Drive Splines

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamatour

Reaction score
Had my 06AE (29000miles)in for service last week. New tires(BT-023) and the ususal service at 28K. Asked the service manager to lub the drive splines, his comment, "we always do the splines at the wheel, there haven't been any problems with the other ends".

So, OK, just humor me and pull the 4 bolts and check the other dry end, please...ok, 1/2hr shop time.

Picked it up the next day....suprise "they were dry and it is a good idea to lube them up". Bought this machine with 26K, always serviced at this shop. Going to do the Valve check next time, according to the history, it has not been done. Will report back with that at 32k.

Previous discussion with pictures. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=138937

Get Moly 60 and do driveshaft, U-joint and rear final drive splines. While you're at it, go for lubing all the suspension pivot points as well (don't need moly there). Do not neglect this part of your bike.
+1 Yep, I consider it cheap insurance. I do mine ever 25-30,000 miles. Like Carver said, it's easy so why not? I'm an ex-BMW owner and let one of my drive shafts go without greasing once and paid the price ($$$) so I'm probably overly paranoid. But it won't hurt.

Scooter will probably be along here shortly and tell us how he has 1,000,000,000,000,000, miles on his and has never touched the splines

YMMV

I'm not SkooterG, but I can do a pretty mean impression of him.

I did my splines a while back on my 04, complete waste of time and good lube that can be put to better use elsewhere.

Mine had never been done, ever so light surface rust on the splines. Absolutely no wear marks on them either. The rust was so light that I could nearly blow it off. This is a high stess area rotationally speaking, not in lengthwise plane though. I don't believe the suspension moves enough here to make any difference whatsoever to the presence of loob.

Course, doesn't hurt anything either. But I don't believe anybody ever had a failure of any sort from not loobing those splines.

Bungie doing his SkooterG impression.....

19-05-01%5B1%5D.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
2000 miles on my '10 when I changed out the 021 junk tire. It looked a lot better going in with Moly 60 on it.

spline.jpg

Surprising amount of rust on a 2000 mile '10 bike. It was sanded clean and a thin coat of plain old bearing greased was used as protection.

rust%20never%20sleeps.jpg

For what it takes to do in a rear tire change, it is wise to at least have a look.

Did my 08' while finally switching over to the metzlers. They had a very tiny bit of factory grease on it, but cleaned and greased and felt much better about having done it. 1/2 he to remove 4 bolts????

I check mine every time I put new tires on. I'll have to disagree on not doing it. I had a 83 Venture I bought new and never serviced the splines. At around 80,000 miles the splines gave out. This was before I became one with world of Yamaha shaft drives. The dealer screwed me by telling me I needed a whole new rear end to the tune of $900+. I know now that the only thing that was probably screwed up was the shaft and/or the shaft coupling on the front of the rear end. I've seen shafts pulled out of old Ventures with quite a few miles on them and was surprised by the wear I saw. Still, this is a personal preference on lubing the splines, but it's one of the easier things to service on the FJR in my opinion. Why not?

GP