Does anyone know the capacity of the stock sidebags??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lharrell79

Reaction score
I searched and searched, and can't find an answer. So does anyone know what the liter capacity of the factory sidebags is? Also, can Givi sidebags be put on instead of the stock ones?

Thanks, Lucas

39 liters ea. for the OEM ones.

As for the Givi question, you can... but

a ) you need special attachments for the Givi bags

b ) they don look as good as the Yammy ones (YMMV)

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the Givi question, you can... but

a ) you need special attachments for the Givi bags

b ) they don look as good as the Yammy ones (YMMV)

Stef
Thanks for the quick response. 39L is plenty. So yeah, there is really no reason to swap them.

Thanks again, Lucas

I searched and searched, and can't find an answer. So does anyone know what the liter capacity of the factory sidebags is? Also, can Givi sidebags be put on instead of the stock ones?
Thanks, Lucas
Are you still "Other or considering FJR"?

It seems that Givi has a new mounting system available for GenI owners. That is in addition to the rack they have been offering for GenII owners who want to mount larger side bags.

I suggest checking out their website:

Givi SR346 - Case carrier for GenI

Givi SR357 - Case carrier for GenII

It's a little confusing because the SR346 is "To be mounted only with the original side-cases", but the photo clearly shows E41s mounted on an '05

REI sells water proof bags that can be strapped on top of the side bags. When my wife and I went to Houston from Denver we had these incase we bought more stuff. They work. So maybe another 20 liters on top!!! :D

I suspect that 39 liters is a Yamaha claimed capacity and probably based on the outside size of the bags. However, the bags are double walled and have an irregular shape which greatly reduces the actual usable capacity -- which I would estimate is about 25 liters (before the liner is added). The Yamaha liner, which is very well built but bulky, measures out to about 30 liters but it you fill it much past 2/3's full, it will not fit in the saddle bag.

I also have a JC Whitney large trunk which is a knockoff of a Givi 36 and it will hold at least 50 percent more than a FJR saddlebag. There is a reason why so many FJR owners add a trunk.

Edit: I just found this on another forum:

AS per BIKE Magazine Jan 08 Edition Page 108....

BMW R1200RT SE 32 Litres per bag.

BMW K1200GT SE 32 Litres per bag

Pan Eurobean or ST 1300 35 Litres per bag.

GTR1400 or Concours 14 35 Litres per bag.

FJR 1300 30 Litres per bag.

To answer a few of the questions, I'm still other and considering. I'm riding an R6 right now, but will hopefully be getting an FJR in the short future. I can't really find any good deals on a used one around Austin, so I might be going new. I already plan on getting a Givi E52 for the back. The reason I'm inquiring about the side bags is that when I went and looked at the bikes the other day, the side bags just didn't look all that big. I'm a firefighter, and sometimes we have to travel to another station in the middle of our shift. So the plan is to have a bike with enough storage to put my turnouts (trousers, jacket, boots, helmet, gloves) in or on, my bedding (twin sheet set, small blanket, and pillow), and some food for the shift. I will probably still be riding with a backpack, so I need to be able to fit all of this in a Givi E52, backpack, and the factory sidebags. Will this be possible? What's everyones opinion on this. Will it all fit, or should I just go a different route?

Thanks, Lucas

I know, I know - ya keep packing shit in there till they don't hold no more - they hold quite a lot of shit by the way!

I will probably still be riding with a backpack, so I need to be able to fit all of this in a Givi E52, backpack, and the factory sidebags. Will this be possible? What's everyones opinion on this. Will it all fit, or should I just go a different route?
Maybe I am missing something, but from what you need, it doesn't sound like it is necessary for all your gear to be inside hard luggage all the time. If you are just moving between locations you could also use a large outdoor or duffle bag and bungie it across the rear seat -- which is what I do when I take the FJR on a camping trip.

I will probably still be riding with a backpack, so I need to be able to fit all of this in a Givi E52, backpack, and the factory sidebags. Will this be possible? What's everyones opinion on this. Will it all fit, or should I just go a different route?
Maybe I am missing something, but from what you need, it doesn't sound like it is necessary for all your gear to be inside hard luggage all the time. If you are just moving between locations you could also use a large outdoor or duffle bag and bungie it across the rear seat -- which is what I do when I take the FJR on a camping trip.
That's another idea I was also thinking about. Just wondering if it was raining, would I be able to make it all fit.

Lucas

Plenty of room left over for ice:

IMG_3906.jpg

To answer a few of the questions, I'm still other and considering. I'm riding an R6 right now, but will hopefully be getting an FJR in the short future. I can't really find any good deals on a used one around Austin, so I might be going new. I already plan on getting a Givi E52 for the back. The reason I'm inquiring about the side bags is that when I went and looked at the bikes the other day, the side bags just didn't look all that big. I'm a firefighter, and sometimes we have to travel to another station in the middle of our shift. So the plan is to have a bike with enough storage to put my turnouts (trousers, jacket, boots, helmet, gloves) in or on, my bedding (twin sheet set, small blanket, and pillow), and some food for the shift. I will probably still be riding with a backpack, so I need to be able to fit all of this in a Givi E52, backpack, and the factory sidebags. Will this be possible? What's everyones opinion on this. Will it all fit, or should I just go a different route?
Thanks, Lucas
I have a JC Whitney top box and although I haven't tried it, I bet you can get your turnout boots, coat and pants in the top box. Helmet will probably go in a side bag with bedding etc in another. All else fails, get a red bag and bungy it onto the pax seat.

Cheers,

Thanks, Lucas
I have a JC Whitney top box and although I haven't tried it, I bet you can get your turnout boots, coat and pants in the top box. Helmet will probably go in a side bag with bedding etc in another. All else fails, get a red bag and bungy it onto the pax seat.

Cheers,
That's exactly what I was thinking. I have a red bag, and I could bungy all my gear to the back seat. However, if it's raining, I don't want my gear to get soaking wet.

Lucas

Let's go for practical: One medium full face helmet and a pair of gloves. YMMV
Huh?
The capacity of one side bag.
Thanks, gotcha.

Lucas

Latest posts