Do people ask you what your bike is??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been asked several times if mine (Blue 05) is a BMW. The best one I had though was on a return trip from Colorado. I had just spent a week riding most of the best, curviest, highest roads I knew of. I passed a harley just inside the Colorado state line, got to the next town in Kansas, (Syracuse) and stopped for gas.
True story!
Wow. I spent the night in Syracuse once on my way to Colorado. Just couldn't go any further that day. The motel was a real dump but there was a good diner next door. A bunch of locals were there eating very fresh steaks, so I had one too. It was a good slabomeat. Nobody asked my about the feej there and I left before sunrise the next morning, anxious to find the CO state line and get some altitude before it started getting hot again. Things are a long way apart out there.

[SIZE=18pt]I have been asked if mine were a mercedes, [/SIZE] from someone on a bentley chopper

I don't know about you guys, but a lot of people never seem to know what make or model my bike is. In all fairness to non-bikers, the FJR is quite subtle in declaring its manufacturer's name and its capacity, so because my bike doesn't have the two stripes on the side (it's an 06 model), I was thinking of doing something like this.....
fjrdecals.jpg

What do you think?

Guy at a rest stop tells me that he wants to get a bike just like mine.........then he asks what kind of bike it is. :blink:

My favorite occurance:
I pulled into a gas station/mini mart and rolled up to the store. I turned the engine off and was getting off my FJR when a very lovely sweet-young-thing said, "Niiiice biiike....."

As I pulled my helmet off, seeing my grey beard and...uhm...character lines, she added, "...Sir!"

pfthhhhppppp, the sound of my ego deflating. :dribble:
Sounds familiar...got off my ZZR once and a young thing was check me and the bike out till I pulled off my helmet to reveal my bald head and greying beard.

At that point she walked away.

But honey wait, I can still get it up...on one wheel anyway!

I took my bike to the dealer yesterday on a trailer. I noticed several other drivers staring at it. B) One time two ladies in a van rode along side for awhile and pointed at my baby. Even customers back in the service dept kept staring at it. Am I jealous cuz the bike is getting all the attention instead of me? haha

Yeah, down here in South Eastern Arizona I get the, "what kind of BMW is that?". Oh well, at least I know what it is........

Most of the time I get the "Why would you put bags on a crotch rocket?" Most have a clue that it is a Yamaha, but they have no clue what type. After I tell them it is a Sport-Touring bike I get the "That can't be comfortable. I like to relax with my feet forward (a la Crusier style)." If they only knew.

I've only had my '06 for less than 2 weeks and it's already been mistaken for a BMW a half-dozen times. Not surprising, though. FJRs are thin on the ground around here.

when ever someone asks if it's a BMW, I reply...no its't the bike that BMW wished thay had built
When people ask that, it's because most non-bikers know only 2 or 3 brands, Harley, Honda, and/or BMW. It's pretty obvious it's not a Harley, so they're guessing the only other brand they know. They're also just making conversation, and this is a potential teaching moment.

when ever someone asks if it's a BMW, I reply...no its't the bike that BMW wished thay had built
When people ask this, why don't we start responding "No, it's not a BMW but it is THE ultimate driving machine." Oh, that sounds good.... think I'll add it to my signature!!