Electrosport Stator Has Gone Bad

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionbeam

2 FUN
Reaction score
(If you don’t want to grind through the whole story, skip to the end for notes about my Electrosport stator and why it may be bad.)

Over the past several weeks I’ve noticed that my radar detector’s volt meter reading would drop down into the 11 volt range every once in a while, but would recover back to ~13.6 volts. Everything seemed to work fine and there was no problem starting so I chose to ignore the irregularity. Yesterday, less than a week from EOM my stator 100% quit while I was out running errands. While parking my bike at the first stop I noticed that the headlights reflection in a store’s window were a deep yellow. This prompted a quick glance at the volt meter – 11.2 volts. Oh phuck. Leaving the store Feejer started right up with little drama so I went on to my next stop but parked so that there would be some chance of bump starting it should things continue to get worse. Leaving this stop the electrical system did a full drop-out and reset the meter but on a second try it started. Now came the anxiety of making it home before I ran out of volts. About 2 miles from home my detector’s volt meter was reading 10.4 volts making it a close call if I would get home. I have confidence that the coils will continue to fire down to 9.8 volts but I’m not sure how the Injectors or Fuel Pump will behave. When I went over a frame shaking bump the meter jumped up to 11.2 volts, assurance that I would make it home and a tip-off that the problem could be a loose connection. I was able to zip into my garage with no further drama.

Off comes panels C and D. The battery terminals are just a tiny bit loose, not enough to cause my problems directly. A real volt meter shows 11.2 volts on the battery with the engine off. I started the engine and the voltage dropped to 10.9 volts reflecting the power consumed starting the engine. Revving the engine to 5k rpm produced zero increase in voltage. Not good. I plugged my trickle charger into the permanently attached pig-tail for a quick feeding.

Off comes panels A & B as well as the lower fairings. On my Gen I, I now have access to the rectifier/regulator (RR) plus the stator and battery connectors. A quick inspection does not show any problems with the wires or connectors. I back probed the heavy battery wires attached to the RR and started the engine. Still no charging voltage right at the RR. I did a voltage drop measurement from the + output of the RR to the + terminal of the battery -- 0.2 volts which is good. I did a voltage drop test to the negative terminal of the battery -- 0.3 volts, acceptable. I did a negative voltage drop test to the engine -- 0.5 volts, not good but not related to my failure. The excessive voltage drop seems to be at the lug crimp where the cable attaches to the engine block. Another day, another time I will address this problem.

So, the problem may be a short in the main harness, a bad RR or a bad stator. I unplugged the battery wires from the RR and with the engine running, a known good battery connected to the RR terminals I checked the battery voltage. There was still no charging voltage even with the whole motorcycle electrical system out of the picture.

I won’t have access to a meter that can accurately measure fractional ohms until Monday so I did an AC voltage test on the stator. All three wires should read ≥50 volts AC, any phase to any phase when the engine is running at 5k rpm. Two phases were just a bit over 48 volts and one phase was 26 volts. Bad stator. The RR ohms correctly and the rectifying diodes pass a junction drop test (the diode symbol setting on some digital multi-meters). I do have a spare RR should it be necessary.

I was able to get to my dealer at the last death defying second to score a stator cover gasket. They were just about to lock the doors when I arrived. I’ve primed the parts counter guy for the prospect of a spittle spewing desperado calling him on Monday morning to have an OEM stator overnighted. In the mean time I will have a call parked at Electrosport awaiting them when they open the doors at 8:30 CA time. First best outcome will be to have ES overnight a high output stator to me, followed by an OEM Yamaha stator followed by putting in the OEM stator I took out when I installed my Electrosport. No matter how you cut it, it’s gonna be a rush to get everything done and be able to leave for EOM before the sun is up on Thursday.

If the rain stops I’m going to wash my poor bikie today and will pull the stator tomorrow. If the rain doesn’t stop by mid afternoon I will pull the stator today.

I hope that the bits of information contained in my saga will help anyone that experiences electrical issues while on the road.

Why my Electrosport stator may be bad:

Last winter my engine destroyed itself. My first choice was to replace the engine with a used one. When the first used engine showed up we put in my ES because the replacement engine had no stator. This used engine was a POS, the stator was removed and the engine was returned to the seller. My ES was swapped into a second POS engine and removed. Then the ES was reinstalled into my engine during the rebuild. This spring the ES was yet again removed when the crank was taken out of my engine for a second time to access the rods and plane bearings. When I do an autopsy to find the root cause for my ES failure I suspect I will find that excessive handling played a prime role in its demise. My ES was never subjected to electrical abuse, if I saw ignition voltage drop below 12.8 volts I would start shutting down electrical items to prevent overload. When ignition voltage was 12.8 volts battery voltage would still be 13.2 volts or higher.

At this time I think my stator failure is unique and directly related to all the recent handling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a power supply capable of accurately limiting amperage? If so, you can use a good multimeter to accurately measure the coil resistance by passing a known stable low-current through the wires and measure the voltage accurately. V=IR

Tomorrow I will have access to an 8-1/2 digit meter that permits Kelvin Probing and is made specifically for fractional ohm readings. Kelvin Probing is a 4 wire bridge that automatically cancels out probe wire resistance. In addition, I do have a power supply with programmable current as well as shunt resistors. I B EEquipped for this task :lol:

One of the small specialties of my present business is coil winding and our equipment is so accurate that we can tell if just one strand in a Litz wire bundle is broken (Litz wire looks like solder wick).

ionbeam, seems if you didn't have bad luck, you would have no luck at all. Might be a good reason to upgrade to aftermarket, more power unit.
Some times it does seem that way. Hopefully I've posted a balancing number of trip reports and travel pictures that more than tips the balance of 'life's little challenges' in favor of ‘Life is Good’.

My failed Electrosport stator IS an aftermarket higher power stator. Gen I OEM stator has 490 watts on a good day (often measured to be more like 420 watts), the Electrosport is a 590 watt stator.

Well, I'm in the crunch mode to be able to leave on Thursday morning.

Electosport was unable to help me in the time frame that I needed this morning, all their phones are set up for a return call only. I tried to back-door my need for a new stator by calling their Technical Help line. They did answer this line with a real person, but they hung up on me once they heard my request to have them over night a new stator to me at my expense. They hung up on me the second time I called and didn't answer the phone on my third call.

I had greased the skids at my dealer when I was there last Saturday afternoon, and when I called them this morning they already had my order for a stock stator loaded and ready to go. It looks like I will be picking up a low oomph stator tomorrow morning.

I pulled my Electrosport stator when I got home from work today. For those that have never seen an ES stator, when new the windings are a light power blue. I have ~30k miles on this stator. It has never been taxed beyond heated grips and a small number or usages with my PIAA lights. My electrical system has never blown a fuse for any reason. Here is what I found when I pulled my stator:

StatorDamage.jpg

StatorDamageClose.jpg

My, what a fine toasty stator it is. My phase problem is pretty clear to see with these two fused windings.

Tomorrow morning I should have a new stator and by tomorrow night I should be operational again. I'm still planning to pull out of Sandown before sun-up on Thursday, and I expect a Friday PM arrival in Lewisburg. Small details like a clean bike may be have to be omitted :(

Edited to add:

What a new Electrosport stator for a FJR looks like:

ElectrosportStator.jpg

Well, I'm in the crunch mode to be able to leave on Thursday morning.
Electosport was unable to help me in the time frame that I needed this morning, all their phones are set up for a return call only. I tried to back-door my need for a new stator by calling their Technical Help line. They did answer this line with a real person, but they hung up on me once they heard my request to have them over night a new stator to me at my expense. They hung up on me the second time I called and didn't answer the phone on my third call.

I had greased the skids at my dealer when I was there last Saturday afternoon, and when I called them this morning they already had my order for a stock stator loaded and ready to go. It looks like I will be picking up a low oomph stator tomorrow morning.

I pulled my Electrosport stator when I got home from work today. For those that have never seen an ES stator, the windings are a light power blue. I have ~30k miles on this stator. It has never been taxed beyond heated grips and a small number or usages with my PIAA lights. My electrical system has never blown a fuse for any reason. Here is what I found when I pulled my stator:

StatorDamage.jpg

StatorDamageClose.jpg

My, what a fine toasty stator it is. My phase problem is pretty clear to see with these two fused windings.

Tomorrow morning I should have a new stator and by tomorrow night I should be operational again. I'm still planning to pull out of Sandown before sun-up on Thursday, and I expect a Friday PM arrival in Lewisburg. Small details like a clean bike may be have to be omitted :(
Hey, I've seen plenty of them statoasters on my kz1300, Alan. I can almost smell that puppy from here. I think it's cool you have a great attitude, given all the recent El Toro Poo Poo you've gone through.

There are no FJR OEM stators in the USA, the FJR seems to be 'to young to need this part' so it is not in any dealers parts plan.

My dealer did find an Electrosport stator in stock in WI and has arranged to have it over-nighted to their shop where I can pick it up some time tomorrow afternoon. Due to life's other little intrusions, that will give me about 4 hrs to do the install and prepare for the trip tomorrow evening. If things don't go exactly as planned I could be driving a cage to EOM. In any case I WILL arrive some way.

I look forward to EOM!!! They say that there is no satisfaction in something that is too easy, I'd like to try that and see if it is true :lol:

This past weekend while I was on a road trip to Vermont I noticed that the data was all over the place. Sometimes at a stop I couldn't get 12volts... sometimes at speed I couldn't get more than 13.5 volts and other times it was 14.14. I would be just riding along at the same rpm and the data would wander all over the place.

So while I was in getting the tires replaced I thought I should have them look at the stator. When they opened it up they discovered that one going bad. Start of something bad. So I had them reinstall the stock stator. Rock steady readings on the data after installing the stock stator.

I will take a picture and post them up tonight.

Wow. Just wow. I haven't been treated that shitty EVER by ANY company. Giving the customer a firm "no, I'm sorry, we can't do that" for stuff against your policy sucks, but hanging up and/or not answering the phone is just unacceptable.

Plus not being able to get a live customer service rep is unacceptable too. That makes it sound like they're having a really high return rate, and they don't want to deal with their customers about it, and just sweep it under the rug. This is how Iomega acted when their drives started having the "click of death"

Electrosport will never get my business. They can suck my non-dairy creamer. I don't care how good their product is.

"I don't care how good their product is."

Ummm,

From the amount of crispy pictures I've seen here, I'd say not very.

Wow. Just wow. I haven't been treated that shitty EVER by ANY company. Giving the customer a firm "no, I'm sorry, we can't do that" for stuff against your policy sucks, but hanging up and/or not answering the phone is just unacceptable.

Plus not being able to get a live customer service rep is unacceptable too. That makes it sound like they're having a really high return rate, and they don't want to deal with their customers about it, and just sweep it under the rug. This is how Iomega acted when their drives started having the "click of death"

Electrosport will never get my business. They can suck my non-dairy creamer. I don't care how good their product is.
Well, the company is getting hit hard from many angles in the MC world. I personally know of 6 V-Stars that this happened to with Electrosport Staters and a few RoadStars as well. A couple of them actually caught fire. I saw one of them. Smoke started coming out, he jumped off, and poof...flames out from under the seat coming from the ES connector. And these people weren't even running much more than stock farkles. How are these people still in business?

I've had great service from . https://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/ Never tried them for FJRparts tho.
Rick's is probably 2-3 miles from my house. So far all they offer are rebuilds for FJR starters, rewinds of OEM stators and OEM R/Rs. I would be willing to bet that if I took one of my toasty stators in to them it would be the first one that they have seen. Hmm, may be a project for a cold rainy day...

If the insulation on the steel laminations fails you can really develop some hot spots. The core the coils are formed around is a lamination of many thin sheets of steel. Each layer of steel has an insulation coating which electrically isolates it from adjoining layers. If the insulation fails circulating currents can flow in the steel creating additional heat.

More likely the wire insulation is failing from high temperatures and shorting together adjacent coils or shorting coils to the grounded core steel.

Here are the pictures of my stator. As you can tell just one appears to be melting down. It cause the voltage at the data to vary.

I suppose if I didn't have something so I could watch the voltage I wouldn't thought anything was wrong until I was "dead in the water" so to speak.

366130528.jpg

366130527.jpg

I've had great service from . https://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/ Never tried them for FJRparts tho.
Rick's is probably 2-3 miles from my house. So far all they offer are rebuilds for FJR starters, rewinds of OEM stators and OEM R/Rs. I would be willing to bet that if I took one of my toasty stators in to them it would be the first one that they have seen. Hmm, may be a project for a cold rainy day...
Bring a spool of the high temp magnet wire we were talking about on the phone when you go and see if he'd be willing to rewind an ES stator with it.

I'm confused <again>

Rick's Web Sight shows nothin' for a stator for my '04

My old '07 Dennis Kirk catalog lists a Rick's stator for Gen I Fjr1300 03-04 part number 20-1177 (note #6 - Right side)

Here it is with no reference to a FJR1300

it refs 98-01 R1's

huuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm...

Latest posts