Dropping Fjr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evadlink

Reaction score
Iam a Newbie here. I have read about 40 pages of posts educating myself to the nuances of owning the Fjr. Iam struck by how many posts I see about people dropping it. Is there something about the fjr that makes it more prone to this "rider screw up"? I am registered in 2 other forums-- Vtx, and Sportsters--- Very rare to see this kind of Drop post in either of these. Ive dropped all of my bikes once.-- stop dropped. - All my fault of course. Anyway, is the higher center of gravity, which is perhaps less forgiving?

Whatever Iam definitly getting my own Fjr - 06 1300A -- This bike ROCKS!

Iam a Newbie here. I have read about 40 pages of posts educating myself to the nuances of owning the Fjr. Iam struck by how many posts I see about people dropping it. Is there something about the fjr that makes it more prone to this "rider screw up"? I am registered in 2 other forums-- Vtx, and Sportsters--- Very rare to see this kind of Drop post in either of these. Ive dropped all of my bikes once.-- stop dropped. - All my fault of course. Anyway, is the higher center of gravity, which is perhaps less forgiving? Whatever Iam definitly getting my own Fjr - 06 1300A -- This bike ROCKS!

Pilot error mate, nothing to do with the properties of the bike.

I don't believe the FJR is "prone" to dropping. Rather, all bikes have equal chances of being dropped and for a variety of different reasons that all can probably be traced to the fault of the rider. If there is a #1 reason, however, my guess would be that it would be a rider's inability to flat-foot and gain better leverage.

[Note: this message is not intended to fault the vertically-challenged in any way whatsoever. They have their own special abilities too! :p ]

Last edited by a moderator:
evadlink....I have noticed that too except, I got the impression that a fair number of incidents involved the AE model. Apparently, slow speed maneuvers, u turns etc. can be difficult owing to the clutch lever being missing....difficult to feather the clutch and maintain perfect control. :ph34r:

Gunny!

Bottom line is rider error, but it's higher center gravity than say a sportster does make it easier to drop once it gets going.

In other words what ever angle it is that is the point of no return is shorter than a lower slung cruiser.

We also ride more so there's more opportunity.

Lastly, I think *most* sportster riders would never admit they dropped it even if they did.

Lastly, I think *most* sportster riders would never admit they dropped it even if they did.
My thoughts exactly. Most folks on this forum are not posers and are quite open with their experiences and ride more than the average of 1500 miles a year that the other cyclist ride.

This is what makes this forum so wonderful.

I agree with almost everyting ppl said in this thread.

In addition i would say there is a direct relationship between seat height, center of gravity, weight and drops. you have to be more careful with heaver/taller bikes because the margin of error is smaller.

Is there something about the fjr that makes it more prone to this "rider screw up"?
It's the rider, not the bike. Three words:

FAT

OLD

DUMB

To put not too fine a point on it..... :yahoo: :clapping:
You're missing the point here. The reason that you read more about FJR's being dropped than other bikes is the simple fact that forum members are humble, honest folks who are willing to admit that they were powerless.....wait - wrong speech.

Jill

My thoughts exactly. Most folks on this forum are not posers and are quite open with their experiences and ride more than the average of 1500 miles a year that the other cyclist ride.

1500 miles.....that just sounds like a good weekend. :D :D :D

This bike has a much higher center of gravity compared to cruiser bikes. Makes a big difference in the prone to tip over factor.

1500 miles.....that just sounds like a good weekend. :D :D :D
Are you kidding? 1500 sounds like a good day ride to me. ;)

Dropped the bike twice so far. Once in the Advanced MSF course trying different ways to do the S box....only to come back and ace the final test. And the other because an evil leprachaun put my sidestand back up as I was gassing the thing. I look at the scratches on my alternator cover and side case as a reminder that I'm not immune to mistakes.

I agree with almost everyting ppl said in this thread.In addition i would say there is a direct relationship between seat height, center of gravity, weight and drops. you have to be more careful with heaver/taller bikes because the margin of error is smaller.

+2.

I say +2 instead of +1 because my friend and I have had this conversation before and I know he'd say the same here if he were on this forum. Neither of us can flatfoot our FJRs so it requires our UNDEVIDED attention at a walking pace. With the weight and relatively high center of mass, if it starts to go over, you better be one strong Mo' Fo' to save it. Let's just say my calves have grown immensely since owning the FJR. It would be much less of an issue for a taller person who could get both feet down flat.

I read all the posts before buying my FJR and had the same concern, in fact, i was scared to put it on the centrestand because of everything i had read. The bottom line is that it is heavier to handle when 'pushing' it around your garage, but besides this, it is only going to fall over if you make a mistake!

Dropping Fjr, Is Fjr more prone to this?
Not according to Fred.
Actually Fred say:

Last night my bike fell over after I put it on the sidestand...This is the second time the sidestand has tried to collapse on me, and though I am aware of the problem and try to make sure it is always positively locked forward, it still seems to happen sometimes....I believe I found the problem.
It was an unfortunate thing that Fred used the word problem. If he had perhaps said I found a way to improve, or said for those that have an issue this should work... But alas, he said problem, leading to one of the most massive dog piles the collective has ever perpetrated, a classic for the ages. In spite of it all, there is a good market for TOGs/sliders and a large number of requests on how to repair tip over damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit - I trolled through page after page of "FJR drop" post when I was considering buying my 2007 FJR. It really worried me - I came over from "cruiser land" and had been a member of forums where "drops" didn't seem to be such a prominent topic.

I sold my '03 Vulcan 1600 Classic - a low slung cruiser - that weighs 110 pounds more than the FJR. I think it's a matter of perspective - I find the FJR easier to wheel around because of the reduced weight that I was used to - but I do notice the higher center of gravity. I always keep the FJR on it's center stand when garaged - and am accutely aware of where and at what angle she's parked at when I'm out and about and always double check to make sure she's steady and secure as possible.

What ultimately helps me though is my 35" inseem so I can flat foor the FJR - I can see where not having that ability could result in drops in parking lot manuevers and moving it around the gargae/driveway. With the weight of the FJR and it's higher center of gravity I would imagine that once it starts to tip that it's hard to stop - especially if you can't flat foot it.

Just my observations after 2,000 miles and 2 months of ownership