Disassemble side/rear bag for painting....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckydog

Reaction score
Has anyone here disassembled the side bags or the rear bag? I am going to be re-painting the whole bike - it's a 2003 and I need a change, it's a lot cheaper to paint the bike than to buy a new one.

The problem is that I want to take the bags apart to make it easier to paint and has anyone done this? Can I just drill out the rivets and than re-do them once I have painted it?

Thanks

okay, so I drill out the rivet... how do I get the black inner plastic off the painted shell? or do I even need to worry about that? I really want to get a good paint job and I don't want to cut a few corners now and be hating it later....

Same with the top box, does it just pull apart? it looks pretty well built....

Luckydog

The inner liner is glued in. Don't try and yank it out. I'd leave the bag intact and simply do a proper masking job.

would you suggest removing the rivets and only sending half the bag to the painter?
Yup. Popping the rivets is easy, putting in the screws to replace the rivets is a total ass-pain and could lead to scratched fresh paint. If the painter is worth his salt, he can masked the rest properly.

Just drive out the pins and have him mask around the hinge. The inner (black ABS plastic) will not hold paint very well without proper prep and paint. Only the lid is reasonably paintable.

can't I just re-rivet the bag back on?

Yes, you can. The problem is trying to do it by yourself. The bag lid/hinge/case interface is all kaflooey and won't sit right and still for you to work on. You'll need another set of hands to help (I don't suggest Scab's as his always go wandering in your nether regions while you try and work the tools).

I've already drillled out the rivets myself as well. Just use a slightly larger drill bit (3/32") and a good set of angled needle nose pliers to get the back half of the rivet free from the outer shell. The inner and outer shell will seperate abit to help you remove that last remaining piece of rivet. Now to find a good painter. Last quote was for $800.00 (CA) to paint two bag shellls and the bug screen. The edge on the top of my left bag was chipped, the right was the unfortunate result of leaving the u- lock on the front wheel ... duh !!

I can repaint the lids for about $75 each plus return shipping. If they are severely gouged, it will be a bit more. How anyone can charge $800??? :angry2: Bunch of sheisters... PM me if you want to pursue...

Has anyone here disassembled the side bags or the rear bag? I am going to be re-painting the whole bike - it's a 2003 and I need a change, it's a lot cheaper to paint the bike than to buy a new one.
The problem is that I want to take the bags apart to make it easier to paint and has anyone done this? Can I just drill out the rivets and than re-do them once I have painted it?

Thanks
Yes, that's the way to go. It is so easy it's child's play, really. I can tell you with confidence from my own experience. I was very intimidated by this procedure simply because I hadn't the foggiest idea of what I was doing. I never even held a rivet, much less a rivet gun, in my hands before. Now that all is said and done it was one of the easiest things I ever did, and I will also sing praises for Garauld. His work is great and he will treat you well. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Thanks
Yes, that's the way to go. It is so easy it's child's play, really. I can tell you with confidence from my own experience. I was very intimidated by this procedure simply because I hadn't the foggiest idea of what I was doing. I never even held a rivet, much less a rivet gun, in my hands before. Now that all is said and done it was one of the easiest things I ever did, and I will also sing praises for Garauld. His work is great and he will treat you well. Feel free to pm me with any questions.
+1 Garauld did a great job on mine and the riveting was a piece of cake once I bought the correct size.

Thanks
+1 Garauld did a great job on mine and the riveting was a piece of cake once I bought the correct size.
[SIZE=12pt]I am putting a new cover on my 1st gen hard bag. I looked on the microfiche and can not find the correct size or part number of the rivet. The 4 rivets that hald the cover to the hard bag. I am at work and will be going to the auto part store and or Yamaha dealer at lunch and do not have the bag or cover with me. Does anyone know the correct size of the rivet? Thanks in advance.[/SIZE]

Axeman

Does anyone know the correct size of the rivet?
I supply new rivets with the lids I repaint which are 5/32 (4mm) medium length aluminum. The shank under the head measures about 1/2" long. A well stocked HW store should have them. If you prefer, PP me $2 and I will mail you 5 new rivets (4 plus a spare). PM me if you want to pursue.

BTW, removing the rivets from the backing plates can be difficult. The procedure I use is: insert a 1/4" wooden wedge between the outer painted lid and the inner black liner to gain better access to the rear of the backing plates. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to try and wiggle the rivet bodies out. They only come out 1/4 of the time. If it didn't work, pull out the backing plate. It is held on with a piece of double sided tape. Once it is removed, grind the rivet so it's flush on one side of the plate and use a pin punch to push it out. I use a new piece of ds tape to put it back in it's place, but a drop of adhesive will work too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]Again Gary! You are right on the money. I got some 5/32 rivets and using most of your method.. I am done and it looks great.[/SIZE]

Thanks again.

Axeman

I've already drillled out the rivets myself as well. Just use a slightly larger drill bit (3/32") and a good set of angled needle nose pliers to get the back half of the rivet free from the outer shell. The inner and outer shell will seperate abit to help you remove that last remaining piece of rivet. Now to find a good painter. Last quote was for $800.00 (CA) to paint two bag shellls and the bug screen. The edge on the top of my left bag was chipped, the right was the unfortunate result of leaving the u- lock on the front wheel ... duh !!
Dude,

This is way overkill. I painted my saddlebag right side because the thing fell off and got scratched up. I used body putty and sanded ,primed painted, finished with 3 coats of clear. I just masked it and did all this in my garage. Can't tell the difference from factory. I haven't done any body work since highschool days, about 34 yrs ago. So I was really happy how it turned out.

I'd like to repaint my bags too.Does somebody know, how to remove the reflectors from the bags (USA model) ?

Ervin

They're stuck on with 3M automotive adhesive tape. I've removed mine using a large chef's knife!!! You can do it without damaging the reflector or the cover if your careful.