Dropped It Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for all the info . i had zero on the bike in case of a spill or drop . and the reason i droped it. plan and simple i was not not paying attention to the countor of the shall i say dirt / black top surface . the road surface on the left side of the bike was at least 5 inches lower (dirt and gravel mixed)then the right side (black top) of the bike .

John Breyer had a low side about 15 mph. Moko's saved him big time. They work on flat pavement. On uneven ground probably not as effective. TJ

Espia4ci -

I got the Moko's (now Moto's) from Wild Hair. You don't have to drill a hole in the fairing with the Moto's, whereas you do with the R&G sliders, but they're probably better positioned in case of a drop. You may find them cheaper, but here's a link to their site.

clicky here

it was indeed the dreaded low/no speed sqeeze the front brake with the wheel turned
I am not trying to tell you how to suck eggs, but,

to alleviate that, I always, always, when at very slow speeds, leave the front brake alone. It is habit for me to drag or apply the rear brake only in parking lots, slow traffic etc.

The hardest part of riding is riding slow. I usually practice every now and then doing slow figure eights or riding very slow. Looking ahead of where you are going instead of down, does wonders as well

I always see funny techniques on bikes in slow traffic. The funniest is when I see someone following heavy slow traffic and they ride blocks with both feet dragging along the ground or something like that. That just shows inexperience or underconfidence. I love those "slow as possible" drag races at bike meets. Practice makes perfect. :D

Anyway, everybody makes mistakes and it sucks when we goof.

I learned the 'don't apply the front brake in a walking speed turn' while doing it into 3" of gravel. My bike hit the ground before I could say 'ouch!'

By the way, this incident was a great ad for helmet use. The rapidly falling bike acted with the infamous gravity to whip my helmet clad head into the ground. Hard! All the neck strengthening workouts in the gym were of no help, it was all so quick. My favorite helmet was toast :eek: but I'm still beautiful ;)

Ron

My daughter is just learning this summer and has been riding my '83 Maxim. She learned the 'don't squeeze the fron brake with the wheel turned' lesson over the weekend. She was going down a steep gravel drive with lots of loose stone and just before the drive made a sharp right turn the idiot in front of her stopped. (That was me.... sorry! stupid mistake on my part but I had a kid walk out in front of me.) Anyway, she toppled over and ended up in a ditch. She limped for a copuple of days but got back on the bike for the ride home Sunday afternoon. Fortunately, she has not lost any of her desire to ride.....

Been a very busy Mighty Mouse today! Mouse has been unearthing a lot of seeds from the very distant past. The last post in this thread was in July 2005!

Condolences on the drop - hope your wife's shoulder is better soon.
That's mean...bringing up a dropped bike from SIX years ago...just plain mean. :)

And dadgummit, her shoulder better be okay by now or zorkler's been living in a small corner of hell.

Been a very busy Mighty Mouse today! Mouse has been unearthing a lot of seeds from the very distant past. The last post in this thread was in July 2005!
I'm thinking that people in Manitoba are either far sighted and can't see the screen, or live in a parallel universe SIX YEARS BEHIND. Hey mighty mouse, I betcha the Boston Red Sox win the World Series soon...I jes betcha! :clapping:

;)

Lets do the time warp again......
Since this is a revived drop thread, if we can warp back to November of last year, I will not topple over with mine :huh:

Luckily no sliding involved. I was trying to back it up, right foot slipped on some gravel, and the short time my right leg was up in the air was enough that it got too far over for me to hold up. Thanks to the slider, there's a couple nicks in the paint on the edge of the mirror and the right bag, a little scuff on the right slider, but it's hardly noticeable. Hope I didn't use up all my luck.

Hey, Mighty Mouse, dig back just a tiny bit more and welcome guys like ScooterG, MadMike2 and Warchild to the forum on their mandatory introduction posts. :lol:

Zorkler, seriously, how's the wife's shoulder coming along?

Last edited by a moderator:
while pulling out of a small lot near an open feild in bear mountian (n.y ). I was not paying attetion to the contour of the ground which was half blacktop half gravel which also was on a incline boom down we go myself a large 208 pounder and my bride all 193lbs. her arm was scraped and her shoulder is in pain i am ok a small nick on my ankle . now to the 05 need to no how much is the damage is in dollars . left engine cover (yamaha) , left mirror , left bag , the left fairing upper and lower plus blinker cover, clutch lever . thanks mike
That truly sux.

Ouch! Hope it all works out.
It may eventually...it's only been SIX years. Let's not rush things.

while pulling out of a small lot near an open feild in bear mountian (n.y ). I was not paying attetion to the contour of the ground which was half blacktop half gravel which also was on a incline boom down we go myself a large 208 pounder and my bride all 193lbs. her arm was scraped and her shoulder is in pain i am ok a small nick on my ankle . now to the 05 need to no how much is the damage is in dollars . left engine cover (yamaha) , left mirror , left bag , the left fairing upper and lower plus blinker cover, clutch lever . thanks mike
That truly sux.
Yeah, it's a memory that just keeps on giving.

Last edited by a moderator: