EOM 2016 - Wytheville Virginia on September 22-25, 2016 - Ramada Inn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah...well you better hope no LEOs even see it...or it will be theirs, and you'll have a $300 reminder that you should have left it at home.
Probably cheaper than a misdemeanor reckless charge (+20 or > 80 in VA). I keep mine going unless I'm on slow streets in a town big enough to have a Walmart.

yeah...well you better hope no LEOs even see it...or it will be theirs, and you'll have a $300 reminder that you should have left it at home.
Probably cheaper than a misdemeanor reckless charge (+20 or > 80 in VA). I keep mine going unless I'm on slow streets in a town big enough to have a Walmart.
Are you including the cost of the detector in you calculation? They will confiscate it.

Room booked. It looks like I can pair this up with a business trip to Pittsburg. Thanks for putting this together and great price on the Hotel!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
259af7fdb9826dbf4d2b2c6ddeee79b5.jpg

So, how will the meet work? Will there be formal groups of riders that I can join for the daily rides, or it is catch-as-catch-can? (I did see that there was one offer for people to tag-along already.) Judging from some of the old meet posts, there will likely be GPS routes provided which is nice, but it will be more fun with a group than solo.

I'll arrive early on the first day so I can hopefully introduce my girlfriend and myself to some of you who are already there. Will there be a section of parking lot reserved for the group? I know that there will be more details in time, I just thought I'd ask (way) ahead of time.

Thanks!

46.2-1079. Radar detectors

"A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law-enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the Commonwealth for law-enforcement purposes. It shall be unlawful to use any such device or mechanism on any such motor vehicle on the highways. It shall be unlawful to sell any such device or mechanism in the Commonwealth. However, provisions of this section shall not apply to any receiver of radio waves utilized for lawful purposes to receive any signal from a frequency lawfully licensed by any state or federal agency.

"This section shall not be construed to authorize the forfeiture to the Commonwealth of any such device or mechanism. Any such device or mechanism may be taken by the arresting officer if needed as evidence, and, when no longer needed, shall be returned to the person charged with a violation of this section, or at that person's request, and his expense, mailed to an address specified by him. Any unclaimed devices may be destroyed on court order after six months have elapsed from the final date for filing an appeal.

"Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated."

So, it looks like you can get your confiscated detector back, but you have to ask for it and you have to pay for shipping. You probably should let the LEO know that you will be asking for it back at the time he confiscates it.

So, how will the meet work? Will there be formal groups of riders that I can join for the daily rides, or it is catch-as-catch-can? (I did see that there was one offer for people to tag-along already.) Judging from some of the old meet posts, there will likely be GPS routes provided which is nice, but it will be more fun with a group than solo.
I'll arrive early on the first day so I can hopefully introduce my girlfriend and myself to some of you who are already there. Will there be a section of parking lot reserved for the group? I know that there will be more details in time, I just thought I'd ask (way) ahead of time.

Thanks!
No formal groups other than show up in the parking lot in the morning and join in a like-minded group (you'll find that out the night before...
wink.png
). When in doubt, look for the this guy who was the Pied Piper of the last EOM and he did a grand job at showing us around...

Bob/Intech (aka FYB... long story... you'll understand once you meet him...
laugh.png
)

DSC_9321-XL.jpg

You can't miss him, HyperPete. That face is easy to pick out in a crowd. He's always smiling. Probably because he's half lit. Just like the rest of us. This is going to be fun... Again! :)

Browse through the FAQ section here.

Oh, and PM sent, hyperpete...

Thanks!

Are you including the cost of the detector in you calculation? They will confiscate it.
A Jalopnik writer got a $400 fine, 3 days jail, 10 day suspended license, plus whatever the lawyer cost, for 93 in a 55. Any VA cop that wants my V1 can have it.

A Jalopnik writer got a $400 fine, 3 days jail, 10 day suspended license, plus whatever the lawyer cost, for 93 in a 55. Any VA cop that wants my V1 can have it.
Why don't they just take you in the ditch and shoot ya. It might hurt less. WTF?

After all of this info about the VA obsession on speeding, I'm thinking I'll just keep an eye on my speedometer while I'm in the state. I certainly don't want to piss off any LEO while I'm visiting their jurisdiction. I don't want to be saying: Don't tase me Bro! While I'm wetting my pants. :)

Virginia is NOT the place to speed! Reckless driving can be charged as a crime. https://jalopnik.com/what-every-driver-should-know-about-speeding-in-virgini-1669902845

In addition to excessive speed, there are numerous ways to get a reckless driving charge: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#points_6.asp

Through first hand experience...This includes "riding two abreast in one lane of traffic". This can include pulling up alongside one another at a traffic light or stop sign in VA.

Mona and I got popped for this years ago on Skyline Drive and had to take a vacation day and return to VA for an appearance in front of a magistrate.