.>=E15 - unleaded

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastern5

Reaction score
How many have seen gasoline dispensers that provide all types?

I have yet to encounter a single service pump that provides all types, from unleaded to E85. Are these pumped via a single outlet hose?

where I have seen it is a single pump, clearly labeled and segregated from the rest. possibly E85?

My prior company car was a flex fuel Chevy Impala. E85 hasn't taken off in the east. I never had an opportunity to even see how it ran on the stuff. Too far from the corn growing lobby, I guess. E0 is also hard to find anywhere in the northeast (I sure do wish this weren't true).

What we do have, almost ubiquitously, is E10 of all available grades being dispensed via the same pump and hose. The tin foil hat crowd says that if you select Premium grade and the last person using the pump used regular, that your premium is watered down by the first slug that comes out of the hose and pump. In a fill of 10 or more gallons it is hardly worth mentioning. Even with a tank fill on the FJR of ~ 5-6 gallons it's no biggee, IMO. I suppose if your tank was less than 2 gallons and the bike was tuned to require high octane at the risk of detonation, that phenomenon might become more important...

My prior company car was a flex fuel Chevy Impala. E85 hasn't taken off in the east. I never had an opportunity to even see how it ran on the stuff. Too far from the corn growing lobby, I guess. E0 is also hard to find anywhere in the northeast (I sure do wish this weren't true).
What we do have, almost ubiquitously, is E10 of all available grades being dispensed via the same pump and hose. The tin foil hat crowd says that if you select Premium grade and the last person using the pump used regular, that your premium is watered down by the first slug that comes out of the hose and pump. In a fill of 10 or more gallons it is hardly worth mentioning. Even with a tank fill on the FJR of ~ 5-6 gallons it's no biggee, IMO. I suppose if your tank was less than 2 gallons and the bike was tuned to require high octane at the risk of detonation, that phenomenon might become more important...
It's been a long time since high school, but if my calculations are close to correct, it would take about 15 feet of 5/8" hose to hold a quart of gasoline. I can't tell you what the octane rating would be of 7 quarts of 93 octane and 1 quart of 87, but it's hard to imagine it making much difference.

What few E85 pumps I've seen have had a different hose.

Easy...
(7 * 93) + (1 * 87) / 8 = 92.25

Big whoop!
smile.png

I also remember how to do averages from high school math, but I'm not sure that's how octane ratings would work. But I bet it's close .

And it'd need to be

((7 * 93) + (1 * 87)) / 8 = 92.25 to work that way. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to recall that by default you do any addition before the division, so our formulas are saying the same thing, right?

I don't see how the dilution would work any other way than a simple average of the volumes.

And, my "big whoop" comment was meant to imply: "no big difference in octane"

I seem to recall that by default you do any addition before the division, so our formulas are saying the same thing, right?
I don't see how the dilution would work any other way than a simple average of the volumes.

And, my "big whoop" comment was meant to imply: "no big difference in octane"
Oh, I know. I'm messing with you.

Actually, computers do the multiplication or division first then the addition or subtraction.

Paste "=(7 * 93) + (1 * 87) / 8" into an Excel spreadsheet and you get 661.875. I just did that for so many years it was second nature to see it. I can't help myself
wink.png

But if a simple average works, that's great. I wasn't sure.

Bottom line -- one quart won't matter unless you're push mower requires premium. ;)

I bought E85 once for my F150.

Not sure if it was from a shared hose, but I remember thinking how it smelled good enough to drink....

smile.png

You guys don't have any vision. Don't Top Fuel Dragster run off of pure alcohol? They're just getting us ready for the upcoming 250 mph speed limits.

And, no, I don't know that I've ever seen a public E85 pump.

I bought E85 once for my F150.Not sure if it was from a shared hose, but I remember thinking how it smelled good enough to drink....

smile.png
Hey, mix it with a little grape juice, and it may not be bad.

Did you check the mileage? We had a guy on the ZRX board who was buying it because it cost less. We told him to check the mileage, and he discovered it actually cost more per mile to run it.

I bought E85 once for my F150.Not sure if it was from a shared hose, but I remember thinking how it smelled good enough to drink....

smile.png
Hey, mix it with a little grape juice, and it may not be bad.

Did you check the mileage? We had a guy on the ZRX board who was buying it because it cost less. We told him to check the mileage, and he discovered it actually cost more per mile to run it.
I don't remember the numbers, but yes, much worse mileage. I just bought it because my truck was compatible and I thought I'd try it.

Save the corn! :)

hmmm interesting.

I have seen pure gas around town. also marine folks carry it. I would be super paranoid and run 1/4 tank or less if I ever see one. My post 2001 vehicle warns against anything over E10

You guys don't have any vision. Don't Top Fuel Dragster run off of pure alcohol? They're just getting us ready for the upcoming 250 mph speed limits.

And, no, I don't know that I've ever seen a public E85 pump.
Top Alcohol dragsters run pure methanol (which I believe is what Odot runs on too), neither you nor a street car wants this in their system. The Top Alcohol dragsters fuel economy is measured in gallons per mile. Top Fuel cars run on nitromethane using superchargers that are so big that a normal 455 CID engine couldn't turn just the supercharger and they ignite the mess using an ignition system that more closely resembles an arc welder. This yields 1000 foot runs up to 330 mph at <4.5 seconds (they can't run a full 1/4 mile because the cars would be going faster than what any track can support). Ponder that for a minute -- in 1000 feet, zero to 330 mph.

There should be no alcohol added to my gas and no water added to my alcohol.

Not to be argumentative... Well, yes, exactly to be argumentative! :lol:

Have you partaken of any Kentucky Bourbon Whiskeys at barrel proof (without water added to it) in the past? It is some fairly vile tasting stuff. The EtOH is so high that your taste buds shut down and you can't taste anything but the alcohol burn. And you know me, I love the burn.

Adding good drinking water to alcohol is a requirement.

Adding bad drinking alcohol to gasoline is a travesty.

Ah, if only they would bring Bourbon to a pump near me...

Here in the land of corn there's an E85 pump at almost every station. It sits off to the side like the diesel pumps do so it'd be relatively hard to casually get it by mistake. I wish the government hadn't promised big Ag that they'd buy 15 gazzillion gallons of the stuff each year.

I prefer PGA.

winksmiley02.gif

Oh! were you talking about for the motorcycle?
fool.gif

"I prefer PGA."

What's golf have to do with this?

( Pure Grain Alcohol - I get it. )