Do you hear a clack clack ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenSource

Reaction score
I spent a while searching the tech section, but have not found any of you guys reporting this problem.

As I posted a few weeks back, I was rear-ended pretty solidly. I have had an estimate done which shows all the visible damage.

but I am concerned about the drive shaft. :unsure:

When putting the bike on the center stand, and running in neutral, the wheel does not always spin.(Sometimes it does). Then, when in gear and the wheel spinning, I can hear a faint clock-clock sound coming from the shaft.

I cannot feel anything abnormal when riding or hear any noises.

I'm about at the point at which I will have to give a final OK to the Insurance co. so I'm a bit concerned about any future probs.

Do you have any sounds like this? Does your wheel spin when in neutral on the center stand sometimes, and sometimes not?

Thanks, for any input

OS,

The wheel spins while on the center stand because it's a wet clutch. This is very noticeable when cold, and the oil is thick. Once the engine warms up, the stiction of the oil lessens, and the hydraulic drag stops, ergo the wheel stops.

The 'clacking' is also normal to some extent - there is normal drive line lash in the system, and when the wheel has no traction with the ground, it's very mildly accelerating and slowing against the lash in the drive train. This presents as a "clack" sound that you describe.

I've read about a simple way to measure drive line lash - put the bike on the side stand, in first gear, and roll it forward until it stops - mark the forward edge of the side stand on the concrete with a marker of your choice. Then roll the bike backwards till it stops - and mark again. The distance between the two represents the amount of drive train lash - I just went out and measured mine, at it's right at 3 inches, cold.

I don't know if it will change when hot - but it might.

This should give you something to compare with.

Bike is a 2006 with 23K.

You could try this also: put the bike on the centerstand, start it (let it warm to normal idle), put it in gear (first is as good as any), Now gently apply the rear brake (to load the engine slightly and also prevent the drive train from lashing back and forth). Does the Click/Clack remain or does it go away. If it goes away, you should probably be fine. If not, it may require another trip to the dealer.

Dunno if this helps, but when I shut off my bike and coast slowly to a stop I hear a faint (clack clack?) sound about identical to doing the same thing on my chain drive bike.

kaitsdad,

Thanks, that seems to be the exact scenario. :clapping: It spins while cold, but not when warmed up. Also the noise is not present when cold.

That eases my mind a bit.

Now I can go into my carbohydrate coma tomorrow without a worry about the feejr. :lol:

All you guys and Gals have a Happy Bird Day !! :drinks:

You could try this also: put the bike on the centerstand, start it (let it warm to normal idle), put it in gear (first is as good as any), Now gently apply the rear brake (to load the engine slightly and also prevent the drive train from lashing back and forth). Does the Click/Clack remain or does it go away. If it goes away, you should probably be fine. If not, it may require another trip to the dealer.
After the Service Manager took my bike for a ride I did the above which totally let Him hear my middle gear problem !

Buy the YES extended warranty from D&H Cycle, you won't regret it. Around $700 cheaper than I was offered by the selling dealer ! My money is on "clack clack" as normal....

Last edited by a moderator: