Disappearing nuts?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YummYam

Reaction score
Thought it worth a mention that when I was fitting a relay and battery tender pigtail at the weekend under the seat, I couldn't believe my eyes when I noticed the gas tank rear fixing bolt had lost it's nut !!!

Now I have only slackened it off once when I raised the tank to do a TBS, and that was prob a year and a half ago! (only 3k miles for me!)

but I'm 100% certain I tightened it fully afterwards.....so what happened?

Might be worth checking yours, I will from now on.

It is not a locking nut, so it must be at least snug to ensure enough torque to prevent it from vibrating off. You can put a ny-loc nut on it if you like.....

Hahaha....Steve lost a nut! Check with wifey, she probably has it in her jewelry case!

That's where my wife keeps mine anyway. ;)

The 1st time I went under my tank at 28k (I bought used) My nut was also missing.

I have since checked regularly to insure I don't have a loose nut behind the tank.

And here I thought this was going to be a topic decrying the bitter winter weather...
biggrin.png

This must be one of the most forgotten nuts on the bike.

(Click on image for larger view)

Many people seem to forget to loosen it when lifting the tank, and wonder why the front holes don't line up when they lower it.

Several have lost it in the past (including me) because they didn't tighten it.

At least if it's lost, you won't have trouble aligning the front holes
rolleyes.gif

It is not a locking nut, so it must be at least snug to ensure enough torque to prevent it from vibrating off. You can put a ny-loc nut on it if you like.....
Yup, a visit to Home Depot supplied one of those. Lets see that sucker vanish! (Famous last words)!

When I first saw the title I thought it was about BUST!
laugh.png

Low and behold it was actually feejer related. I also am missing the same nut the last time I had the tank up. Need to get a replacement.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost that nut too, luckily one of our fellow forum members (I was at his house at the time of discovery) had one in the misc. fasteners drawer.