Do you always wear a helmet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's some odd connection between bike/riding style and helmet use. I've found most sport touring oriented folks to be quite fanatical about their gear, to the point that they're quite willing to belittle those who don't share their opinion.
Why does this seem to be so true, especially here on this forum?

There's some odd connection between bike/riding style and helmet use. I've found most sport touring oriented folks to be quite fanatical about their gear, to the point that they're quite willing to belittle those who don't share their opinion.
Why does this seem to be so true, especially here on this forum?
I have a feeling, again my opinoin, that many on this forum ride in very congested areas. When I ride down 270 in rush hour traffic I definitely "feel" more comfortable wearing all my gear.

In say Colorado where there was only a car every 10 miles it seemed I felt perfectly comfortable with no helmet and enjoying the sun and breeze.

Again my choice, freedom, and the ability to make my own decision.

I didn't wear my helmet once, crashed and look what happened to me! :blink:

All I can say is that I'm not up for more government controls. What I am up for is if you crash without your helmet on and you are lying in the hospital bed looking like a head of broccoli then I get to pull the plug and hand the bills to your newly windowed wife and fatherless kids. That way, they would have that much more for which to remember you by...

Do what you want, but IMO, you're a moron if you ride without a helmet.

Have a lovely day! :)

No problem with me. I am an adult and understand the consequences.

Again I wear my helmet and I have no problem with it.

I also don't call those that don't morons.

Those that want to agree govn't should continue to rule me to death I call those people morons.

When people start realizing automobile crashes cause much more "BURDEN" on society and start imposing much better training and also make those people wear much better safety devices then I will start to care what govn't has to say.

For them to say, in many insurance and public groups that called for these helmet laws, that motorcyclists don't have insurance and cause a burden. They make it seem like car drivers are more responsible, all have insurance, don't cause a burden on society and that motorcyclists are scum.

What's fair is fair.

I am for wearing helmets, I am [SIZE=14pt]AGAINST[/SIZE] helmet laws.
+1

I think not wearing a helmet is stupid. I think there's enough scientific evidence to support that. I think people who don't wear helmets are, for the most part, deluding themselves or are actually stupid. :bigeyes:

However, I do think that the choice should be up to the individual. There are a myriad of incredibly stupid, yet perfectly legal activities.

Okay Sparky, fair enough. So let me modify my statement:

Do what you want, but IMO, you're a moron if you ride without a helmet or drive without seatbelts or ride or drive without sufficient insurance to cover your ass in the event of a catastrphic vegitative state creating 'accident'.

That's fine TWN but if you read through my posts my issue really is not with wearing helmets.

It is with govn't forcing it just like with seat belts.

It is with the idea that our society has been lifted a burdon since forcing them.

Nothing more.

I don't disagree that they save lives.

FREEDOM OF CHOICE is my stand....

That's cool Sparky, I'm wit cha. But there are some out there who fuck it up for the rest of us. Those morons need legislating to protect me (my wallet) from them. Das all Um sayin'.

Insurance companies hit by natural disasters have enough to worry about in increases to our premiums.

Our soldiers coming back from foreign wars that don't get taken care of properly could use some help and concern.

Many other things to worry about than this topic for sure!!!

It does but apparently your pockets aren't deep enough.

The rotation around you is more egg shaped than round and on the outer edge we at that time deal with other issues...

:D

Argument for argument's sake? Here, let's toss this one out there...The ocean is wet.
That's true, but boy is is hard when you hit it fast. :dribble:

@Sparky - You and others like you are why these threads go on so long. While I respect your right to have your beliefs, I grow tired of you trying to convince the rest of us that you're "right". State your opinion, then let it go.

Life is about risk management. We all have our own ideas and beliefs on what constitutes a risk for us, and just how risky it is for the given circumstances.

When I ride, I manage the risks involved by wearing protective gear, amoung many other things. I nearly always wear a full face helmet. I have been known to wear shorts and go sans helmet on the ride to dinner after spending all day sweating my butt off in full gear on a hot summer day. When doing so, I enjoy the ride, but manage my risks by riding at more relaxed speeds and with a heightened sense of awareness, beyond my normal state of assuming everyone else is trying to kill me, including the animals and the DOT workers by their inaction to road debris and poor conditions. <_<

Cruiser riders tend to wear helmets less, but also tend to ride at a lower 'envelope' than Sport-Touring riders. S-T riders tend to push the envelope a bit more, but usually not as much as Sport bike riders. Some Sport bike riders, especially the young, inexperienced ones and those who still believe themselves to be indestructible, tend to ride as though they are trying to prove that they can kill themselves, despite the gear they wear.

Those are blatant, huge generalizations on purpose. B) Now lighten the hell up!

Argument for argument's sake? Here, let's toss this one out there...The ocean is wet.
That's true, but boy is is hard when you hit it fast. :dribble:

@Sparky - You and others like you are why these threads go on so long. While I respect your right to have your beliefs, I grow tired of you trying to convince the rest of us that you're "right". State your opinion, then let it go.

Life is about risk management. We all have our own ideas and beliefs on what constitutes a risk for us, and just how risky it is for the given circumstances.

When I ride, I manage the risks involved by wearing protective gear, amoung many other things. I nearly always wear a full face helmet. I have been known to wear shorts and go sans helmet on the ride to dinner after spending all day sweating my butt off in full gear on a hot summer day. When doing so, I enjoy the ride, but manage my risks by riding at more relaxed speeds and with a heightened sense of awareness, beyond my normal state of assuming everyone else is trying to kill me, including the animals and the DOT workers by their inaction to road debris and poor conditions. <_<

Cruiser riders tend to wear helmets less, but also tend to ride at a lower 'envelope' than Sport-Touring riders. S-T riders tend to push the envelope a bit more, but usually not as much as Sport bike riders. Some Sport bike riders, especially the young, inexperienced ones and those who still believe themselves to be indestructible, tend to ride as though they are trying to prove that they can kill themselves, despite the gear they wear.

Those are blatant, huge generalizations on purpose. B) Now lighten the hell up!
Not trying to make anyone think I am right. If you knew me you would know I don't give a crap.

If someone responds I respond back.

If you didn't want the thread to go on you didn't have to respond or include my name.

Emotions are hard to convey so just to say it I am light. I didn't let my emotions take over at any time during this thread...

Thanks you very much :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to have to start bumping this thread just to piss everyone off more :D

This thread will never die.

We will all die of bird flu anyway.

Helmets only make Emergency personels cleanup job easier.

:D ;) :lol: :eek: :huh: :p B) :) :blink: :unsure: :agent: :beee: :cownoy: :dribble:

The only time I've been on a moving motorcycle without a helmet is when I'm taking it in or out of the garage to work on it. From time to time I've ridden around a little in my backyard, chasing the dogs for fun without a lid. Sometimes I wear a skid lid for local errands, but generally a flip-up fullface (HJC Sy-Max) when in serious traffic. Course we have a helmet law here in NC so I don't really have a (legal) choice. I'd still wear one anyway..

Yes.

I said 'hello' to the chip 'n seal doing a slider with my RD-350 when I was 25. One second the were no problems at all in my world, the next I was testing the wear resistance of my denim. Lots of deep gouges in the side of my 3/4 helmet.

Only had to learn the hard way once.

BTW, the damn dog got up & walked away...