Electronic Shift

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottom line - like shifting my bike. Most all vehicles have autos now, think it's a refreshing change to bang the gears on the FJR. I'm not against the auto, just think it would have a better place on a bike like the Wing w/ the airbag.
[SIZE=21pt]For the umpteenth million time-[/SIZE]

You will still have to SHIFT the FJR AE. You can still bang through the gears to your hearts content on the AE. It's not an automatic transmission!

C'mon folks. This isn't that difficult a concept to grasp.

And as for:

With all the great bikes on the market, can't believe anyone would want two of the same even if one has an auto shifter.
Well, guess not everyone thinks the same as you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line - like shifting my bike. Most all vehicles have autos now, think it's a refreshing change to bang the gears on the FJR. I'm not against the auto, just think it would have a better place on a bike like the Wing w/ the airbag.

You will still have to SHIFT the FJR AE. You can still bang through the gears to your hearts content on the AE. It's not an automatic transmission!

And as for:

With all the great bikes on the market, can't believe anyone would want two of the same even if one has an auto shifter.
So..... its an automatic? Right? :p :bleh: :p :p :bleh: :p

And as for:

So..... its an automatic? Right? :p :bleh: :p :p :bleh: :p
:fuck:

Ack! Where's the damn smiley for blowing one's brains out?

So does the ECU determine the shift point based on engine speed (rpm) or vehicle speed? Or is it a combination of both that determines when the transmission up/downshifts?

Only three posts to his credit. Give him time.

Heck, I have 12 already. I just know a little about nothing.

:)

Wow .... sounds like ol' Mr. 1945 may have inside info on this subject. He talks like he has already ridden, or better yet, designed, this system. See, that is why I love this place, only 3 posts to his credit and he just oozzes information.  :rolleyes:
Wow, you must be a pretty smart guy having 129 posts. I bow to your superior knowledge and experience! I see you have 2000 miles on your 05 with 129 posts. I have 26,000 on my 05 and only 3 posts. That's what I love about this place!!: :D )

So does the ECU determine the shift point based on engine speed (rpm) or vehicle speed?  Or is it a combination of both that determines when the transmission up/downshifts?
My guess is engine speed. Anybody have the answer? Just wondering....

Gee, did I order an automatic or will I have to shift this beast? :D

It's a joke SkooterG and Mastercaster !

And yes, I one one of each.

So does the ECU determine the shift point based on engine speed (rpm) or vehicle speed? Or is it a combination of both that determines when the transmission up/downshifts?
There is no shifting unless the operator pushes a shift button or uses the shift lever. The only time I would expect the clutch to operate without input from the rider is in low speed maneuvers. Still waiting to hear how that will work. Just a matter of curiosity for me.

So does the ECU determine the shift point based on engine speed (rpm) or vehicle speed?  Or is it a combination of both that determines when the transmission up/downshifts?
There is no shifting unless the operator pushes a shift button or uses the shift lever. The only time I would expect the clutch to operate without input from the rider is in low speed maneuvers. Still waiting to hear how that will work. Just a matter of curiosity for me.
I thinkRadioHowie's question is how does the "AE" clutch match engine rpm with that of the transmission. He knows you manually shift the bike. ;)

I thinkRadioHowie's question is how does the "AE" clutch match engine rpm with that of the transmission. He knows you manually shift the bike. ;)
Yeah...I'm just bein' a jackass. :assasin:

FJR pilot -- I like technolgy, and am not afraid of something new, but I still won't get an auto shift FJR. I like to shift my bike, and yes, I know you shift the new one, but you don't, you push a button. I think largely the idea of the electronic shifter, is not appealing to most motorcyclists. For most of us, our motorcycle is not merely a mode of transportation in the way that most of our cars are. We ride a bike over driving a car for a reason, sometimes many reasons. For a lot of us, a big reason is the interaction of man/woman and machine. The electronic shifter deadens part of that.

But look at the few cars that offer it, many of them still offer a stick as well. Many for the same reason, loss of interactivity. There are still people that want to shift their Ferrari, not simply push a button to change gears.

It has nothing to do with my comfort zone. I like new tech, my FJR is an ABS model. I drive a Prius for a car.

And the masses don't go to the moon, because we lack the opportunity. I would go tommorrow if I could, but I don't have the opportunity. It has nothing to do with fear of change.

Even if it works smoothly, and quicker; I won't get one.

For nuetral, I would guess you push both buttons at once. That is how I think it works for Ferrari and Astin Martins.

Personally, I don't think it willl be a huge seller; but I have been wrong before. The biggest market, I think, would be for beginers, for the ease of use, but the FJR isn't a beginner's bike (for the most part).

Honda actually offered a full automatic years ago, the "Hondamatic." It was not a big seller. 70's or 80's, was I beleive 450 ccs. Probly worth a fortune now to a collector.

Spike

Does anybody really care if someone else eats a hotdog upside down.

So what if someone posts assbackwards information about some untested automatic bike, :D ,let them. It ain't "Technical Info to help someone".

Some are losing their hair, but dare I say, "hook, line and sinker".

A forum is anarchy and chaos.

Fuck it. :ph34r:

Please kill, delete, destroy all 100 of the 06 threads.

:blink:

I'm not sure how it will be smoother?? The clutch smooths out the gear changes, try shifting with no clutch, if the revs aren't perfect it is not smooth at all?? :(

:hyper: :trinibob: :headbonk: :russian: :taunt: :taunt:

I love these threads....keep 'em commin'. Great entertainment.

FJR pilot -- I like technolgy, and am not afraid of something new, but I still won't get an auto shift FJR. I like to shift my bike, and yes, I know you shift the new one, but you don't, you push a button. I think largely the idea of the electronic shifter, is not appealing to most motorcyclists. For most of us, our motorcycle is not merely a mode of transportation in the way that most of our cars are. We ride a bike over driving a car for a reason, sometimes many reasons. For a lot of us, a big reason is the interaction of man/woman and machine. The electronic shifter deadens part of that.But look at the few cars that offer it, many of them still offer a stick as well. Many for the same reason, loss of interactivity. There are still people that want to shift their Ferrari, not simply push a button to change gears.

It has nothing to do with my comfort zone. I like new tech, my FJR is an ABS model. I drive a Prius for a car.

And the masses don't go to the moon, because we lack the opportunity. I would go tommorrow if I could, but I don't have the opportunity. It has nothing to do with fear of change.

For nuetral, I would guess you push both buttons at once. That is how I think it works for Ferrari and Astin Martins.

Personally, I don't think it willl be a huge seller; but I have been wrong before. The biggest market, I think, would be for beginers, for the ease of use, but the FJR isn't a beginner's bike (for the most part).

Honda actually offered a full automatic years ago, the "Hondamatic." It was not a big seller. 70's or 80's, was I beleive 450 ccs. Probly worth a fortune now to a collector.

Spike
It isn't an auto shift! It has an electronic clutch. You shift just like now. You just don't have to squeeze the lever!

Yeah...I'm just bein' a jackass. :assasin:
Ok, I understand now! :)

FJR pilot -- I like technolgy, and am not afraid of something new, but I still won't get an auto shift FJR.  I like to shift my bike, and yes, I know you shift the new one, but you don't, you push a button.  I think largely the idea of the electronic shifter, is not appealing to most motorcyclists.  For most of us, our motorcycle is not merely a mode of transportation in the way that most of our cars are.  We ride a bike over driving a car for a reason, sometimes many reasons.  For a lot of us, a big reason is the interaction of man/woman and machine.  The electronic shifter deadens part of that.But look at the few cars that offer it, many of them still offer a stick as well.  Many for the same reason, loss of interactivity.  There are still people that want to shift their Ferrari, not simply push a button to change gears.

It has nothing to do with my comfort zone.  I like new tech, my FJR is an ABS model.  I drive a Prius for a car.

And the masses don't go to the moon, because we lack the opportunity.  I would go tommorrow if I could, but I don't have the opportunity.  It has nothing to do with fear of change.

For nuetral, I would guess you push both buttons at once.  That is how I think it works for Ferrari and Astin Martins.

Personally, I don't think it willl be a huge seller; but I have been wrong before.  The biggest market, I think, would be for beginers, for the ease of use, but the FJR isn't a beginner's bike (for the most part). 

Honda actually offered a full automatic years ago, the "Hondamatic."  It was not a big seller.  70's or 80's, was I beleive 450 ccs.  Probly worth a fortune now to a collector.

Spike
Spike, my FJR is an 05 ABS like yours, and I too drive a new generation Prius! So we do have a couple things in common.

I have said what I think the AE will be and I could be wrong. We will just have to wait and see! I don't mind being wrong, but I think when we begin to see some actual test rides I won't be far off the mark.

If I am wrong I will credit it to only having three posts!

I love a clutch and I love a kick starter too. I'd say I love them all! :D