Electrical Problems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent

Who said FJR's don't do dirt?
Reaction score
Ok folks, here's a good one. This morning on the way to work, a car pulled up in a driveway like he was going to pull out. I fired off my FF50's as a warning (tied into my high beams). After about a second, the bike stumbled badly, my alarm chirped a few times, and all kinds of wierdness. I've noticed this has happened a few times before, but it is NOT repeatable. I ran with my FF50's on for a good 30+ minutes yesterday in the twisties just to see if I could repeat it and all was flawless yesterday.

Bikes an '07 with 35k miles on the clock. The FF50's are wired to my Blue Sea fues block with a relay that is triggered off the high beams. According to my Passport RD I've got 13.5 with the FF50's on, and over 14 with the 50's off. I doupt it's a power problem as the 50's have been on the bike for the past 1 1/2-2 years.

This mornings run was with 0 accessories.

Yesterday's was with GPS, XM, and Radar.

Thoughts?

This sounds like a bad ground connection at the battery or the ground to the fuse block.
Try cleaning the connections.
+1 on the ground connection check all electrical connections, I had a loose ground the day before CFR and canceled the trip, found the loose ground and wanted to get some miles on it before I wander far from home, it messed up my Power Comander and got surging problems, after I fixed the ground no more problems.

Marcus

Ray,

Gunny on the connections.

I just completed a major maintenance on my 06 - and due to other owners having wiring harness problems with corrosion and subsequent ground shunt meltings, I opened up every connector I could find. ALL of them had corrosion to some degree. Some were majorly corroded, some just a light 'dusting' of powder.

I cleaned them up, then soaked them with one of your favorites, CorrosionX, and have reassembled. Connectors that I could not open or could not reach to open, I soaked with CorrosionX just for grins.

The harness connection points are now on my maintenance list for every 16K. Hopefully I won't be visited by them old thermal over-run gremlins.

UPDATE: I took the bike out to pick up some parts earlier without any farkles. The bike did the major stumble even without the FF50's. I'll pull the bike in the back and give the connectors and grounds a good going over this weekend. Thanks guys. BTW, love CorrosionX, I use it on all my boat connectors B)

I'm also doing a major service and ready to tackle the "connectors" as I'm getting the bike ready for WFO and have the tank off. May sound silly but just like to know how you guys "cleaned" the connections. And did you then spray the CorrosionX on the connection and then apply di-electric tuneup grease at the contact points? Thanks for any help, PM. <>< :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading Bramfranks thread and poking around a bit I may have found the source of the problems. A melting ground block.

The cap is melted thru and bubbling on the side.

DSC_4486.jpg

the corrosion and discoloration under the cap

DSC_4487.jpg

I'm not sure how I'm going to get in there to clean that all up, but it's gonna happen. At least the XS is up to snuff B)

Ray

Would this be the one under the gas tank to the left of the engine bay in front of the engine?

That one seems to be the one most susceptible to a thermal runaway. It makes me wonder just what circuits this item services.

Don't run the bike until you get it cleaned up, you don't want to cause further damage.

Brodie

Three or four wires at that termination? Their colors? Are they all black?

That termination appears to be a shorting connector where the three wires are shorted together via a removable termination rather than a permanent mechanical/solder connection in the wiring harness.

I think this is an example of Japanese philosophy of only using the minimum that will do. For example - on Japanese bikes you will rarely see a grade 8 bolt where they figure a grade 5 will do.

These melting connections cause is what?

Too much current and fuse has not blown?

Too light gauge wire for the current and it has heated up?

A crap crimp/solder job where a couple of strands of a multistrand wire are carrying the current?

The engineer who did the wireing calculations fucked up?

Corrosion in the connection leading to heating up?

All the above could be fixed at manufacture - heavier wire, better connectors, corrosion protection etc - by not trying to minimize everything. Maybe (likely) the harness is put together in China and shipped to Japan with crap quality control or sub spec. components.

Has this problem been seen in other Yamahas?

A view please of the underside of the black removable cap?

Looks like a termination for shorting together six black/green common return wires. Three of the wires on the right side are permanently bussed together with/without the cap installed. The three wires on the left are disconnected/isolated when the cap is removed. Obviously the shorting cap connections have deteriorated creating resistance and generating heat.

I don't see that termination on the '06A schematics.

Ray
Would this be the one under the gas tank to the left of the engine bay in front of the engine?

That one seems to be the one most susceptible to a thermal runaway. It makes me wonder just what circuits this item services.

Don't run the bike until you get it cleaned up, you don't want to cause further damage.

Brodie
his
That would be the suspect connection Brodie. Since it's a known trouble spot, it was the first place I looked. I waited til the XS was back up and running to chase this electrical demon so I could leave the FJR down awhile if needed.

A view please of the underside of the black removable cap?
Looks like a termination for shorting together six black/green common return wires. Three of the wires on the right side are permanently bussed together with/without the cap installed. The three wires on the left are disconnected/isolated when the cap is removed. Obviously the shorting cap connections have deteriorated creating resistance and generating heat.

I don't see that termination on the '06A schematics.
Ask and you shal recieve B)

DSC_4488.jpg