EOM 2016 - Wytheville Virginia on September 22-25, 2016 - Ramada Inn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine will be breach the threshold of being totaled once I send the second parts list in. Should have the option of buying in back in the settlement. With my first '09 wreck, the salvage value was $2400; they deducted that from the book value and I walked away with a check and the bike. That bike was not worth rebuilding, but I salvaged and parted it out.

With my current scenario, it will be totaled, I'll take the settlement (minus the salvage value) then repair it. I'll come out ahead.

Interested to see what your options settle out to be - do you have the time / energy / desire to repair it yourself, or walk away and pickup another one??

Well, just heard from the shop. New number is $11,233
Going to talk to the insurance adjuster Monday to see if I can save her.

Honestly not sure what to do right now. I'm considering asking if the insurance will settle at $1 below whatever the magic number for totaling it is and then working as much of a deal with the shop as I can to fix the truly broken parts. I mean I can get the bags painted and who cares about a dented muffler but the forks and headlight assembly they fix. Something like that maybe.

Honestly not sure what to do right now. I'm considering asking if the insurance will settle at $1 below whatever the magic number for totaling it is and then working as much of a deal with the shop as I can to fix the truly broken parts. I mean I can get the bags painted and who cares about a dented muffler but the forks and headlight assembly they fix. Something like that maybe.
If you can't or don't want to repair it yourself then talk with the shop and see what they can do. Sometimes you can buy a totaled vehicle from the insurance company and have the shop do the repairs the way you require, like repainting the scraped plastic parts, and still come out ahead. You will probably end up with a salvage title, which reduces your resale value significantly, so you need to consider that.

If you can't or don't want to repair it yourself then talk with the shop and see what they can do. Sometimes you can buy a totaled vehicle from the insurance company and have the shop do the repairs the way you require, like repainting the scraped plastic parts, and still come out ahead. You will probably end up with a salvage title, which reduces your resale value significantly, so you need to consider that.
I'm pretty sure a scenario where I end up with a salvage title on a 2016 isn't attractive to me.

On two occasions I have worked with the adjuster to move the fix cost down below the total cost and end up with a bike that doesn't have a SALVAGE title. In both occasions, the drop in value over the total amount was less than $400. Did it on my deer strike 4 years ago on the FJR and a month ago on my FJ09 deer strike in Montana.

To add to the humor ( if there is such a thing when it comes to deer): Wednesday last (two days ago) I suffered yet another deer strike with my FJR. I'm okay again, no injuries. Now with the bike being an 05, I'm sure it will be a total, only because it will be over $3000 and I will again negotiate to keep the cost below Totaled. It rides just fine with the left side plastics all broken and mended with Gorilla tape, and saddlebag tied on with rope. Finished my 5 day ride and 2300 miles. My alternate ride, since I couldn't continue to VA after getting sick on the way there.

It's all good.

In the case of a well depreciated older bike, I can understand that the value to you is greater than the book value. But in the case of an essentially new bike, unless the deductible is huge, it would seem to make more sense to just total it, get the check, and buy another one. Especially If they will allow you to strip the totalled bike of any farkles before they take it. That would be the wisest financial decision, IMO. Good luck to you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damnit, Ken...that sucks. Guess there was more damage then what was visible. Hope you get it all worked out soon.

I'm with Fred. Take the check and walk away. Your time is worth too much to monkey around with a totaled bike. When I hit a deer with my Tenere two years ago I informed Progressive that the forks where bent. They totaled the bike sight unseen and I agreed since I have no interest in finding hidden damage later that may affect handling or safety.

My wife just dealt with a similar event last year. Good luck negotiating with your insurance company. We HAD State Farm at the time of her accident. They wouldn't even discuss anything with us. Took one look at dealership estimate and that was it. They never even sent an adjuster to look at it.

Food for thought; if the bike is totaled, it will no longer be insurable. Dump $$$ into it at your own risk, because if anything else happens, it will be on your dime. Also, does your state require insurance?

Food for thought; if the bike is totaled, it will no longer be insurable. Dump $$$ into it at your own risk, because if anything else happens, it will be on your dime. Also, does your state require insurance?
It probably varies by state, but in NY you will get a salvage title and it is insurable, but you can only get limited coverage, like liability.

Are there still states where insurance is not required?

It probably varies by state, but in NY you will get a salvage title and it is insurable, but you can only get limited coverage, like liability.

Are there still states where insurance is not required?
Welcome to New Hampshire. Live Free of Die.

Motorcycle Insurance is not mandatory in Florida.

Niether is wearing a helmet but, you have to have medical insurance if you don't wear one.

Likewise, in New Hampshire you need to be "financially responsible" to not carry insurance, but here is no need to prove it until after something happens. Of course that assumes that you own the vehicle entirely. If the bank has a lien on it they will insist that you carry full coverage insurance regardless of your wherewithal.

Too much to lose... not carrying insurance isn't an option to me. Hence why I am not likely to want to buy back a salvaged bike and try and rebuild it. Not too mention the time I would spend rebuilding it would mean I would never get a chance to ride it. If it's totaled then so be it. I'll get a new one. Won't hear more from insurance until after the adjuster talks to the shop Monday or Tuesday.

I'm sorry to hear this, Ken. I hope it all works out, to your favor, in the end.

I'm glad you weren't injured more as well.

You looked like you had been through the wringer when you got to EOM Central. I was surprised you emceed on Sat. night, you must have good medicine.