Drive shaft service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennerk

Reaction score
I had a new set of skins put on the bike today (the OEM Metzler were about gone at 6K). While the sevice department had the wheels off the bike I asked that the drive shaft be pulled and checked. I was told that it wasn't necessary but I said as long as I was paying for the labor, to humor me. Well the splines were dry as a bone :angry: with no indication that petroleum products had EVER been applied during assembly. The only upside was that there was no rust evident on the splines. I feel better and it was only a 1/2 hr of la

This is a constant problem with all yamaha bikes :dribble: - and it is recommened that all bikes have this done at least by the 600 mile service.

I had a new set of skins put on the bike today (the OEM Metzler were about gone at 6K). While the sevice department had the wheels off the bike I asked that the drive shaft be pulled and checked. I was told that it wasn't necessary but I said as long as I was paying for the labor, to humor me. Well the splines were dry as a bone :angry: with no indication that petroleum products had EVER been applied during assembly. The only upside was that there was no rust evident on the splines. I feel better and it was only a 1/2 hr of la
What exactly is the grease supposed to do in the drive spline? Prevent rust?

I had my driveshaft pulled at the 600 mile service: while not bone dry it had not been adequately lubed either. What is this? Yamaha bean counters saving a penny on grease per bike???! My splines at both ends are now properly lubed with Honda Moly: not only will it not rust but more importantly excess wear will not occur and prematurely cause replacement of the driveshaft and associated parts ( lotsa $$$ to do that....). Beemers are well known for rapid driveshaft wear and it will cause associated damages that on an ol airhead will cost @ $1300-$1500 to fix, versus a few cents worth of good grease and a half hour or so of labor. Hhmmm, what should I do???! DFO :blink: :p

I had my driveshaft pulled at the 600 mile service: while not bone dry it had not been adequately lubed either. What is this? Yamaha bean counters saving a penny on grease per bike???! My splines at both ends are now properly lubed with Honda Moly: not only will it not rust but more importantly excess wear will not occur and prematurely cause replacement of the driveshaft and associated parts ( lotsa $$$ to do that....). Beemers are well known for rapid driveshaft wear and it will cause associated damages that on an ol airhead will cost @ $1300-$1500 to fix, versus a few cents worth of good grease and a half hour or so of labor. Hhmmm, what should I do???! DFO :blink: :p
Sorry, as a nOOb here I don't know where the bikes are assembled. However, for the Kaws built in Taiwan, this is a common problem. So much so I'm convinced there is some kind of blockade around the island preventing grease from being delivered there.

Old moly paste looks a lot different than bare metal.

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/maint/spline/spline.html

spline-6k.jpg

While the sevice department had the wheels off the bike I asked that the drive shaft be pulled and checked. I was told that it wasn't necessary
So what did all the mister smarty-pants types have to say after seeing your splines?

Did you ask them if they would like any other additional training?

:lol:

I'm taking my 06 in tonight for it's 600 mile service and I'm already fustrated. Because of the info coming out on this and other sites about the lack of lube, my local dealership has already taken apart 2 FJRs. But they were both fine and now Yamaha won't reimburse them to take apart anymore. I picked my bike up with FantasticJohn and his bike did need it. So I'm thinking that I want this checked. But the dealership wants around $150 to do it. So do I cough it up now, or wait and see what happens and make Yamaha pay for it then (warranty)?

Your opinions please!

I'm taking my 06 in tonight for it's 600 mile service and I'm already fustrated. Because of the info coming out on this and other sites about the lack of lube, my local dealership has already taken apart 2 FJRs. But they were both fine and now Yamaha won't reimburse them to take apart anymore. I picked my bike up with FantasticJohn and his bike did need it. So I'm thinking that I want this checked. But the dealership wants around $150 to do it. So do I cough it up now, or wait and see what happens and make Yamaha pay for it then (warranty)?
Your opinions please!

Depends on your level of comfort.

Me? I would wait until your first tire change. Once the rear wheel is off, it's a 15-20 minute job and should not cost much to have done. Ideally, you should do it yourself, as it's really not that difficult. But, if you are really worried, and you got $150 burning a hole in your purse :p , go for it.

Your opinions please!
Leave it alone and follow the book's maintenance schedule.
Lube the splines well when you change your rear tire. That isn't going to last very long anyway and it'll add bubkes to the cost of tire replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I waited untl the tire was coming off and the shop charged me for 1/2 hr of labor ($35). The funny thing was when they (the shop mechanics) said "It's a good thing we (the shop mechanics) did it". It was rather funny that I suggested that it be done and I paid to have it done but they (the shop mechanics) thought it was a good idea after the fact.

Your opinions please!
reimbursed by yamaha? it's a service item. do it yourself or pay them to do it. just do it. i don't think anyone has been reimbursed for spline services yet. no one has posted so for as far back as i can remember. but, yeah, i waited for my first tire change at 6k miles.

Your opinions please!
reimbursed by yamaha? it's a service item. do it yourself or pay them to do it. just do it. i don't think anyone has been reimbursed for spline services yet. no one has posted so for as far back as i can remember. but, yeah, i waited for my first tire change at 6k miles.
No, I was referring to Yamaha paying for the parts to be replaced later down the road because they are all shot to hell. Seems like a pre-emptive check up front would be cheaper but simple logic seems to defy most large corporations.

Thanks for the help guys!!