Dynojet Research Fine = $ 1 million

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
Stolen from another board

link

For allowing emmision tampering

The American Motorcylist Association reports that the California Air Resources Board completed an investigation of the Power Commander ignition module produced by DynoJet Research, and found it to be in violation of the agency's emissions standards...

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) announced recently that it concluded an investigation against Dynojet Research, Inc. At issue was the company's "Power Commander" that can be used to alter the air-fuel mixture and engine timing of on- and off-road motorcycles. CARB said that the installation of these devices would adversely affect the emissions control systems of vehicles that were certified by the original equipment manufacturers to comply with the agency's emissions standards. Dynojet has now certified a California version of the "Power Commander" and has agreed to pay $1,000,000 in penalties to the California Air Pollution Control Fund.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another reason not to do business in the Republik of Kalimexifornia... :angry2:

Well, there are laws regarding dicking around with emission systems, not only as regulated by CARB, but by the EPA, as well. Why are you getting upset about a someone breaking the law getting fined?

Anyway, in 5, 4, 3, 2...

Anyway, in 5, 4, 3, 2...
It is motorcycle related....at the moment....and I vainly hope that people won't just the thread to rant, spell California with a K, refer to "they" like there's a government conspiracy to screw them, and/or have something constructive to add.......or hope that members posting in the thread actually ARE from California.

I guess we'll see. :rolleyes:

Power Commander.com now has their new Street Approved* Power Commander EX. With a CARB number displayed.

clicky.

I notice that they were never fined for selling jet kits 20 years ago. The smell of money! :glare:

It is motorcycle related....at the moment....and I vainly hope that people won't just the thread to rant, spell California with a K, refer to "they" like there's a government conspiracy to screw them, and/or have something constructive to add.......or hope that members posting in the thread actually ARE from California.
I guess we'll see. :rolleyes:
There is no way to discuss this without getting into the 'P' of the situation. Pop on over to ST.n and review the thread going on there. Sadly, this does directly involve motorcycles and their accessories, but it dips into the deep end of G-regulation.

Fortunately, neither of my bikes need any fueling trickery to make them run well, nor do I need an iota of improvement. So for me this is a 'who cares' issue.

For the rest of the country and on behalf of all Californians, sorry about the huge price increase that DynoJet is about to implement. ;)

How is a $ 1,000,000.00 fine going to reduce pollution?

Maybe have Powerjet display the curves and emissions to show compliance?

Looks like a bunch of Governator BS to me!

Power Commander.com now has their new Street Approved* Power Commander EX. With a CARB number displayed.
clicky.

I notice that they were never fined for selling jet kits 20 years ago. The smell of money! :glare:

But jet kits didn't screw with the emission systems (doesn't the PCIII require yanking of the o2 sensor?) and 20 years ago, motorcycles weren't regulated like today.

How is a $ 1,000,000.00 fine going to reduce pollution?
Maybe have Powerjet display the curves and emissions to show compliance?

Looks like a bunch of Governator BS to me!
Hey, can I come over to Salt Lake and dump all my used motor oil in your reservoir? Basically, this is the point of the fine.

There are regulations that you must comply with. Put any label you want on it, they didn't comply and now they have to pay the piper. It's that simple.

yea it against the law. But I will bet if you took the number of Power Commanders on bike in Ca. and got a pollution figure over stock it wouldn't equal one day of pollution from the traffic in the LA area. So what are they to gain? $1 million dollars for the politicians to waste on giving their husbands special deals in construction or real estate. Just on instance of profiteering and waste.

$1 million dollars for the politicians to waste on giving their husbands special deals in construction or real estate. Just on instance of profiteering and waste.
This is the kind of unsubstantiated crap that made us institute a guideline against politics on the forum in the first place. Don't abuse the exception to the guidelines with this outlandish crap. Last chance to swerve the conversation squarely back to something constructive and non-devisive or I'll close this whole thread quicker than you can put a slash in your handle.

Deal with it...or go hang out in the Dungeon to vent your spleen. This is not the place for it. :angry2:

This is a bummer. I was looking forward to buying an affordable PC for my 05. I guess I'll just keep my eyes out for a used one when the prices go up.

At issue was the company's "Power Commander" that can be used to alter the air-fuel mixture and engine timing of on- and off-road motorcycles. CARB said that the installation of these devices would adversely affect the emissions control systems of vehicles that were certified by the original equipment manufacturers to comply with the agency's emissions standards..
Well, duh! They were probably banking on the fact that bikes don't get smog-checked. Doh!

Dynojet has now certified a California version of the "Power Commander" and has agreed to pay $1,000,000 in penalties to the California Air Pollution Control Fund.
I wonder if the CA version will actually be worth putting on?

My bike is a non-Ca (brought in used) I wonder if I can legally put on a 49-state PCIII?

I wonder if all those loud-ass Harleys running around adversely affect the emissions systems as certified by the OEM?

Latest posts