EOM 2014 Location & Date Poll and Opinions thread.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G/F has got the noose already hanging from the tree, pressure is on...
"If I cut down the noose, I can do both!"
KJ ya dumb ass! Cut the TREE down!
Bob- I got the chainsaw all oiled up, she's not far from going down the road (both that is!)

On Topic; SInce I missed this past year, why not MaggieV for my vote? Only neg I've heard was that the hotel was a Grade C at best. Oh well, bet the beer was whet!

Last edited by a moderator:
On Topic; SInce I missed this past year, why not MaggieV for my vote? Only neg I've heard was that the hotel was a Grade C at best. Oh well, bet the beer was whet!
The beer was excellent until the keg of IPA ran dry, then it went from excellent to very good. Still nothing to complain about. The bar and restaurant both had good prices and the food and beverages were good. Service was slow and the rooms were tired and outdated, but I've stayed at much worse places. Overall, I'd go back.

The beer was excellent until the keg of IPA ran dry, then it went from excellent to very good. Still nothing to complain about. The bar and restaurant both had good prices and the food and beverages were good. Service was slow and the rooms were tired and outdated, but I've stayed at much worse places. Overall, I'd go back.
U guys drank down a kegger in style I'm betting. So next year, we chip in more and say get 2... or 3... oh crap, just bring the whole damn beer truck!

I'm not sure about the regular rooms, Line and I had a king. Same thing, tired room in need of some reno's. But it was definitely clean enough. Considering most rally's the room is just used to sleep in this is no big deal. I'd love to go back to MV. I noticed their were some other accommodations on the 'strip' that looked big enough and more modern. Probably considerably more pricey too.

I didn't vote because my requirements are a bit of a special case owing to the distance I need to travel. Anywhere in Appalachia region is fine with me. But I'll give special consideration to WV, VA and NC. Tennessee and Kentucky are nice and have their spots, but their are some pretty big sections of both states where the roads aren't that compelling. The same is a true of Eastern VA as well, but Western VA has some great roads.

In short, build it, and I'll do my best to be there.

Just a few thoughts to consider: More times than not EOM gets blessed with some (often lots of) liquid sunshine. There have been some exceptions, but by and large the event has had more than its fair share of wetness My guess is that this has a lot to do with holding the event in September, which as every weather buff knows is tropical storm season on the Atlantic.

NAFO (CFO) is in September, but they don't get the hurricanes and tropical storms that run up the right coast in the fall.

Summer months are too hot and probably too busy in the region of EOM,

CFR has vacated its traditional June slot this year and will be headed to The Rock in August.

NERDS doesn't look like it will repeat this year as nobody seems to want to take the helm (and I'm taking a break)

Why not have EOM in June in one of the aforementioned places instead? NC, WV, KY or TN (WV is my personal fave) are all good places to be in late May or early June. And just think how great it would be to get such a solid early start on the ride season!!

It may also make it easier for folks to do both EOM and NAFO.

Just a few thoughts to consider: More times than not EOM gets blessed with some (often lots of) liquid sunshine. There have been some exceptions, but by and large the event has had more than its fair share of wetness My guess is that this has a lot to do with holding the event in September, which as every weather buff knows is tropical storm season on the Atlantic.
Why not have EOM in June in one of the aforementioned places instead? NC, WV, KY or TN (WV is my personal fave) are all good places to be in late May or early June. And just think how great it would be to get such a solid early start on the ride season!!
Yes, there can be Atlantic storms but average rainfall is higher in May and June. The best times for riding are before Memorial Day (May 26, 2014) or after Labor Day because between those two dates tourist traffic increases by factors. However, prior to Memorial Day it can get serious cold in the highlands.

By far, lowest average rainfall is October which makes having EOM on the last weekend in September probably what we should have been doing all along. Unfortunately, October is for the hordes of leaf peepers. Not a bad thing to be doing but not so great for a riding rally.

A side note regarding the Maggie Valley Inn. Something Beth (co-owner) mentioned to me was that they have an ongoing capitol improvements budget. They work on the rooms in blocks or projects annually; so if we were to return, there would be changes. They are a family owned and locally run enterprise - no corporate chain involvement, which supports the comments of the property as a whole being "tired". What I did like was the fact that the owners (Beth and Mike) were there 24/7 - they live on site and manage with a hands on approach. Beth was clearing tables in the bar / restaurant Thursday and Friday evening - They were, beyond a doubt, one of the best staffs to work with from my side of the fence.

Fred makes some points about weather and timing. No one can control the weather. It's a game of averages. Moving to June in NC - the temps and humidiy potential is what would concern me. But again, it's a game of averages - I made the trek to Jennings-Randolph Lake in WV in August; I expected the temps to be borderline in the hot range. We had 60-70's all weekend. And rain on Sunday... June is bad for me - I've got a daughter who will be spinning a pony around barrels and bring home some ribbons next June and July - getting away during that schedule will be tough for me.

Good discussion points here though - it's good to have this conversation simmering now.

Wayne

The hotel was just fine. It was my kind of place. I've stayed in shit holes and enjoyed them too. We weren't there for the decor. We were there for the riding. The beer was cold, The food was good and reasonably priced, The A/C worked and the sheets were clean. That's pretty much all you can ask for at that price. I'd stay there again in a heart beat. :)

I hope to go to both rallies. MV was very good but my personal favorite since 06 has been Lewisburg WV. We even overnighted there on the way home to ride some of the local roads. The former Briar Inn (can't remember the new name ) seems to have all the requirements including on site hall, restaurants and gas next door, and really great roads. Fred's suggestion of earlier makes sense to me but I would choose May, which is my favorite month for bike trips.

George

I'm on the same planning strategy right now. My problem is that I will need some help finding "interesting" roads through Illinois and Indiana. That means at least a 5-600 mile day to get to Louisville, KY. "Interesting" can be found from KY onward. I've got plenty of time to play with g-maps and S&T over the winter...

The goal is to hit both rallies next year and to that we shall see, but I think the Maggie Valley Inn was/is an ideal location for our gang. Plenty of juicy roads!
I know a few roads in southern Indiana (southwest of Indianapolis and points south), down to Kentucky in the great roads from a previous EOM. Tie those together and string them down into EOM teritory...

Sounds like we have a Burnspot, Wheaton, extrememarine express forming... Annette set the bar high this year; a 500+ mile day is doable with right amount of Tim Horton's and Panera sprinkled in...

I'm on the same planning strategy right now. My problem is that I will need some help finding "interesting" roads through Illinois and Indiana. That means at least a 5-600 mile day to get to Louisville, KY. "Interesting" can be found from KY onward. I've got plenty of time to play with g-maps and S&T over the winter...

The goal is to hit both rallies next year and to that we shall see, but I think the Maggie Valley Inn was/is an ideal location for our gang. Plenty of juicy roads!
I know a few roads in southern Indiana (southwest of Indianapolis and points south), down to Kentucky in the great roads from a previous EOM. Tie those together and string them down into EOM teritory...

Since we are just talking about throwing ideas around..... I don't think I will be going to EOM next year.... NAFO yes It's been a while since I been to La Crosse (gotta go back) My dance card is already filling up for next year.... God! when did I have time to work before?

Since we are just talking about throwing ideas around..... I don't think I will be going to EOM next year.... NAFO yes It's been a while since I been to La Crosse (gotta go back) My dance card is already filling up for next year.... God! when did I have time to work before?
Well, for never going anywhere, you sure get around.

NAFO (CFO) is in September, but they don't get the hurricanes and tropical storms that run up the right coast in the fall.

Summer months are too hot and probably too busy in the region of EOM,

CFR has vacated its traditional June slot this year and will be headed to The Rock in August.

NERDS doesn't look like it will repeat this year as nobody seems to want to take the helm (and I'm taking a break)

It may also make it easier for folks to do both EOM and NAFO.
I'd say sum pretty good points/suggestions by Fred. Either way, if no NERDS (in '14) I can fit 'em all in..

EOM - May/June?

CFR - Mid August

NAFO - End of Sept

My count has about 3-1/2 weeks off to complete the above.

That leaves the hottest (July) for a Month long... "Thong Bikini's and JetSki" Rally on my lake. Hotdamn!, a very exciting sounding summer is shaping up!

SuperStock_1760-18028.jpg

This poll has been open for a week. Then voting data shows that the majority of those who have voted want EOM in Maggie Valley on 26-29 September 2014. We'll got another week, but at that point we need to slap the table on it and move forward.

Wayne, I really like the Middlesboro, KY area. Decent town, several good motels, and fantastic riding; I just got back from a 1000 mile trip in eastern KY. I'll even help plan the routes. :)

Wayne, I really like the Middlesboro, KY area. Decent town, several good motels, and fantastic riding; I just got back from a 1000 mile trip in eastern KY. I'll even help plan the routes.
smile.png
We had EOM near there at Cumberland Falls one year. It was fair but a lot of road sharing with coal trucks.

Wayne, I really like the Middlesboro, KY area. Decent town, several good motels, and fantastic riding; I just got back from a 1000 mile trip in eastern KY. I'll even help plan the routes.
smile.png
We had EOM near there at Cumberland Falls one year. It was fair but a lot of road sharing with coal trucks.
...and coal trucks don't like to share too well.
I had a great time at the KY EOM...but I'm looking forward to Maggie Valley...should be in my back yard this time next year...I hope.