DIY Mirror Extensions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ogopogo

Reaction score
Made these extensions so I could see a little more of the road and a little less of my arms. Each mirror is now about an inch wider, a couple inches back, and a little higher. Modest improvement at no cost except for my time. Not sure if it was worth doing but I'll probably leave them on. The notch on the underside is a drain hole.

mirror_extensions.jpg

left_mirror_mount.jpg

Update: After 500 kms I realize I haven't had to dip my elbows a single time. That's a worthwhile improvement for me. And it only took a day or so to get used to the somewhat more elephant-eared appearance.
smile.png

"Update: After 500 kms I realize I haven't had to dip my elbows a single time. That's a worthwhile improvement for me. And it only took a day or so to get used to the somewhat more elephant-eared appearance.
smile.png
"

Nice work! Did you modify something to get that, or is it made from scratch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work! Did you modify something to get that, or is it made from scratch?
Scratch built from steel strap. Each extension is made from one 1/8" x 1" x 9" bent into a U. And 3 pieces of 1/8" x 3/4" x 2" with 4 drilled holes. Bolts tacked in to provide the mounting studs. All the joints are V grooved to bury the welds, and after that it's mostly trimming and grinding. A couple hours for the first one, and about one hour for the second. They'd be better if made from aluminum, and I may do that some day if I run out of projects.