Engine Didn't Grenade/Something Happened/And Final Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some interesting reading should the RF not do the job.

A commercial, Yamaha internal engine(carbon cleaner):

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-ACC-CLEAN-D1-00-Internal-Clnr-ACCCLEAND100/dp/B009460FYM It's NOT supposed to be sold to the public but can be found.

A long thread but specifically posts 48, 53 and 78:

https://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/forum/general-discussion/yamaha-outboard-forum/25452-yamaha-9-9-4t-oil-consumption/page4

*Member "Rodbolt" is a Master Marine Mechanic of over 3 decades and knows his stuff..

I still have not read any definite original cause for this...shutdown. It was locked up but it wasn't. It had a cylinder full of fuel but there was nothing wrong with the injector. Weren't there gold bars in the oil? I forget now, it has been so long since all of this started.

Other than a lot of carbon and valves needing adjustment I don't see where anything got "fixed".

Maybe one of the noobs can help diagnose it for me.

Man you old timers get to where you get a few thousand posts and you just look for nubis to pick on.

biggrin.png

To be honest, we don't have to look. Nubes are lined up doing stuff asking to be next.

Wait a second! Did I see "nipple" in there somewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have not read any definite original cause for this...shutdown. It was locked up but it wasn't. It had a cylinder full of fuel but there was nothing wrong with the injector. Weren't there gold bars in the oil? I forget now, it has been so long since all of this started.
Other than a lot of carbon and valves needing adjustment I don't see where anything got "fixed".

Maybe one of the noobs can help diagnose it for me.
Metal in oil ? Where did it come from ? Happy its running.

First, I never saw the oil that came out, so I can't confirm there was metal in it. It possible it was drained into a dirty pan.

Second, the only problem I have confirmed is that 5 of the 8 exhaust valve clearances were out of spec (open) and the others were close. Oddly, 2 of the three that were in spec were #2 cylinder. There was only one intake that was out of spec and it was #1-2. At this point carbon build up is the only real problem I have seen. I still have another clearance check to do since running it to temperature and putting some water through it.

Believe me, after all I have done and found no smoking gun I am concerned that it could reoccur.

First, I never saw the oil that came out, so I can't confirm there was metal in it. It possible it was drained into a dirty pan.Second, the only problem I have confirmed is that 5 of the 8 exhaust valve clearances were out of spec (open) and the others were close. Oddly, 2 of the three that were in spec were #2 cylinder. There was only one intake that was out of spec and it was #1-2. At this point carbon build up is the only real problem I have seen. I still have another clearance check to do since running it to temperature and putting some water through it.

Believe me, after all I have done and found no smoking gun I am concerned that it could reoccur.
To be completely serious (yeah, I know. But I will try!) I know what you do for a living and I know your troubleshooting skills should be excellent. I know that if you have not found A Reason you have to be concerned. You know the history of this bike, you know everything about it. I cannot blame you for going through it and trying to keep it going. Certainly it should have a lot of life left in it.

I don't have any Good Advice but I do have a lot of confidence in you. This has been a Good Thread. I sure hope it has a happy ending.

Thanks for the kind words Andrew.

It appears that the carbon cleaning was successful. The clearances all tightened up with 4-1 exhaust and 1-2 intake out of spec tight. Did the best I could with the shims I had to get everything close to the 70 percentile. 1-2 and 2-1 intakes were the only ones I didn't have the shims to get to the 70th. They were left at 0.160 and 0.180 respectively. I will be doing another check after EOM and will replenish my shim stock.

The bike is on it's way back home with my brother right now. Took it for a ride yesterday to take it through the gears. I still can't believe how tight that bike is with over 100k on it. It ran great. I will see it again a week from this Wednesday. Everyone at EOM will see it the next few days.

Congrates!!

You might have him consider running Ring Free regularly.

Or at least a shock dose every once in awhile- Great stuff!!

Out of curiosity, (if you have the time), try another leak down test... I'd be curious

how much it improved

Last edited by a moderator:
So... is the moral of the story ... Carbon build-up can be a bitch! Use RFree or SFoam or Techron annually.
punk.gif