Engine ID Number

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky1300

Reaction score
I have finally taken delivery on a "new to me" 2009. I'm terribly excited and have commenced farkeling thanks to you guys.

I tried to transfer to title today, but I've run into a strange issue that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

In Minnesota we need the engine number in order to transfer the title, I looked on the back of the block on the raised piece of aluminum and found nothing but a shiny blank piece of metal.

I called the dealer that the bike was originally purchased from, they gave me the proper engine #, but said they usually don't verify the # on anything but the shipping manifest.

I don't suspect the original owner of any wrong doing, he's a good guy. I just want to make sure that I don't have problems w/ the state when I decide to sell.

Anyone have any info on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to make sure you're looking in the correct spot, here's where the motor number is:

motor-02.jpg

Just above, and to the right, of the U-Joint. Fairly difficult to see with the motor in the frame.

On a Gen I, the number is on the back of the casing and one must use a mirror to read it.

Gen II....I thought they were on the right side of the casing and easier to see. Someone with a Gen II? Anyone with knowledge? Fairlaner? Ionbeam? Wfooshee?

On my '06, the engine number is located on the right side, lower rear engine mount, just inboard of the brake lever. The casting area on the rear of the engine above and right of the output shaft is blank.

Don't have a picture handy, post up if you'd like to see the location.

--G

I was afraid I was the only one with a blank tag!

The number that you guys see on your Gen II bikes is called the PID according to my dealer and the DMV.

This is my PID

https://img807.imageshack.us/i/fjrpid.jpg/

The Engine ID# is P512E-000XXXX (7 digits on the second part)

The Primary ID# is P512E-00XXX (6 digits on the second part)

Paperwork and bureaucratic crap getting in the way of me enjoying my bike!!

Any more ideas for me?

Just checked the "raised pad" on the rear of the engine block and mine is blank also. I purchased the bike new with 5 miles on it (I put 3 miles on during a test ride) so to the best of my knowledge this is the original engine, as you said the PIN does have only 6 digits at the end. Does the bike have to go through inspection where all the serial numbers are being verified? Otherwise play "stupid" like the original selling dealer did and use the engine number supplied on the certificate of origin from Yamaha. In Connecticut the "missing" engine number isn't a problem as vehicle registrations are based strictly off the VIN. Hope everything works out for you is the original selling dealer also located in MN? If so maybe they can help you out?

Playing stupid is what I do best! :dribble:

Just knowing that you guys have the same number situation as me makes me feel better anyway.

Thanks for the help!

Ben

Latest posts