr. casing scuffed up just prior to belts showing. Lot's of 80* days 70/80mph running. At 7,500 mi I figured I got my full use out of them.

Always 1 up riding, 42 psi rr., 39 psi fr. very smooth, high speed steadiness, and nice cornering characteristics. No headshake nor "standup" on trail braking in corners. I'm finding no perceptible difference in handling between the Diablo Strada and current 'stone 021's...., subtle diff. if anything.

Both tires preferred to 020 'stones, Mich P.R.1's, Conti R.A.'s. Interesting, how some burn these up in half the mileage of others...... different factors, road surface, ambient temps, hard charging full throttle starts... (your mileage will vary..)

I was always watching the wear bars and alerted to ctr. wear going away quickly, which it did. In the last 2,000 mi. I did not take any extensive rides and stretched/ maxed out my useage but never quite got to cords showing. Front was fine but I replace in pairs (unless continuing w/ same brand). It's a tire I could easily go back to.....

Just replaced a set of E Stradas with 7K on them. The rear looked to be about 75% worn. I changed them early because I am leaving on a long trip. To see just how much was left I cut off the rubber in the middle and these tires could have gone another 3K easy. The front looked about 50% worn, but was worn more on the sides than the middle suggesting not enough air. I had been running 38F/40R PSI.

They were a little heavier feeling than the Azaro's on turn in. But they do not have the head shake tendency the Azaro's had. Between the tapered steering bearing mod I just did, and now running 43F/ 42R PSI with new Strada rubber, this bike feels good.

Wondering if anyone has mounted these things ( that's on the bike Odot so steady there big fella ;) ) and put some miles one 'em. I have the promo set sitting in the garage and the stockers are about 2/3rds worn so it's just about time.
Just wondering what the initial impressions are?
Dude these tires suck. if you want you can send them to me and I can er.. dispose of them :)

Seriously, i think they are a fine balance of performance and life, i got just over 4000 miles out of my last back and contrary to popular belief it si quite easy to tell that you are out of tread. there are wear small bars that appear in 4s on every 4th groove in the tread or so. they are situated in to places on each side and distributed one to the center and one a bit more off center. when you tread becomes flush with these indicators replace immeadiately. there will be only a 1/16" of tread left (I know I cut mine open to find the belts and 1/16" was how deep in they were.

and contrary to popular belief it si quite easy to tell that you are out of tread.
Bullshit.

You may feel good about those IMHO worthless tire wear indicators off the centerline of the tire, but for me they instill zero confidence in being able to accurately predict endlife of the tire. I have run several other brand/models of tires on the FJR and don't have this issue with any of them. Only the Stradas (and the Metz Z-6 as it's nearly the same tire treadwise) And I am not the only one to take issue with the Strada/Z-6 . There have been several other threads in the past with many other peeps complaining about the same thing. Yet I have seen ZERO complaints regarding this issue with any other brand or model of tire that fits the FJR.

You must be special.

Clicky #1

Clicky #2

when you tread becomes flush with these indicators replace immeadiately. there will be only a 1/16" of tread left (I know I cut mine open to find the belts and 1/16" was how deep in they were.
That may be the reality with how you wore that specific tire that one time. But I think it's a major stretch to assume that every one else will wear down a tire identically to the way yours did.

Click on the links provided above. Maybe some don't have any problems, but many do. And like I said, with regards to this issue, don't see anybody bitchin about any other brand/model of tire.

Gentlemen if you are showing belts on the tyre you have not been paying attention to the process of looking after your tyres and buy default not doing proper maintenance on them. The way I do it once I see the tyre wearing down a little I always check them before and after a ride always after every ride!.....I don't look at the wear bars I push the centre of the rear tyre in with my thumbs and you can feel how thin it is! Even though there is a good amount of air pressure (42psi or above) you can actually feel the thinness because the centre of the tyre flexes in very easily. Once this is done it's time for a change....they are a great tyre and I am on my second lot...I think some of you are seriously over picky!

I love these tires- my favorites, after the Azaro.

I have almost 5000 miles on this set- quiet, no wobbles or weird wear. I'm 160 lbs and run 42/42 psi- mostly one up, daily commuter miles but have two short (1000 mile) trips with pillion on these tires. The first trip was the day they were mounted- left the shop and rode immediately into heavy rain. Tires did great.

These replaced a set of BT021s (both scalloped, the front immediately). Storms before that (front scalloped), stock Metzlers (Z4s; front separated) before that.

Until Avon or Metzler gets their shit together, these are my tires.

My 0.02.

Jim/jonesin'

Ok Scoot,

Point taken. looking at those tire images you can see the wear bars are only just starting to indicate what the center of the tire is clearly well beyond. That is not a safe design.

So I stand corrected. Of course however, I also read a lot of those gripes from this site and fjrowners and so I was checkin the center of my tread with my fingernails at every stop of the last two trips. On the last trip you could really tell that the rubber was not dimpling when you pushed you nail in like it would if there was a lot of rubber over the belts.

-k

Gentlemen if you are showing belts on the tyre you have not been paying attention to the process of looking after your tyres and buy default not doing proper maintenance on them. The way I do it once I see the tyre wearing down a little I always check them before and after a ride always after every ride!.....I don't look at the wear bars I push the centre of the rear tyre in with my thumbs and you can feel how thin it is! Even though there is a good amount of air pressure (42psi or above) you can actually feel the thinness because the centre of the tyre flexes in very easily. Once this is done it's time for a change....they are a great tyre and I am on my second lot...I think some of you are seriously over picky!
YES! gunny on this. but Scoot has a point; the indicators are sufficiently off center so... someone in Indiania (or god forbid Nebraska) where they are upright all the time, the indicators which should be a reliable "indicator" are essentially giving you a false sense of security.

PS I use my thumb nails and feel for the stiffness of the belts under the softer rubber. are you saying that you press down on the center of the tire and assess the whether it is easier to depress? You must have some big ass thumbs, not pencil thumbs like me.

Just drill three freakin holes in the center area at 5.7mm depth for the standard Strada rear. When the holes are gone so is the tire.

I've covered this topic to DEATH!!! elsewhere.

Use a model airplane wheel collar on a 3/16" drill bit or dremel bit or small round router bit. It takes less than two minutes to do and you have instant tread indicators dead in the center.

Where's Iggy when you need somebody to say SEARCH!

JK, I never do well with searches either.

:)

Just drill three freakin holes in the center area at 5.7mm depth for the standard Strada rear. When the holes are gone so is the tire.I've covered this topic to DEATH!!! elsewhere.

Use a model airplane wheel collar on a 3/16" drill bit or dremel bit or small round router bit. It takes less than two minutes to do and you have instant tread indicators dead in the center.

Ok, I'm sure it works and all that but for me... drillin holes in tires jest dont seem like a solid idea. but thats just me :rolleyes:

Na mate just normal thumbs should try it one day it's amazing! Blew me alway such an easy test.
So your just pushing in on the center and trying to feel its ease to collapse?

Yes mate do it on a fresh rear and then on a used rear you can really feel the difference.

Just drill three freakin holes in the center area at 5.7mm depth for the standard Strada rear. When the holes are gone so is the tire.
I've covered this topic to DEATH!!! elsewhere.

And if you should hear a long pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst, you went too far.