Dynojet Research Fine = $ 1 million

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, Tim -- thanks for that bit of research. I'll have to look at it more carefully, but it seems to say that headers and exhaust systems intended for non-CAT applications are not verbotten so long as all emissions stuff is reconnected. That would seem to save my XX's 4-2-1 system, since it is a legally registered 49 states model (in '03, only the CA Blackbirds had CATs). Like I said, I need to check more thoroughly, but hooking up a PC to it seems to have no saving provision.
The way I'm reading it, as long as you are not mucking with the cat on up, you are okay. And I believe your comment is also valid as long as you keep OEM approved (hence, CARB approved) emissions gizmos in place and functional. The cans, on the other hand, are falling under the noise regs of the EPA and local noise ordiances, not CARB and should be a separate discussion, IMO.
Yeah, that makes sense to me, too. Not to mention that it complies with my belief that the aftermarket Micron can with a 2.25 inch pass through ID just can't be acceptable. After all, it is louder than the two OEM mufflers that were undoubtedly necessary to pass the EPA noise certification requirements. And since it's probably not possible to put any single can on the end of that Micron header to meet that dBA requirement that isn't at least as bulky and aesthetically offensive as that C-14 howitzer, the header might as well be illegal. :eek:hwell:

The automobile aftermarket has dealt with this for years. That is why Edelbrock has cat back systems for on road use.
And IIRC, the states of Oregon and Washington are suing the EPA so they can legally adapt California's clean air standards. Coming to a state near you.
We don't even have emissions testing for autos here in NH. They did check exhaust gas during annual safety inspections for a short time, but only in one small geographical area around the southern tier cities of Nashua & Salem, and that only lasted around 10 years.

Now the only thing hat they do here emissions wise is to check the ECU memory for check engine codes. Only applies to 1996 or later (OBD2) cars.

Last reminder. This thread is about Dyonjet's fine. You want to talk about somebody or something else....go start another thread.

"What are the mistakes we can learn from? What's your hindsight tell you/us?"

Realize motorcyclists are a very small population and are politically easy to legislate.

Organize as motorcyclists, not trail bikers, racers, cruisers, etc.

Any legislation that can or MAY impact any motorcycle use must be contested before it gets to the point of being up for passage.

You must have a person that will keep track of any bill introduced and look for motorcycle related items.

A paid lobbyist is probably necessary along with several volunteers.

Too many Calif bike riders thought "that only impacts the Harley riders or it's only ATV's, or I never ride a two stroke."

In the end it got us all, and more regulation just keeps coming.

Longrider