Diablo Strada's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmmm......................drilling holes in a tire seems like just about as good an idea as looking down the barrel of a gun to see if it's loaded.

Just replaced a Strada on the rear of my bike. It had roughly 8K miles and it was corded pretty well. It lasted longer than any other tire I've had on the back. I've had two Dunlop 220s, both of those lasted around 4K miles and a Pilot Power which also lasted about 4K miles. I'm gonna try either ME880s next or the new sport touring Shinkos {009s/Ravens?} after I run through a crap load of take offs I got from various places including some track tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a non-E spec on previously and was very disappointed. It wore poorly and quickly. Also seemed more sensitive to tar strips than any tire I've ever ridden on. Nevertheless I replaced it with an E-spec and am happier in every way with it thus far with about 3k on it now. Time will tell if I'll buy another when this one is gone, but I would definately recommend AGAINST the non-E spec. I figured it was just ad hype to get a few extra bucks out of my wallet...I was wrong.

YMMV,

First set of Pirelli Diablo Strada's, after stock Metzlers, Michelins, Avon Venoms, Avon Storms. So far (4k miles) best tire of the bunch, by far.
UPDATE: Just hit the cords and a subsequent flat on my first set of Pirelli Diablo Strada's at 8,589. Ran 40/42 air pressure. The tires handled great, but no indication of impending cords.

I'm going to try another set from SW Moto.

Paste.

I was very disappointed in rear wear. I was showing metal belts on my "E" spec rear at 3780 miles. Now granted, those were some extremely hard miles as they included my 2k+ day, but that was totally un-satisfactory. I got 14,700 miles on my last rear Avon and it had 2 BBGs on it.
What are BBGs? Big-butted girls?

I was very disappointed in rear wear. I was showing metal belts on my "E" spec rear at 3780 miles. Now granted, those were some extremely hard miles as they included my 2k+ day, but that was totally un-satisfactory. I got 14,700 miles on my last rear Avon and it had 2 BBGs on it.
What are BBGs? Big-butted girls?
Bun Burner Gold - even us civilians have to know the terminology to keep up around here.

First set of Pirelli Diablo Strada's, after stock Metzlers, Michelins, Avon Venoms, Avon Storms. So far (4k miles) best tire of the bunch, by far.
UPDATE: Just hit the cords and a subsequent flat on my first set of Pirelli Diablo Strada's at 8,589. Ran 40/42 air pressure. The tires handled great, but no indication of impending cords.

I'm going to try another set from SW Moto.

Paste.
Paste,

Buy a package of 1/4" wheel collars for model airplane landing gear ($2). Lock one collar on a 1/4" dremel cutter, router bit, or drill bit EXACTLY 5.0mm from the tip (for non E-spec rear). Drill three dimples into the center area of the tire when it's brand new.

Wahlaa, you have wear indicators. When the dimple is gone soon is the tire.

I'd mentioned having blown a rear on the Diablo Strada's at 8,589 miles. When checking about ordering new tires, I noticed that I'd been using the non E tires. PLEASE advise as to the difference (other than the 1.4mm wider tread) between the E and non E Diablo Strada.

Thanks.

Paste

The "E" spec has a stiffer sidewall. The non "E" spec has more tread depth for better mileage. According to a trusted friend, the non "E" spec works fine and there is no handling differences despite the lack of a heavily reinforced sidewall. In addition, the "E" spec is said to be a real sumbitch to mount.