Electrical Smell after changing Right Headlight Bulb on '07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

47cornbinder

Reaction score
I recently replaced my right burned-out headlight with a standard Sylvania Xtravision 9003/H4 Halogen bulb. After my first commute, I noticed a strong electrical smell coming from my bike. I tried unplugging the headlight, and riding without it, but I still smelled something burning after a 13 mile ride. It seemed like the smell was around the right side of the tank, but not sure if the wind was just blowing it out that way. After several commutes without using the right headlight, It seems very faint now. I haven't noticed any problems with the lights, dash or ignition, so can't pinpoint the source. I had a lot of trouble removing the seal and old bulb, and probably pulled a little hard on some of the wiring around the back of the headlight. There is actually one wire with a ring lug on the end that I can't figure out where it was connected. It is just behind the headlight Could that be a ground connection? I will check my friend's '06 FJR for reference. Could I have a spider issue now? I dealer took care of the spider issue years ago. In the meantime, I'm trying to get the tank off, so to check for damaged spiders, wiring or connectors. Thanks

The one wire with a ring lug is actually the ambient temperature sensor and it's happy just the way it is, no need to do anything with it.

I can't help with the electrical smell. I will observe that electrical things never get better once they start to go south. I know it's a PITA, but you may want to look at the headlight socket and see if it is turning brown. It isn't unheard of for poor contact between the bulb pins and the headlight socket to cause the headlight socket to melt down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked at my friend's FJR and it had the same ring lug hanging there. Our minivan had that problem, where the socket melted. I will check it out. Thanks!

Latest posts