dropped my new fjr!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gnirtsnod, I think the damage is worse because my other motorcycle helped to slow the fjrs' fall.

With the FJR it is not "If you are going to drop the bike?" Rather it is "When am I going to drop the bike again?"

FZ1 mirrors both help you see and prevent mirror stay damage (mirror stay is that expensive, troublesome to replace, POS Pot Metal part you, and many of us, have broken.

Well that sucks but it happens. Just so you don't feel like you're the only one.

Dropped mine st a stop sign today. Stuck my foot in a pothole,by the time I regained my balanced she was to far gone to save.

Cute girl helped me pick it up.

In my experience the side stand can tend to drag its rubber tip a bit while wheeling the bike around so when you lean the bike down the side stand is over center the wrong way and gives way. I always give it a kick fwd nowadays and never trust the bugger. By the way I always park it IN GEAR.
"In my experience the side stand can tend to drag its rubber tip a bit". There is no rubber tip on my side stand. Do you have one on your FJR?

+1 on your comments. Knock on wood I have never dropped any of my three FJR's but I did drop a Yamaha Virago twice and a BMW twice. After those mishaps I learned to make damn sure the side stand was fully engaged, bike in 1st gear, and pushed against compression. Also, it is smart to never park in down hill position if possible.

In my experience the side stand can tend to drag its rubber tip a bit while wheeling the bike around so when you lean the bike down the side stand is over center the wrong way and gives way. I always give it a kick fwd nowadays and never trust the bugger. By the way I always park it IN GEAR.
"In my experience the side stand can tend to drag its rubber tip a bit". There is no rubber tip on my side stand. Do you have one on your FJR?

+1 on your comments. Knock on wood I have never dropped any of my three FJR's but I did drop a Yamaha Virago twice and a BMW twice. After those mishaps I learned to make damn sure the side stand was fully engaged, bike in 1st gear, and pushed against compression. Also, it is smart to never park in down hill position if possible.
Went and looked for the rubber tip and it has none, must have been one of my other, older, bikes-tactic still stands though. Hope things work out.

Thanks for the replies everyone, just want to ride it that much more when it gets sorted out. Uncle Hud I think I posted twice because I was not sure if it posted, never done that before either.

bigjohnsd, Why do the fz mirrors help. Fold in? Any year? Might have to loot at getting those. I think I see it, they bend where the mirror meets the arm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that sucks but it happens. Just so you don't feel like you're the only one.Dropped mine st a stop sign today. Stuck my foot in a pothole,by the time I regained my balanced she was to far gone to save.

Cute girl helped me pick it up.
When I dropped mine there were no cute girls just you. I'm glad you were there to help and it's still Mark's fault it went over.

Very sorry to hear that.

Harley has jiffy stands that lock...... Yamaha unfortunately does not.

Like a few of these gents here, I shut the bike off in gear.

I actually just put the kickstand down and the safety switch shuts it off.

Then I let the clutch out and roll the bike forward until it stops against compression,

I then make sure the stand is all the way forward, then I lean her over.

Once that's done, she really can't go anywhere.

It even protects against the wind, drunk girls and kids from knocking it over while climbing on it

while "taking selfies."

All three of my bikes have been Yamaha's and I park them all the same, like a bad habit.

The other way people drop a bike is to apply the front brake before "squaring the bars".

(I taught MSS school for bit. LOL)

At just a few miles an hour, even walking speed or walking the bike, if the front wheel is turned and you grab

a big handful of front brake, the bike will go down immediately.

That heavy high bike with a shallow rake accentuates it.

God bless you man, that's a hard hit to take.

Once you get her fixed up, you'll enjoy a long relationship with her and it will never happen again.

It's happened to all of us or if it hasn't it will. I am sure that's little consolation right now. I missed a turn in Northern Kentucky near Rabbit Hash a couple of years ago and turned into a gravel driveway to turn around. Unbeknownst to me said driveway had just recently been redone and was quite deep. I lost control of the front wheel and me,the wife and the bike all went down on our left sides. THAT was an expensive and embarrassing mistake as I could have taken the road around and got where I wanted to go without the drama.

Sorry to hear of your mishap. You just joined a large group. You spend so much energy trying to keep your bike looking good and then when something happens it just breaks your heart. But now you have a "real" bike!

I dropped mine on the right side accelerating up a hill while making a right turn. My hand slipped on the throttle and I stalled in mid lean. I was so mad. But 2 days later I dropped it on the left side while pulling out of a parking spot. Do you know how far you can go with a disc lock on the front brake disc? I do. I was so pissed at myself (I was going to be the guy that never forgot to take it off) that I stopped using the lock. There. I showed 'em!

In the wise words of a rather new disney princess, let it go.

Some people only drop crappy bikes. You are cool enough to have a great one to drop. Nice that it's Yamaha brother could try and help break the fall, I think...

Ride on!

"There are those who will"....."Those who have"........"and Those of us who will Again!". I'm not so sure I should be proud of having full membership in the "I Dropped My Bike Club", but over that past 55 years I have dropped or low sided plenty! From dirt bikes, to sport bikes, to sport-tourers.

Some bikes I never dropped and others I dropped multiple times. On the current 07 FJR it was at 5 mph, got hung up with a curb. I was having one of those easy 'stupid' moments! I finally run out of strength and had to let her down. Just enough forward motion that the mirror folded in. It went down on the OES slider and then the MCL highway peg (peg was folded up) mount hinge. Other than the slider and highway peg mount hinge, the plastic just below the rider peg got a scrap. The ding in the mirror is hardly noticeable.

Sorry to hear both your bikes took a hit, but as others have already pointed out, it will not be too many miles in the future it will just be a distance memory with lots of fun riding, and we all learn as we go along.

Best Regards......George

The FJR has a poorly designed kick stand. No detent to help ensure it doesn't move when you put it down. Doesn't go very far forward, so not much room for error. If you look at the mount I think one could grind the stop back a bit to make it go farther forward. If you are on a 2 degree or greater downhill slope leave it in gear. Always put your foot on the ground right behind (to the rear) of the kick stand and pull back on the bike to make sure the stand is at its farthest forward position. Watch out for turning the front wheel to lock the fork when resting on the center stand.

rhun posted: The FJR has a poorly designed kick stand. No detent to help ensure it doesn't move when you put it down. Doesn't go very far forward, so not much room for error. If you look at the mount I think one could grind the stop back a bit to make it go farther forward. If you are on a 2 degree or greater downhill slope leave it in gear.
I totally disagree. The FJR's kickstand is just fine. If the rider pays attention and ensures it goes down all the way, then everything is just fine.

Your post sounds similar to this: "My car has a poorly designed reverse gear. Occasionally it backs into things."

I dropped mine for the first and hopefully last time a few weeks ago. Of course, its was right before a trip. I was able to get the parts changed out before I left but it was touch and go. I replaced the left lower cowl, mirror and the side visor vent thing. I got a little rash on the left muffler but I'll live with that as a reminder. The hardest part was removing all the foam from the old cowl and gluing it on to the new cowl. I missed the fact that they are not included with the cowl and I didn't have time to order them. I used emblem glue that I got from an automotive paint store. It's like double sided tape but when you peel both sides off, it leaves the adhesive on whatever your gluing. Damn expensive stuff but it worked really well. All in cost me about $500.

The FJR's kickstand is just fine. If the rider pays attention and ensures it goes down all the way, then everything is just fine.
I agree, it's fine. Also, I always leave it in gear regardless of the surface slope angle. In the past with other bikes (not FJR's), I had two go down after I stepped away. One the sidestand folded up, not in gear, it was my fault! The other, the sidestand sunk into the hot pavement, again my fault!

I'd like to offer 3 more ways one can drop his FJR.

(DAMHIK)

1. He can put the side stand fully down over dirt gravel that he thinks is stiff enough to support the weight of the bike. Then after he gets off the bike and walks about 10 feet away, the soft dirt/gravel gives way and down she goes.

2. He can put both of his feet down while the bike is in neutral. Then he can remove his hands from the bars to take some photographs. And while he is looking through the view finder of his camera, he can become just a little bit disoriented, which causes his balance to shift and the bike to go oopsie...

3. He can attempt to make a U-turn on a 2 lane highway that is going uphill. Then when he is 1/2 way through the turn, he can forget about the slope, causing the bike to become imbalanced and go oopsie....

(Dumb ass Pants)

At least for #1, I got myself a sidestand pad...

https://www.amazon.com/KiWAV-motorcycle-motorcross-kickstand-universal/dp/B00CPGQ2DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493330353&sr=8-1&keywords=side+stand+puck

rhun posted: The FJR has a poorly designed kick stand. No detent to help ensure it doesn't move when you put it down. Doesn't go very far forward, so not much room for error. If you look at the mount I think one could grind the stop back a bit to make it go farther forward. If you are on a 2 degree or greater downhill slope leave it in gear.
I totally disagree. The FJR's kickstand is just fine. If the rider pays attention and ensures it goes down all the way, then everything is just fine.

Your post sounds similar to this: "My car has a poorly designed reverse gear. Occasionally it backs into things."
I agree with rhun the side stand could use a detent. With my bike on the center stand I can pull the side stand up from fully deployed with a slight tug using only my little finger. A detent would help. Not criticizing Yamaha just making a minor product improvement suggestion.

I'd like to offer 3 more ways one can drop his FJR.
(DAMHIK)

1. He can put the side stand fully down over dirt gravel that he thinks is stiff enough to support the weight of the bike. Then after he gets off the bike and walks about 10 feet away, the soft dirt/gravel gives way and down she goes.

2. He can put both of his feet down while the bike is in neutral. Then he can remove his hands from the bars to take some photographs. And while he is looking through the view finder of his camera, he can become just a little bit disoriented, which causes his balance to shift and the bike to go oopsie...

3. He can attempt to make a U-turn on a 2 lane highway that is going uphill. Then when he is 1/2 way through the turn, he can forget about the slope, causing the bike to become imbalanced and go oopsie....

(Dumb ass Pants)

At least for #1, I got myself a sidestand pad...

https://www.amazon.com/KiWAV-motorcycle-motorcross-kickstand-universal/dp/B00CPGQ2DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493330353&sr=8-1&keywords=side+stand+puck
I've done all of those -- not necessarily on the FJR, but at some point, all of them.

I'd like to add a number 4.

4. One can park his bike on what appears to be perfectly level ground, in neutral, engine running, only to have it walk off the stand when his back is turned.

Oh, and for what it's worth. A sidestand pad doesn't have to be fancy. A buddy carried a crushed 7-up can around for years, and it worked fine 'til he left it somewhere. He had to get a new can. I used to use a 3.5" floppy disk. But I've got a pad like the one you linked to at Amazon, and they are excellent.

Insurance quote from the local Yamaha shop is 2 grand, includes 6.25hrs shop time. Now waiting for insurance to pay or not. I did buy a foot pad for the kickstand a metal one you bolt on, it was only 16 bucks on amazon so if it does not work out it is no big deal. Motovation frame sliders arrived and are waiting to be put on. This winter will hopefully put on canyon cages. Right now I think the wife is getting a little tired of my bike escapades.