Does Riding Make You a Better Driver

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I "identify" things better now in a cage because of the head on a swivel and scanning "mechanisms" we adopt when we ride. I seldom "cell blab" in my cage, but I would find myself getting awareness lazy, which I cannot afford to ever allow myself to be on my bike. So I'm hoping the correct riding traits we exhibit have made me a better cager.

And one more thing, to 'encourage' cagers to become drivers (or at least 'reward' them for not center-punching me at a left turn intersection) - everytime I roll through an intersection where a left turn cager is waiting, as I proceed through I give them a visible hand wave; my way of saying thanks for seeing me to the extent you waited before I cleared before you made that left turn.

And one more thing, to 'encourage' cagers to become drivers (or at least 'reward' them for not center-punching me at a left turn intersection) - everytime I roll through an intersection where a left turn cager is waiting, as I proceed through I give them a visible hand wave; my way of saying thanks for seeing me to the extent you waited before I cleared before you made that left turn.
That's a good idea. Make sure all fingers are up when you wave, I'd guess. :D

That's a good idea. Make sure all fingers are up when you wave, I'd guess. :D
Yeah....I save the one finger wave for the ones who cut just in front of me.......

When I'm driving my cage and things start to get dicey and I want to get out of the way I find myself twisting my right hand but nothing happens. :eek:

;)

I went to a defensive driving / skid recovery class at the Sheriff's driving range and the instructors went on about this very thing. They said that riding a motorcycle is absoultely one of the best things anybody can do to improve their driving skills in general. Unless one has ones head completely up ones ass of course.

I have to say yes also.
As a truck driver, I can say that i have seen just about anything that can be thrown at me, And it makes me VERY defensive in the truck AND that same alertness transfers over to the bike.

It's kinda weird for me, When i am working, I am pushing 70 feet down the road with multiple blindspots and everyone with the kamakazi attitude driving. On the bike, The same people so their crazy driving with the exception that they DONT see me. <_<

So both driving and riding together helps me be better driver all around. :)

Adam
Me, too! The combination has caused me to be much more aware of traffic and to expect the unexpected. On the bike I am seriously (frighteningly?) more aware of my vulnerability. Thus my "inner radar" is on tilt and avoidance positioning is on alert.
As another truck driver I can verify that driving professionally and completing numerous "Smith" system classes makes one a much better driver. Just the 1st key, "Aim high in steering." means a great deal in defensive driving....at any speed. The fact that in our equipment one can not take one's eyes from the roadway for more than a few seconds without the equipment heading for the ditch or worse means, we must be constantly scanning the mirrors and be on the alert always. Since it takes so much more time/distance to do anything in a set of doubles/triples weighing 80000 or more lbs one must be aware of all that is going on around one and driving 15 seconds ahead of the vehicle at all times. The good part is not much will hurt you in a crash if you stay on the highway. It also makes one keenly aware of how "exposed" and vulnerable one is in a car...not to mention a motorcycle...We get to see effects of all kinds of wrecks... Just one of the perks of driving 10-11 hours a day in a Metro environment. I saw 2 really great wrecks this week alone. Wow! :blink:

I'm really looking forward to moving back to the mountains of Idaho someday where life is a little more relaxed!! :yahoo:

LC

P.S. When I stop worrying about everyone trying to kill me on the M/C, I know it will be time to take a "refresher" class!! :dribble:

Yes. Biggest factors for me:

1 - On a bike you learn to read the traffic way ahead of where you are.

2 - You know that any contact can hurt, so I allow far more 'survival space' around me. This doesn't change from car to bike.