Electric Shift or Standard Shift?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodman

Reaction score
I found a smoking deal on a brand new 08' electric shift. I have a friend that sells bikes and he just sold a used electric shift and he told me that he hated it. He said a bike without a clutch lever just didn't seem right. I've been riding street bikes since I was 16, I'm now 43, and I still have a sportbike. I got this bike to take the wife out on occasion and for some overnight trips. Should I just try to find a standard shift, or should I get the electric shift. I'm afraid I'll drive it away from the dealer and not want it. I put earnest money down to hold the bike. It's supposed to be in later this week or next week. My friend got me doubting my choice. The only reason I went for it was the super discounted price. I can't even find a standard shift for what I'm paying. The AE retails for $1800 more than the standard. I didn't really look for an AE, that's just the only FJR they were getting in.

Has anyone gone from standard to electric shift and regretted it? Let me know your opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'd consider it, but wouldn't unless I got to ride it or one like it for a day or so.

But that's just me.

I have a "standard" but the AE intriques me enough to want to ride one for awhile.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Hey Rodman I was in the same boat last summer. Found a hold over 07 AE with a price too good to resist. I went home did a little research, went out and blindly traded my Concours for the AE. On the ride home I wasn't sure I had made a good move but quickly fell in love with it and the addition of a G2 throttle tamer made it all the better. I'm told the 08 doesn't have the abrupt throttle problem.

I say go for it and enjoy perfect down shifts every time. I have 8K on mine and just finished 1500 miles Friday and Saturday and was totaly impressed with the ease I was able to complete the ride with.

Hey Rodman I was in the same boat last summer. Found a hold over 07 AE with a price too good to resist. I went home did a little research, went out and blindly traded my Concours for the AE. On the ride home I wasn't sure I had made a good move but quickly fell in love with it and the addition of a G2 throttle tamer made it all the better. I'm told the 08 doesn't have the abrupt throttle problem.
I say go for it and enjoy perfect down shifts every time. I have 8K on mine and just finished 1500 miles Friday and Saturday and was totaly impressed with the ease I was able to complete the ride with.
Thanks, I just needed a little reassurance. I'm going to go ahead and give it a chance. I've read good things. I think more sport touring bikes will go this direction in the future. I'm sure I'll quickly get used to it, and learn to love it.

I have one (2008) and like it. I got a good deal on it and with the heated grips it makes a nice combo. It is not really that complicated of a technology , and has been out since 2006. I have not heard of any problems that were not really isolated incidents IMO.

I was in a similar situaiton. I just wanted an FJR, and AE is what came up at a price I was willing to pay. I didn't 'want' the AE, I was a little nervous about geting it. Now I think it's awesome. Rode 1764 miles last weekend, and wouldn't trade it for anything out there. Just know you HAVE to use good throttle control, wack the throttle around sloppily and you'll lurch around like someone leaning to use a clutch for the first time. If I had to buy it again, i'd do it in a second.

I have Grip Puppies and Crampbuster on mine. I think the larger diameter of the grip puppies makes it easier to be smooth. First discovered them on a Vstrom and really liked them. I'm very happy with this setup.

I have been riding for over 35 years and with the exception of my first mini bike, I have always had a clutch lever. So I had some SERIOUS reservations about the AE. But there was a good deal on one ( which kinda made me wonder even more) so I figured if I didn't like it, I would just sell it and hopefully not lose any money. Well, let me say, mine is not for sale!

I love riding the AE and enjoy the finger shifting although I still find myself shifting with my foot. I have not found the situation yet where I wished for the clutch lever. It does take good throttle control at low speed but that is something we should all have anyway. I haven't put on the G2 throttle tamer but will probably be ordering one in the next week.

When it comes time to replace my 06, I will be looking at both the AE and standard models- I will not rule out either one, but I won't hesitate at getting another AE. The FJR is such a great bike to ride, I don't think the electric shift takes anything away from that experience and for some folks it adds to the fun.

If the Good Lord intended motorcycle to be clutchless, he wouldnt have given us a left hand. Nuff said. :blink:
Formula One race cars went to electric shift years ago and gave up the manual clutch. Nicky Haden never uses the clutch on his MotoGP bike, even for downshifts (at least that is what his Honda MotoGP mechanic said). I raced CCS and WSMC for years, but I'll give the electric shift a chance, even though using a clutch is second nature for me. I'm sure I'll be reaching for a clutch that isn't there a few times.

If the Good Lord intended motorcycle to be clutchless, he wouldnt have given us a left hand. Nuff said. :blink:
I'm sure I'll be reaching for a clutch that isn't there a few times.
Very true. I call it the "Phantom Clutch" for a few weeks I was opening my fingers and reaching for it. After 7k I am over it, and the warm grip feels good. The 2008 and later do not lurch as much as i understand it. I don't really notice it anymore i know the bike pretty well now and a light hand and a little rear brake help keep it smooth if needed.

You'll get a little flak/ribbing here over the AE, but the system is what you make of it. If you have a bad shift, figure out what you did and change it. The computer works the same every time for a given set of circumstances. The throttle and how it's applied are controlling both the engine AND the action of the clutch.

Like you, I've ridden forever, street, track, mx, but I love the AE. If you've raced, you know to be smooth, and without a clutch to 'cover up' sloppy throttle control, it'll let you know if your being too abrupt with it.

I love the system, have about 5,000 miles in 2 months on it, and it gets better and better. Last weekend, I did a SS1000/BB1500 ride, that included the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway and it was simply perfect.

I had no real 'reach for the clutch' problems, I've done that maybe twice, BUT this is how I started with the AE and it worked well for me.

First, I never used my thumb to shift, not once have I done that. It's index finder only for both up and down shifts. So no honking the horn when you try to shift, etc.

Second. I've never really used the foot shifter at all. Maybe once or twice, I thought felt odd, so basically ALL shifts are only with the index finger. When I get on that bike, that's how it shifts. I do wish I didn't have to push the button to activate that system. If you forget, it won't shift.

Riding a clutch bike is just as natural as ever, maybe that's because I've done nothing to confuse the left hand/left foot clutch shift coordination/muscle memory, since I don't use the foot shifter.

My AE shifts are a completely different 'skill' if you will. And I do think of it that way.

I have to say, over 5,000 miles now, with some HEAVY commuter traffic, Deals Gap, ALL kinds of weather, sometime 'racer like' attention, and sometime pretty lazy and sloppy, and I've yet to find a false neutral, missed shift, or problem of any sort that made me think about wanting a clutch.

You've got the right attitude, and exactly how I went into it. My thought was, "Sounds like it'll be cool, but I'll buy it right... if don't like it, I'll sell it at little/no loss, or maybe make a buck or two off it"

You're cracking me up today.

You are in rare form this afternoon... :lol:

Started your weekend early? (I have)

Fred has a point in that there has been some problems with the AE. I have previously ridden an 05 FJR for appx. 50k miles and really found it to be magnificent. I wanted to have the paddle shifter in the AE when it it was available in 2006 model.

I have appx. 50 k on it and it has had several electrical problems related to ignition switches(3 installed so far) and a shunt ground failure that has been fixed under YES warranty.

Even though I have had these problems, I consider the AE a nearly magnificent motorbike, and only slightly less excellent than the standard clutch system model.

If Yamaha continues to offer it in future bikes, I am probably a repeat buyer. I am an FJR Vintage Rider approaching 70 years and I find it perfect for my applications.

A little practice in a safe parking lot environment will enable an experienced rider to get the hang of it quickly and safely.

Fred has a point in that there has been some problems with the AE.
Rodman

Yes I agree. There are some reports about a couple of units that are showing issues... Shane Stump's for one (we still don't know the cause, or what the fix was). There is another AE in Ireland (California bike) that had controller issues - possibly brought about by grounding problems. They are isolated events. Turbo Dave's bike just had issues any 2nd Gen.FJR might have - ignition switch failures, and a grounding shunt meltdown. Don Carvers A model had the same issues.

You have to remember, the YCCS bike (AE) is new production technology. When I first looked for my FJR I thought long and hard about buying into this "Bleeding Edge" stuff. Mine is an '06 first model year of introduction. So far I am extremely satisfied with it. I also watch the FJRForum closely to try to spot any trends that may develop with these bikes. So far so good - and what a great bunch of people.

To AE or not to AE is a question you will have to work out by yourself. I will say this... If you decide against it, you're always going to wonder "what if? :rolleyes:

Good luck on what ever you end up with, and welcome to the FJRForum.

Brodie