Embroidered Patch | Apply on Waterproof Jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambler

Reaction score
(Been off the forum for a little while. now that i'm back, missed being here.)

Question:
Is there an 'easy' way to apply an embroidered patch to waterproof jacket - in my case First Gear Kilimanjaro - without damaging the 'waterproof' of the jacket?
I currently have a patch with, if needed, an iron-on backing.

Use "Tear Mender".

You can find it at Tractor Supply, among others.

I use it to permanently re-attach Velcro when the

stitching comes undone.

Use "Tear Mender". You can find it at Tractor Supply, among others.

I use it to permanently re-attach Velcro when the

stitching comes undone.
Thanks. I hadn't heard of this.

So you use this like glue? And it won't damage waterproof material?

Good tip, SLK. Hadn't heard of Tear Mender either, but I bet I'll find lots of uses for it. I wouldn't want to iron on most waterproof fabrics, and most adhesives wouldn't be flexible enough.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Rambler" data-cid="1236270" data-time="1433900173"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SLK50" data-cid="1236191" data-time="1433880387"><p><br />

Use "Tear Mender". <br />

You can find it at Tractor Supply, among others. <br />

I use it to permanently re-attach Velcro when the<br />

stitching comes undone.</p></blockquote>

Thanks. I hadn't heard of this. <br />

So you use this like glue? And it won't damage waterproof material?</p></blockquote>

From the bottle: "water-proof, permanent , quick-drying,

flexible, UV resistant, acid free".

Feels like latex.

Use sparingly because it won't come off.

I weight the area to assure a good bond and

allow it to cure for 48 hours before wearing or washing.

No experience with moto-gear, but plenty of experience with waterproof hiking and sailing gear.

(1) As you can guess, sewing it on will compromise the waterproofing. Not a lot, but enough to notice if it's raining hard for more than 20 minutes. Adheres great, but use as small as needle as possible that will still penetrate.

(2) Ironing it on can be tricky: too hot an iron will melt the underlying fabric; too cold won't activate the sticky-back goo. (You can use a really hot iron if you place a towel between the iron and your project.)

(3) Glue works well, but beware of the glues that chemically melt the waterproof nylon or Gore-Tex for adhesion. That ruins the waterproofness, and makes an ugly scar on the jacket/pants.

I applied iron-on reflective tape to my mesh Yamaha armored jacket and my Alpinestars ventilated pants. Medium-hot iron, T-shirt between the iron and the project, and lots of patience with a dozen iron strokes for each location. Final look was great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sew it on. Slather the patch and stitching with Camp Dry. Seal the stitching on the inside with Tear Mender. If it leaks it will be slight and the cup of water in your crotch and the stream of water running down the crack of your a$$ will divert your attention from the patch.

Sew it on. Slather the patch and stitching with Camp Dry. Seal the stitching on the inside with Tear Mender. If it leaks it will be slight and the cup of water in your crotch and the stream of water running down the crack of your a$$ will divert your attention from the patch.
Thanks for the Tip!

Asides, does Camp Dry work well on Boots too?

Edit: The Boots I have are Icon Patrol - supposed to be waterproof. But wondering if CampDry will add some more protection.

As for the boots, I wouldn't do anything until they've proven to be NOT waterproof.

Wet socks and feet are smelly and uncomfortable, but not dangerous unless temps are freezing. Ride more, worry less.

Thanks for the Tip!

Asides, does Camp Dry work well on Boots too?

Edit: The Boots I have are Icon Patrol - supposed to be waterproof. But wondering if CampDry will add some more protection.
Camp Dry is better for garments, not so much for boots, though for fabric foot wear, it will help a little bit. It won't make porous gear waterproof, and it won't make gear waterproof to the point where you'll be dry riding a motorcycle, unless you're riding a Wing or BMW, or riding an FJR on a sunny day.

dont' destroy your boots with camp dry.

if and when they begin to leak, Nixwax them. follow the instructions and do it twice. they will retain their breathability and shed water like a duck. and your feet won't rot in them from the camp dry you didn't put on them.