Electronic Shift

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottom line - like shifting my bike. Most all vehicles have autos now, think it's a refreshing change to bang the gears on the FJR. I'm not against the auto, just think it would have a better place on a bike like the Wing w/ the airbag.
[SIZE=21pt]For the umpteenth million time-[/SIZE]

You will still have to SHIFT the FJR AE. You can still bang through the gears to your hearts content on the AE. It's not an automatic transmission!

C'mon folks. This isn't that difficult a concept to grasp.

And as for:

With all the great bikes on the market, can't believe anyone would want two of the same even if one has an auto shifter.
Well, guess not everyone thinks the same as you.
So..... its an automatic? Right? :p :bleh: :p :p :bleh: :p
yeah, I don't like the idea of the bike shifting when it wants to, it could get irritating. :fool: :hyper: :pilot: :russian:

Mike

There are still people that want to shift their Ferrari, not simply push a button to change gears.
Obviously you've never driven a Ferrari. For a car that costs as much as a Ferrari, they have absolutely the worst damn gearboxes on the planet. A $15,000 Honda Civic shifts better than a quarter-million dollar F50. Ferrari redefines "crashbox".

I like to shift my bike, and yes, I know you shift the new one, but you don't, you push a button.
...or you could simply use your left foot and shift with the lever, just like you would a "standard".

For nuetral, I would guess you push both buttons at once.
...or you could simply use your left foot and shift....wait, I already type that! Oh well, the truth is worth repeating.

Honda actually offered a full automatic years ago, the "Hondamatic."  It was not a big seller.  70's or 80's, was I beleive 450 ccs.
Clicky for somewhat less apocryphal info

I drive a Prius for a car.
puke.gif
:haha:

:D

Bottom line - like shifting my bike. Most all vehicles have autos now, think it's a refreshing change to bang the gears on the FJR. I'm not against the auto, just think it would have a better place on a bike like the Wing w/ the airbag.
[SIZE=21pt]For the umpteenth million time-[/SIZE]

You will still have to SHIFT the FJR AE. You can still bang through the gears to your hearts content on the AE. It's not an automatic transmission!

C'mon folks. This isn't that difficult a concept to grasp.

And as for:

With all the great bikes on the market, can't believe anyone would want two of the same even if one has an auto shifter.
Well, guess not everyone thinks the same as you.
So..... its an automatic? Right? :p :bleh: :p :p :bleh: :p
yeah, I don't like the idea of the bike shifting when it wants to, it could get irritating. :fool: :hyper: :pilot: :russian:

Mike
Nah, it's a CVT - no need to shift at all.

So how does this new automatic know when to shit into reverse?
The operator will handle that manually when things don't go exactly as planned on a twisty downhill mountain road. :eek:

Pretty much the same as we do now. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
So how does this new automatic know when to [SIZE=14pt]shit[/SIZE] into reverse? B)
The mixspelling we've ALL been waiting to see and we've corrected ourselves before hitting the "Add Reply" button. :p

This issue is great fodder and seems to evoke a great mass of input. Allrighty then! First of all the AE bike shifts when you push a button! Not when you pull the lever in. There is NO WAY to make a button feel or respond the way a clutch lever will So basically no feathering, no pull in and coasts.....no pull in and let 'er rip...no drop down a gear and flog it! Electronics will not respond the same way the cable lever set up will. It is okay to be a 'wanna be techie" and have the latest and greatest but quit trying to cram your "greatest thing since sliced bread" philosphy on us that just want to get on the damn thing and rock and roll! I for one love to flog the gears, and feel the power. There is no way a push button will allow me to do that. NO WAY! If you want to believe that then fine. One day you will embrace reality and you'll see. Or NOT! Personally, I didnt buy this bike to just sit back and watch the friggin' day go by. I bought it to ride! R-I-D-E!

fiveoon05

So this thing shifts itself? You push a button and the machine does the rest? Kind of like my 1964 Dodge Dart?

Maybe this is the leading edge of the wave of the future, but unlike having an electric starter, this thing would have dire consequences of making me forget how to ride a standard bike (like 99.999% of the bikes I would be likely to own, rent, demo, borrow or steal. I'd hate to lose those clutching/shifting skills just for a little convenience. Now if I had no legs, this (along with a linked ABS handbrake) would allow me to keep riding I guess.

What's next? Power steering on a bike?

This issue is great fodder and seems to evoke a great mass of input.  Allrighty then! First of all the AE bike shifts when you push a button!  Not when you pull the lever in.  There is NO WAY to make a button feel or respond the way a clutch lever will  So basically no feathering, no pull in and coasts.....no pull in and let 'er rip...no drop down a gear and flog it!  Electronics will not respond the same way the cable lever set up will.  It is okay to be a 'wanna be techie" and have the latest and greatest but quit trying to cram your "greatest thing since sliced bread" philosphy on us that just want to get on the damn thing and rock and roll!  I for one love to flog the gears, and feel the power.  There is no way a push button will allow me to do that.  NO WAY!  If you want to believe that  then  fine.  One day you will embrace reality and you'll see.  Or NOT!  Personally, I didnt buy this bike to just sit back and watch the friggin' day go by.  I bought it to ride!  R-I-D-E!
fiveoon05
I can see you have a clear understanding of how the "AE" works! :D

So this thing shifts itself? You push a button and the machine does the rest? Kind of like my 1964 Dodge Dart?
Maybe this is the leading edge of the wave of the future, but unlike having an electric starter, this thing would have dire consequences of making me forget how to ride a standard bike (like 99.999% of the bikes I would be likely to own, rent, demo, borrow or steal. I'd hate to lose those clutching/shifting skills just for a little convenience. Now if I had no legs, this (along with a linked ABS handbrake) would allow me to keep riding I guess.

I think there is a special helmet that is connected to the computer, when you think about shit...er, shifting, it shifts. I could be wrong of course.

Mike

Airbag? Oh wait, it's being done.

Mike

FJR pilot -- I like technolgy, and am not afraid of something new, but I still won't get an auto shift FJR. I like to shift my bike, and yes, I know you shift the new one, but you don't, you push a button. I think largely the idea of the electronic shifter, is not appealing to most motorcyclists. For most of us, our motorcycle is not merely a mode of transportation in the way that most of our cars are. We ride a bike over driving a car for a reason, sometimes many reasons. For a lot of us, a big reason is the interaction of man/woman and machine. The electronic shifter deadens part of that.But look at the few cars that offer it, many of them still offer a stick as well. Many for the same reason, loss of interactivity. There are still people that want to shift their Ferrari, not simply push a button to change gears.

It has nothing to do with my comfort zone. I like new tech, my FJR is an ABS model. I drive a Prius for a car.

And the masses don't go to the moon, because we lack the opportunity. I would go tommorrow if I could, but I don't have the opportunity. It has nothing to do with fear of change.

Even if it works smoothly, and quicker; I won't get one.

For nuetral, I would guess you push both buttons at once. That is how I think it works for Ferrari and Astin Martins.

Personally, I don't think it willl be a huge seller; but I have been wrong before. The biggest market, I think, would be for beginers, for the ease of use, but the FJR isn't a beginner's bike (for the most part).

Honda actually offered a full automatic years ago, the "Hondamatic." It was not a big seller. 70's or 80's, was I beleive 450 ccs. Probly worth a fortune now to a collector.

Spike
Duuude! That is exactly how I feel. Well said. I love technology too and I embrace it. If I didn't I would probably be a Hardley owner. But technology doesn't exist for technology's sake - it exists for ours.

Yes, you do SHIFT the AE. But with buttons instead. I know there is a foot lever to simulate the mechanical shifter, but what's the point when it does the same thing as the buttons?

You will NEVER have a clutch to operate. Therefore you will NEVER have the control of a true-blue manual.

Anyway, the aregument and misunderstanding can rage on. The AE simply aint for me.

Kudos to fjrpilot1945 for having a manual and wanting an "autoclutch" version. Why settle for one or the other when you can have both!?!

-BD

Clutching is half the fun of riding! May I suggest just trading your FJR in on a scooter and being done with it? :p

Clutching is half the fun of riding! May I suggest just trading your FJR in on a scooter and being done with it? :p
What's the other half??

Wind in your face like on a scooter?? :D

Bottom line - like shifting my bike. Most all vehicles have autos now, think it's a refreshing change to bang the gears on the FJR. I'm not against the auto, just think it would have a better place on a bike like the Wing w/ the airbag. With all the great bikes on the market, can't believe anyone would want two of the same even if one has an auto shifter.
You always have one to ride when one is in for maintenance. Besides, one is a "Scooter".

It isn't an auto shift! It has an electronic clutch. You shift just like now. You just don't have to squeeze the lever!

But again, you don't shift it. The computer does. You may decide when, but you don't actually interact with the gears is my point. You push a button. Or push on a lever that is where the shifter is supposed to be, which then tells the computer to shift.

There is a very real difference between that and exercising my skills and matching the speed, clutch and shifter myself.

It isn't wrong per se, it just puts you the rider one step away from the raod and machine; which I beleive goes against why most people ride. In a car it is one thing, for most that is simply a mode of transportation. The feelings are different on a bike, most own and ride them for the interaction of man adn machine.

Spike

There are still people that want to shift their Ferrari, not simply push a button to change gears.

Obviously you've never driven a Ferrari.  For a car that costs as much as a Ferrari, they have absolutely the worst damn gearboxes on the planet.  A $15,000 Honda Civic shifts better than a quarter-million dollar F50.  Ferrari redefines "crashbox". 
Actually I have, I found it quite enjoyable actually, but the yes gated style shifter does take a modicum of skill to master.

I like to shift my bike, and yes, I know you shift the new one, but you don't, you push a button.
...or you could simply use your left foot and shift with the lever, just like you would a "standard".
from what I have seen about the new AE, the "shift lever" will be there, but will not be an actual shift lever. It will just tell the computer you want to shift and the computer will shift. It won't really be like you have a choice between riding it like a normal bike and using the AE function. It will always be AE, you will just have the option of pushing the buttons up top or using the lever at teh side.

For nuetral, I would guess you push both buttons at once.
...or you could simply use your left foot and shift....wait, I already type that! Oh well, the truth is worth repeating.
It depends if the shift lever is "real" or not. I don't beleive it is. If I am correct, then it is more of a switch not a shifter.

I'm not sure how it will be smoother??  The clutch smooths out the gear changes, try shifting with no clutch, if the revs aren't perfect it is not smooth at all?? :(
because it will be computer controlled, including the clutch, it isn't really a clutchless system, it is just a clutch you the rider no longer control.

the computer will perfectly match everything, every time

It is neat stuff, I just don't want it.