Dunlop Roadsmart raised area on front tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice post FredW, and a good read on the link. That author does differ slightly in his opinion on road crown being a contributing factor to left side wear, but the general gist is the same.

Rider habits and riding style impact tire wear. Who knew? ;)

Wish the snow would melt so I can go for a ride.

If I grasp your opinion here, that 'rib' or area of unworn tire can be scrubbed off by some changes in rider lean angles. And it might never occur if you vary your lean angles significantly over the life of the tire. Hmmm. So a more constant mix of different roads, with differing levels of aggression or 'style' might actually increase and prolong even tire wear. :dirol:

It must be a pretty difficult job to design a tire's internal belt system so that it creates the patch that we need and balance in all of the possible riding types given motorcycle weight/loading/speed and different types of riding styles. Especially considering the size of a motorcycles contact patch. I am only guessing here but if we were to run a smooth "race type" tire of the same belting specs as the Road smart or BT 021 front we would prolly see this raised center factor that in my opinion is a case of them needing to stiften the center belting near the ridge so as to help it support it's off center areas better. There are alot of bike specific tires out there and the weight of the FJR is entitled to one. And the tire company's can invest the time can come up with an excellent product..... We just have to keep BITCHIN'

Merry Chrirtmas

-Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's not a tire problem at all, I don't know. I replaced the stock bridgestone with a Strada and after a couple thousand km's it has worn the same as the original.
Yes, my stock bridgestones were shot by the time I got back from Cape Breton. I'm just going to stay away from compound tires period.

Maybe it's not a tire problem at all, I don't know. I replaced the stock bridgestone with a Strada and after a couple thousand km's it has worn the same as the original.
Yes, my stock bridgestones were shot by the time I got back from Cape Breton. I'm just going to stay away from compound tires period.
The Bridgestone front's are not 2 compound tires and the rear 021's perform reasonably well,.....As mentioned above, tire manufacturers need to take notice of what the FJR does to front rubber and adjust the inner structure accordingly.

-Don

If I grasp your opinion here, that 'rib' or area of unworn tire can be scrubbed off by some changes in rider lean angles. And it might never occur if you vary your lean angles significantly over the life of the tire. Hmmm. So a more constant mix of different roads, with differing levels of aggression or 'style' might actually increase and prolong even tire wear. :dirol:
Yes, a mix of lean angles would help reduce the "ribs". Lots of folks have noticed that riding "sweepers" can knock those corner off their tires. But remember that the lateral force applied to the tread on a turn with, let's say, 10 degrees of lean would be much smaller than the force at 20 degrees. So you'd have to spend much more time running those shallow lean angle turns to get wear equal to the scrubbing that happens at the more severe angles. At least that's my understanding...

Yes, a mix of lean angles would help reduce the "ribs". Lots of folks have noticed that riding "sweepers" can knock those corner off their tires. But remember that the lateral force applied to the tread on a turn with, let's say, 10 degrees of lean would be much smaller than the force at 20 degrees. So you'd have to spend much more time running those shallow lean angle turns to get wear equal to the scrubbing that happens at the more severe angles. At least that's my understanding...
If the rib develops on my RoadSmart, I'll consider that an appropriate challenge. Thanks for the info. ^_^

I have ridden through three sets of Road Smarts and have center ridged all three. It seems the fronts are just this way. I have yet to rival the mileage on the rear and so this is why I keep using them. I also have become very confident with them in the rain. They especially proved themselves coming down the mountain in a downpour during a little 1000 mile ride at NAFO where I had to accelerate toward a hairpin to get pass a semi. It was one of those moments where you just pray the tires hold at that moment. I am considering trying a different front with the RS rear. PM me if you have a combo that is still working well after 3000 miles.

I went down memory lane and resurrected this relic. That was my old Feej, went to Michelin PR2's, haven't looked back.

My new to me Feej (Since spring 2011) had almost brand new Roadsmart's on them. It's been about 5-6K and they are doing this again. They haven't fixed this in 3 years, probably never will. Time to whip out the other set of PR2's I bought on sale last a year or so ago and mount them up.

Plenty of tread left but that ridge is back. :angry2: <_< :dribble:

BTW - In case you're wondering, I keep my tire pressure at 41psi. ;)

I've 6700 miles on Dunlop Roadsmarts, front and rear, and will guess that they'll be good for at least another 3k to 4K. No problems at all with the front and both are wearing well. I do prefer them over the Metzlers Roadtecs that came stock.

Hopefuly, I'll remember this thread if any thing new happens with the front or rear tire.

I've 6700 miles on Dunlop Roadsmarts, front and rear, and will guess that they'll be good for at least another 3k to 4K. No problems at all with the front and both are wearing well. I do prefer them over the Metzlers Roadtecs that came stock.

Hopefuly, I'll remember this thread if any thing new happens with the front or rear tire.
I ran 4 or 5 sets of RoadSmarts and never had a problem. Most I ever got out of them was 7500 miles though. I'm trying out a set of PR3s now, but if they suck, I'll go right back to the RSs.

I ran 4 or 5 sets of RoadSmarts and never had a problem. Most I ever got out of them was 7500 miles though. I'm trying out a set of PR3s now, but if they suck, I'll go right back to the RSs.
I'll be interested in your PR3 report as I almost went with them. I chose the RSs as I've had great success with them on another, but lighter, bike.

Just dumped my second set of Dunlop Roadsmart tires, they maybe lasted 7K at best. IMO they are the biggest POS around.

You may wonder why I have a second set after this thread.... They were on the last bike I bought and brand new, I kept them until they wore out, which was soon, barely 8 months.

Special thanks to ynotride for hosting the late Saturday night tech day, after the San Diego tech day. I was there until 11pm mounting my PR2s! I then reassembled them on my bike last night, I went to bed in the early hours of this morning. :blink:

Special thanks to ynotride for hosting the late Saturday night tech day, after the San Diego tech day. I was there until 11pm mounting my PR2s! I then reassembled them on my bike last night, I went to bed in the early hours of this morning. :blink:
I was Happy to help watch you mount the tires :p Plus those POS roadsmarts make a nice tire fence in Mexico.