Different headlights for left side of road?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harvey Mushman

Reaction score
I'm looking at shipping my 2006 FJR to NZ to visit my brother for a month. Bike prices there are much higher and we are considering having him buy it from me when I'm done. Can anyone tell me if the headlights are the same part number for the bikes that were sold in countries that drive on the other side of the road? If so, he would need them in order to import the bike.

Thanks, Harvey

They should be the same. There is no "kick up" in the low beam cutoff pattern. It's just straight across, which allows it to be run on both (right and wrong) sides of the road.

You may also want to check the requirements for speedometer/odometer. Make sure they will allow the "dual" English/Metric speedometer for the US bike with odometer only in miles. That was OK for Canadian import even though the km/hr are almost unreadable by anyone over the age of 30.

Never considered it, but is the sidestand on the righthand side for a "wrongside" bike? Leftside stand would be awkward stopping on a sloped highway shoulder; large lean.

In the UK, the headlights do have a "tilt", the dipped beam cut-off is angled for high on the left (curb side), low on the right. (Probably a legal requirement here.)

Side stand is the same in all markets, on the left. If the camber is large, I back the bike into the curb at an angle, this means the road surface is a little higher under the stand's foot. If this isn't practical, I've learnt to swing my upper body to help get the bike up, it's one of these knacks you have to learn when you're old, light and weak, same as putting it onto the centre-stand.

Last edited by a moderator:
The headlight reflector and switchgear is market specific, as is the emissions control package. Don't buy a bike originally destined for France.

Headlights are different and there are a few other requirements that you should check out with the registration authorities and the Government in regards importing a bike . Have a good look at the second hand market as it may be just as easy to buy a good second hand one ,then sell it latter if your Brother dose not want it . sometimes what you save is not worth the hassle and time delay .

Wow, I'd have never even considered such an issue. Good question.

I'm still trying to get over the mental motion sickness which resulted from trying to imagine driving on the wrong side of the road AND upside down.

Here comes lunch...

Last edited by a moderator:
bgross - you would adapt remarkably well. I have spent alot of time in the Cayman Islands and it is amazing how quickly you pick it up! Like riding a bike - only backward and .... upside down like you said...

Good point about left side stand on high camber opposite side of the road. I tried it with fully loaded R200GS on country roads in AUS. Very big lean.

Just wait until your first encounter with a busy 5 way roundabout on opposite side roads!

Latest posts